Windows 10: Windows 10 not booting from usb beyond 1607

Discus and support Windows 10 not booting from usb beyond 1607 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have this problem where Windows 10 refuses to boot past a certain version. I make a bootable usb stick using rufus and boot from that. Windows 8.1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Klas_MSa, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Klas_MSa Win User

Windows 10 not booting from usb beyond 1607

I have this problem where Windows 10 refuses to boot past a certain version.

I make a bootable usb stick using rufus and boot from that.
    Windows 8.1 boots and installs fine.
    Latest Ubuntu boots and installs fine.
    Windows 10 1607 boots and installs fine.

But as soon as I go beyond 1607, like 1703 or the later 20H2 it fails to boot.
    I press F8 to get to the boot menu. Select the first or second partition of the usb stick.
    The blue windows logo comes up.
    It sits like that for about 10-15 seconds, no loader circle is ever shown.
    Then the light from the keyboard+mouse goes out, monitor loses signal, beep. It resets.

It is the same thing if I install 1607 and then run windows update. It seemingly installs the update but when it is time for the automatic reboot it does the same thing.
    And then boots back to windows with a failed update message.
    "Windows 10 Update Error 0XC1900101 – 0x20017
    Installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

What I have tried:
    Booting from different usb sticks/disks.
    Removing memory sticks, only having one, in different slots.
    Using a memory stick from another PC.
    Removing the gpu.
    Removing the M2 disk.
    Making the boot stick with the Media Creation tool.
    A bunch of different Bios settings that I googled.
    Flashing in older versions of the bios.
    Installing 1607, then all drivers from this pagehttps://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z270-I-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/, then running the update.
    Remove some intel dlls from the bootstick then bootingsome cpus apparently had problems with something..
    Running SetupDiag.exe atfer the failed update to see if there was any clues.
    Ran some intel-cpu diagnostics tool, all tests pass.
    And more...

Nothing have worked so far.
    It feels like this is either some bios setting, some bug in in windows or some mismatch between bios/windows.

If you have any ideas, any bios settings or similar that I could try. That would be much appreciated!

This is the spec:
    ASUS ROG Strix Z270I Gaming, Socket-1151
    Intel Core i7-7700K
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2x8GB / 3000MHz / DDR4 / CL15 / CMD16GX4M2B3000C15
    Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD
    NZXT Kraken X52
    ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GAMING OC
    Corsair PowerSupply PSU SF600 600W SFX

:)

Klas_MSa, Oct 30, 2020

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Oct 30, 2020
  3. Agility Win User
    Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Oct 30, 2020
  4. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 not booting from usb beyond 1607 - Similar Threads - booting usb beyond

2. Booting Windows 10 from usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting Windows 10 from usb: I created a bootable USB drive using Microsoft Media Creation Tool. When I am installing it won't allow me to choose the USB drive. Error saying: "No signed device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers". I searched on the...
  3. Booting Windows 10 from usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting Windows 10 from usb: I created a bootable USB drive using Microsoft Media Creation Tool. When I am installing it won't allow me to choose the USB drive. Error saying: "No signed device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers". I searched on the...
  4. Booting Windows 10 from usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Booting Windows 10 from usb

Booting Windows 10 from usb: Have just built a gaming pc for my son. Can get the motherboard BIOS and am trying to install Windows 10. Have dowloaded on to usb. I can enter "flash mode" and the usb loads up but does not automatically run instead I get the attached screen. What am I doing wrong?[IMG]...
  6. Booting Windows 10 From USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting Windows 10 From USB: I currently am using Linux Ubuntu and want to install windows. I have a bootable usb but I can’t figure out how to actually get it to boot. I go in to BIOS and set the flash drive to the first position but it just boots into Ubuntu anyways. The drive does not show up on the...
  7. Boot Windows 10 from USB, UEFI file for USB not booting.

Boot Windows 10 from USB, UEFI file for USB not booting.: I want to do a fresh install of windows on my ssd with a usb. I don't have access to a secondary windows computer but have downloaded the .iso file on a sandisk 16GB usb from my mac. My pc originally didn't boot with the file in the exfat format so I managed to copy the .iso...
  8. Win10 update beyond 1607 fails

Win10 update beyond 1607 fails: I have a Toshiba laptop, admittedly quite old, that is running 1607 quite satisfactorily - but updates to 1706 or 1 803 fail. The process runs for a considerable time, doing several reboots, but finally reverts to 1607 without any error messages - so I have little idea what...
  9. create windows 10 update 1607 usb media

create windows 10 update 1607 usb media: Hi , I've got an Hp laptop ( energy star , year 2014 ) which prevents booting from Usb stick cause of Secure boot feature when burn the windows 10_1607.iso with Rufus or Microsoft USB/DVD tool . If I used mediacreationtool.exe the created by Microsoft Usb flash drive is...
  10. W.10 1607 Slower Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    W.10 1607 Slower Boot: Hi After the Update yesterday I notice Boot is about 3 seconds longer not that this is a problem I just thought it was worth a mention *Smile 58453