Windows 10: Windows 10 not recognizing Administrator account

Discus and support Windows 10 not recognizing Administrator account in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I first became aware of this when outlook would noy start with 'access denied' saying i don't have permission to access [email protected]????/???.pst... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Izzy Doob, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Izzy Doob Win User

Windows 10 not recognizing Administrator account

I first became aware of this when outlook would noy start with 'access denied' saying i don't have permission to access [email protected]????/???.pst All of my word files are read only' and I can't save as to anywhere except cloud services or an external drive so the problem is permissions on the 'C' drive. I can't move any file or change its permissions (read only - read/write) as I am told I don't have Administrator privileges (I am) I cant claim ownership.

I have checked I have full access in my account properties

I have tried adding the hidden windows 10 administrator, but this can't move or change anything either.

I have also tried

RegEdit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    EnableLUA - Value set to '0'
    NO CHANGE

Command Prompt
    CMD (run as administrator)
    net user administrator /active:yes
    Command updated successfully
    NO CHANGE

netplwiz
    In properties set to 'Administrator' actually I have set all to administrator
    NO CHANGE

lusrmgr.msc
    Checked accounts are enabled

gpedit.msc
    Local Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > Accounts >:Administrator Account Status
    'Administrator' is enabled

secpol.msc = same as above

System Restore
    I cant system restore / undo last restore as access is denied to the restore locations! All I can do is a system reset which will delete ALL of my program files!

I am running bitdefender, this can sometimes block a program, but it always shows it in log and you have the option to allow it. the only thing its been showing is that it has been allowing the system changes I have been making to try and get this working

I have reached the end of what I can do with this. I hope someone here has a better idea what to do before I throw the whole lot in the bin!

Thank you

:)

Izzy Doob, Sep 15, 2020
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Windows 10 not recognizing Administrator account :(

Zakin, Sep 15, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Sep 15, 2020
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 not recognizing Administrator account - Similar Threads - recognizing Administrator account

2. Not recognizing me as administrator in windows 10 Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not recognizing me as administrator in windows 10 Laptop: Hi, I am the only account holder with administrator privilege. However it does not allow me to delete a college email that is listed as work email. How do I solve the problem of my account not being recognized as having administrator privilege?Thanks in anticipation...
  3. Not recognizing me as administrator in windows 10 Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not recognizing me as administrator in windows 10 Laptop: Hi, I am the only account holder with administrator privilege. However it does not allow me to delete a college email that is listed as work email. How do I solve the problem of my account not being recognized as having administrator privilege?Thanks in anticipation...
  4. Not recognizing me as administrator in windows 10 Laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize me as Administrator?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize me as Administrator?: I recently restarted my PC and it loaded up the repair diagnostic screen for whatever reason, but after about 30 minutes my PC finally started. I noticed the sound icon was off with the message "The audio service is not running", in addition to me not being able to open my...
  6. Windows not recognizing administrator

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not recognizing administrator: Today I got on my laptop and it was running off so I went to reboot it. When I click the windows button in the corner and press the power it says, “There are currently no power options available.” So I thought that’s weird and I started looking around at other things. I tried...
  7. Windows 10 not recognizing Administrator account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 not recognizing Administrator account: I first became aware of this when outlook would noy start with 'access denied' saying i don't have permission to access [email protected]????/???.pst All of my word files are read only' and I can't save as to anywhere except cloud services or an external drive so the problem...
  8. Not Recognized as Administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Not Recognized as Administrator: I've read all the posts that apply when my computer isn't recognizing me as the Administrator. The general comment about using cmd in the command window and right-clicking on it to select "Run as Admin" doesn't work because I don't get that selection. When I try the other...
  9. Not recognized as administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not recognized as administrator: I'm trying to install a program but get this prompt. It's the same for all programs. [ATTACH] It seems i cant do anything as an administrator even though i'm the only user on the computer and didnt have this problem before. I tried running CMD as administrator but received...
  10. Windows 10 Pro does not recognize Administrator Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro does not recognize Administrator Account: I am logged in to Windows 10 Pro as an Administrator. The operating system refuses to allow me to unzip an executable file to a folder on my C Drive failing because an Administrator account is required. It does not give me the option to provide my password to authorize the...