Windows 10: Windows 10 not recognizing any keystrokes except for a few keys: more info follows.

Discus and support Windows 10 not recognizing any keystrokes except for a few keys: more info follows. in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello, So my wife and I have a custom built PC. They both have the same CPU and motherboard. Everything else is different: peripherals, hard... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by SeanBiedler, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Windows 10 not recognizing any keystrokes except for a few keys: more info follows.

Hello,

So my wife and I have a custom built PC. They both have the same CPU and motherboard. Everything else is different: peripherals, hard drives, cases and psu. I say this to point out that my computer is currently working fine and I tried moving my keyboard to her computer and it did not solve the problem, even though it is a different keyboard in a different USB slot.

Today she tried to log onto her computer and she found that her keyboard would not respond. The mouse cursor works and I can click on everything on screen and use everything except the shutdown icon. When I open up the software keyboard, the software keyboard responds exactly the same way the hardware one does.

As to what is happening, the only keys that seem to work are E, enter on both the letter side and the numberpad, I can tell the alt, shift, and ctrl keys work on the software keyboard, but nothing else that I have been able to determine.

I've looked up similar issues and have wanted to try some of the solutions offered, however, not being able to log in at all means that my options are limited. I have yet to try any of the recovery options, ie safe mode and what not, so I do not know if that would help yet or not.

So with all that said, has anyone else had this problem before or is this totally unique? Microsoft personnel, is this something that can be fixed? Or is this a wipe the drive and start fresh? I don't remember if my wife has a recovery drive made to reformat and reinstall windows fresh again. It would be ideal to be able to log in and make the recovery usb drive if at all possible. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

-Sean

:)

SeanBiedler, Jan 2, 2019
  2. Rose Ter Win User

windows search not recognizing keystrokes

Hi Alan,

In order for us to assist you regarding the issue on your “search windows,” that won’t recognize any keystrokes.
    You can follow these steps:

Method 1: End Cortana's process

Ending Cortana's process in Task Manager might just do the trick. After ending the process, it will automatically restart almost immediately.

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • Click Cortana. You might have to scroll down a bit to find it.
    • Click End Task.
    For instance, that the above-mentioned troubleshooting steps failed to work you can try the next step.

Method 2: Restart Windows Explorer

Another quick fix attempt, restarting Windows Explorer might jump-start the taskbar search into working again.

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • Click Windows Explorer. It's located near the bottom of the Task Manager menu.
    • Click Restart.

Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have further inquiries.

Rose Ter, Jan 2, 2019
  3. Win 10 keystrokes go bonkers

when I hit one key sometimes it drops down a list to select from

sometimes it takes 2 keystrokes then just hangs

if I persist in trying Win 10 logs off and I have to log on again.

maybe the keystroke autocompletion feature?

Need help. My Win 10 system is now unusable until I resolve this issur.

Using a second PC to enter this problem description.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks/

smartalecktexan, Jan 2, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 not recognizing any keystrokes except for a few keys: more info follows.

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 not recognizing any keystrokes except for a few keys: more info follows.

1. Windows 10 not recognizing any keystrokes except for a few keys: more info follows. - Similar Threads - recognizing keystrokes except

2. Key not vaild any more after a upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Key not vaild any more after a upgrade: So I upgraded my system and added some new drives and now when I go to activate windows it tells me my key is not valid any more. I am at a loss and don't know what to do as it worked before I upgraded. I have been through all the trouble shootings and stuff I can be...
  3. Binding key to multiple keystrokes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Binding key to multiple keystrokes: Hi, Need to bind a specific key to send to input multiple keys. For ex: If user hits y the OS receives 123, if user hits n the OS receives 321. Utils like AutoHotKey could do it but I am curious if this can be done on the OS level. If not, could a looping PowerShell script...
  4. A few more issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A few more issues: I’ve got my computer working up again, but there’s still multiple problems with it. The entire internet section doesn’t work, I can’t find any networks, or even do things like turn on/off airplane mode My mousepad is completely dead, I have to use a physical mouse I can’t...
  5. Windows apps won't recognize keystrokes

in Cortana
    Windows apps won't recognize keystrokes: Hi, When I press the windows key and start typing nothing happens, although its supposed to be starting a search. The same problem occurs when I try to search on windows settings, and when I try to enter a WIFI password. Its like the app wont recognize my keyboard. I...
  6. Windows Explorer only recognizes one keystroke at a time

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer only recognizes one keystroke at a time: I work in folders that have tons and tons of subfolders. To navigate quickly to subfolders I want to reach, I'll type out the first 3-4 letters of the subfolder so that I don't have to scroll down to it, e.g. if the subfolder starts with the name "Generic" but I don't want to...
  7. A few more Tips:

in Windows 10 Customization
    A few more Tips:: More Tips: 1. Read Tips It's in your OS Ask Cortana to open Tips for you. 2. Use multiple desktops 3. Don't show desktop icons 3A. Use Desktop toolbar Desktop isnot a storage location 4. Pin Settings to the taskbar 5. This PC & File Explorer same thing are both in the...
  8. Alt Key Character Inputs (Keystrokes) not working on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alt Key Character Inputs (Keystrokes) not working on Windows 10: hello, I just bought a brand new laptop with Windows 10 installed, which i use for work & study. I have always relied quite heavily upon the Alt key character shortcuts as my line of work requires frequent use of greek characters & mathematical symbols but these commands...
  9. Any ideas as to why my laptop freezes? More info inside

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any ideas as to why my laptop freezes? More info inside: Computer: ASUSTek Q524UQ 2-in-1 Laptop/Tabet -Purchased in early August, 2016 Specs: Intel i7-6500U Dual Core 2.5GHz Processor NVIDIA GeForce 940MX - 2GB 2TB HDD @ 5400 RPM 12GB DDR4 SDRAM @ 2133 MHz NOTICE: I would consider myself a decently experienced...
  10. More info about Hale.exe

in Windows 10 Support
    More info about Hale.exe: how to know if the pc is being monitored secretly? in the task manager there is a hale.exe in the process. what is it? where did it come from? ive search it in google and i cant find what software it came from. 76390

Users found this page by searching for:

1. a program is not recognizing some keystrokes