Windows 10: Windows 10 not recognizing class-compliant MIDI Keyboard Controller

Discus and support Windows 10 not recognizing class-compliant MIDI Keyboard Controller in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; TL;DR: can I force Windows to use a MIDI driver when it mis-recognizes a device? Basically, Windows will see the device, think it is a Generic USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nick_637, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Nick_637 Win User

Windows 10 not recognizing class-compliant MIDI Keyboard Controller

TL;DR: can I force Windows to use a MIDI driver when it mis-recognizes a device?

Basically, Windows will see the device, think it is a Generic USB Audio device instead of a MIDI controller, and installs the wrong drivers without errors. the result is that I cannot use the device as a MIDI controller, which is, well, pointless.

Specifically, I'm using an Alesis V61 MIDI Controller: https://www.alesis.com/products/view/v61

It worked last summer, around July, but I've updated Windows since then. When I plugged it in via USB, it told me that it was "Setting up the device," but it ended up classifying it as a "Generic USB Audio Device" which iswrong. In the device manager, it is listed under "Sound, Video, and game controllers."

I know the keyboard still can communicate, as I used an Alesis program to test it. However, since Windows does not recognize it as a MIDI device, it cannot be used for MIDI applications an easy one to test is at multiplayerpiano.com.

Here, Alesis claims that the V series controllers they make including the V61 areMIDI class compliant, and thus have no manufacturer drivers. Instead, they use generic, Microsoft-provided midi ones.

Naturally, the troubleshooters cannot identify the problem most have nothing to do with hardware and devices other than keyboards, mice, and wireless things anyways, and the "Add a device" option seems only to work with wireless devices, which this is not.

I have also tried restarting my laptop, unplugging the device and uninstalling it using the device manager, and searching the internet for answers. Many sites pointed to having 10 MIDI devices, but I only have this one. I have found some dead-end threads and many that point to specific manufacturer drivers, which obviously don't apply here.

I'm using Windows Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

Thanks for your help!

:)

Nick_637, Feb 6, 2020

2. MIDI USB Class Compliant Devices Do Not Work in Windows 10

There seems to be a tremendous bug in Windows 10 whereby class compliant USB Midi devices are not recognized properly (read as composite devices instead of USB Audio devices, and with an error flag in Device Manager) or are recognized but cannot communicate
    to DAW programs that are supposed to use them.

I have searched for hours, and found nothing but many, many threads of frustrated users. Help options seem to be limited to useless generic posts about contacting the device manufacturer (even though this issue occurs on TONS of devices and again, these
    are class compliant devices) or trying Windows troubleshooting or repair (but this is an inherent bug, so there's nothing to fix).

Is there any hero out there who has solved this problem? Or anyone with some kind of access to a higher level of tech support? I don't imagine the fix would really be that difficult for dedicated high-level MS engineers, but it's clear that no one has solved
    this yet and it's a major Windows 10 shortcoming.

I've just spent $800 on a new Windows 10 PC, and am very frustrated to find I can't use my keyboard anymore without spending another $50 on a MIDI USB device cable that has specific Windows 10 drivers.

Thanks!

TecmoBowlTed, Feb 6, 2020
  3. LFTDT Win User
    MIDI USB Class Compliant Devices Do Not Work in Windows 10

Microsoft needs to listen. Content creators that work with an OS can influence a lot of people. Plugging in a class compliant USB midi device that worked [perfect until windows 10 but works as long as its a USB 3.x port is ignorant. If anyone comes across
    this problem, im using a ROLI seabord, that is class compliant, but is not recognized in windows 10 because it was plugged into a USB 2 port. This seems like im beta testing, whats up with your testers, or compliance dept? Really? No one mentioned that music
    creation in windows 10 is unnecessarily frustration? next computer is mac, if your building your own pc think mac these things SUCK....

LFTDT, Feb 6, 2020
  4. OaisHalim Win User

How does a musician resolve the 'USB not recognised (device descriptor request failed)' for a class compliant midi controller?

Greetings,

It's been a long hard harrowing experience at attempt to troubleshoot this issue, I've tried many steps common to 'USB not recognised' for windows like switching off the power management for USB and other common ones in countless forums. Went through the
    lengths of reinstalling windows 10 twice. Went through support of Novation, the manufacturer of the midi controller. Updated the controller's firmware, and went through all the steps they had, to resolve this issue, but in vane. The controller works seamlessly
    on Mac, but fails whenever I connect it to my windows system. I installed linux on my pc to see if it has the same problem, in case my machine has a hardware related problem, but it isn't, as it seamlessly connected to linux as well. This has narrowed down
    to an operating system related issue particularly with windows 10. How is it that it can't recognise a class compliant midi controller that doesn't need drivers installed?

OaisHalim, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 not recognizing class-compliant MIDI Keyboard Controller - Similar Threads - recognizing class compliant

2. Issues with Xbox One Elite Controller and MIDI Keyboards Not Being Recognized on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with Xbox One Elite Controller and MIDI Keyboards Not Being Recognized on Windows 11: I am encountering issues with my Xbox One Elite controller and a couple of MIDI keyboards when connecting them to my PC running Windows 11. Despite the controller being listed under "Other Devices" in Device Manager, it is not recognized by the Xbox Accessories app,...
  3. Issues with Xbox One Elite Controller and MIDI Keyboards Not Being Recognized on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with Xbox One Elite Controller and MIDI Keyboards Not Being Recognized on Windows 11: I am encountering issues with my Xbox One Elite controller and a couple of MIDI keyboards when connecting them to my PC running Windows 11. Despite the controller being listed under "Other Devices" in Device Manager, it is not recognized by the Xbox Accessories app,...
  4. PCR-M80 midi keyboard controller

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCR-M80 midi keyboard controller: Hi, I have never installed a driver in my new PC and I need PCR M80 driver for my midi keyboard controloller https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pcr-m80-midi-keyboard-controller/970e7101-4c84-4aed-8858-12261cbb3a88
  5. PCR-M80 midi keyboard controller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PCR-M80 midi keyboard controller: Hi, I have never installed a driver in my new PC and I need PCR M80 driver for my midi keyboard controloller https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pcr-m80-midi-keyboard-controller/970e7101-4c84-4aed-8858-12261cbb3a88
  6. PCR-M80 midi keyboard controller

7. MIDI Keyboard recognized, but input is not going through.

MIDI Keyboard recognized, but input is not going through.: I have a midi-usb cable. MIDI is plugged in and out of the keyboard, and into the computer. My laptop recognizes the keyboard, but does not have any input when I play. Everything is on. I use cakewalk by bandlab, and my laptop is relatively new. Of course, inputs are checked...
  8. My computer windows 10 wont recognize midi keyboards.

My computer windows 10 wont recognize midi keyboards.: Hi, my computer is not recognizing my midi keyboard ' i have a minilabmkii ' arturia and my computer iss an hp intelcore i7 11th gen ' 32 GB ram ' when i plug in my midi controller the computer recognizes it but it won´t send a signal to any of the applications. i have...
  9. MIDI Keyboard Not Recognized Most of The Time

MIDI Keyboard Not Recognized Most of The Time: I have an Alesis VI49 MIDI keyboard connected via USB. It has suddenly stopped being recognized by Windows and prompts a Code 43 error in the device manager. Very rarely, I can get it to work, by simply uninstalling it via Device Manage then scanning for hardware changes. I...
  10. MIDI Keyboards and Windows 10

MIDI Keyboards and Windows 10: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga 920. Disclaimer: I am no computer Guru, but I can read and follow instructions, so here's the story: I've recently gotten more into composing and making music, and decided to purchase a MIDI keyboard. The keyboard I got is a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 midi input driver