Windows 10: Windows 10 not recognizing its bootcd mbr in hdd but instead reads it from usb uefi

Discus and support Windows 10 not recognizing its bootcd mbr in hdd but instead reads it from usb uefi in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Issue began a month ago. I replaced ram and cpu. I had to clear cmos. Then Windows 10 would not boot. Because i dual boot Windows 7 i had bios on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MasterJeebus, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Windows 10 not recognizing its bootcd mbr in hdd but instead reads it from usb uefi

Issue began a month ago. I replaced ram and cpu. I had to clear cmos. Then Windows 10 would not boot. Because i dual boot Windows 7 i had bios on legacy mode. I used usb with Windows 10 install to attempt to repair bcd boot files since i didn’t want to format. I have a lot of stuff on drive and it would be a pain to reformat it and loose it all.

Now Windows 10 boots into uefi from usb and loads the installed Windows 10. If i unplug usb the OS gets hossed.

How can i get the bcd boot to be legacy on the hdd so it boots from there?

Attemptimg Windows updates for 20h2 refused because i boot in uefi when OS installed in legacy.

I think installing the 20h2 will correct my OS problem and keep my files. But i can’t install it if i load os in uefi. Keeping legacy bios makes no difference.

The usb is uefi because thats how Microsofts tool installs to usb. Or is there a way to nor make the usb legacy instead of uefi?

submitted by /u/MasterJeebus
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MasterJeebus, Dec 5, 2020

2. Some USB Devices not recognized in Windows 10

Hi have Windows 10 Pro insider preview 10532 64bit Pro Intel i7 desktop PC.

I have multiple USB devices connected, USB 3 & 2. The USB HDD is working however my Samsung phone and kindle are no longer being recognized. The steps followed so far:

• Uninstalled all USB devices in device manager including controllers
    • Flashed BIOS to latest version
    • Updated USB drivers for the devices from manufacturers sites
    • Tried new USB cables

Please note: both devices are recognized by my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop.

I really don't want to fresh install, please suggest any diagnostics I can try.

Thanks

TonyHallett, Dec 5, 2020
  3. MBR to UEFI conversion

When attempting to convert my 500 gb Western digital Black from Win 10 version 1909 MBR to UEFI using Microsoft's recommended procedure I keep getting, during validation attempts, the error message that the disk cannot be validated for conversion, and
    file size is 512 bytes. MBR is on the disk, and Crystal Disk reports no disk problems. Any suggestions?

DharmanStortz, Dec 5, 2020
  4. 7mgte Win User

Windows 10 not recognizing its bootcd mbr in hdd but instead reads it from usb uefi

Convert Windows 10 MBR to GPT (UEFI)?

In reviewing my Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) system I noted that the Secure Boot Status is showing as "unsupported". Investigating further, it appears either the GPT partition for booting using UEFI (is Secure Boot) has become corrupt or my installation was
    never installed for Secure Boot. My Windows 10 install is an auto-upgrade from a Windows 8.1 install.

Is there a way to convert the MBR to GPT without doing a fresh install? I do have a USB recovery drive built at a point I believe I had indications Windows was booting from a GPT (UEFI) partition. In fact, the USB recovery drive shows as being a UEFI drive.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks!

7mgte, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 not recognizing its bootcd mbr in hdd but instead reads it from usb uefi

1. Windows 10 not recognizing its bootcd mbr in hdd but instead reads it from usb uefi - Similar Threads - recognizing bootcd mbr

2. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  3. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  4. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Install Windows 10 in UEFI-MBR

Install Windows 10 in UEFI-MBR: Hi! I have a question regarding in installing Windows 10. Can I install Windows on a MBR partition scheme and boot it in UEFI mode? Thanks in advance! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-windows-10-in-uefi-mbr/5dde4d18-1255-4905-a58b-41aeb0bd2e89
  6. Download Windows 10 to a HDD instead of USB ?

Download Windows 10 to a HDD instead of USB ?: To make a Windows 10 bootable USB thumb drive, everywhere I looked says to download Windows 10 to the USB stick. Is there some reason why Win10 cannot be downloaded to a Windows 7 HDD and then copied to a USB thumb drive? I see mention that you need a 5GB, or 8GB or 16GB USB...
  7. Download Windows 10 to a HDD instead of USB ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Download Windows 10 to a HDD instead of USB ?: To make a Windows 10 bootable USB thumb drive, everywhere I looked says to download Windows 10 to the USB stick. Is there some reason why Win10 cannot be downloaded to a Windows 7 HDD and then copied to a USB thumb drive? I see mention that you need a 5GB, or 8GB or 16GB USB...
  8. UEFI or MBR ?

UEFI or MBR ?: I 'm making a bootable usb flash drive with Rufus to install Windows 10 as a dual boot with Windows 8.1. When I installed my new video card I had to disable safe boot and enable legacy support in the bios. When I make the bootable flash drive should I choose UEFI or MBR? 1969
  9. MBR/UEFI issues

MBR/UEFI issues: My motherboard is UEFI compliant, however it was set up in MBR mode, I'm now receiving messages from Microsoft saying my PC will not be updated after 10 April because it is not set up in UEFI mode. I understand that to set up in UEFI mode all data on HD will be lost. I...
  10. Making a UEFI & MBR muitiboot usb

Making a UEFI & MBR muitiboot usb: so i just brought a 128GB sandisk ultra usb 3.0 because as a computer tec im tired of fumbling through my tons of usb drivers to do a job. , i want my windows installers & Linux, bookable tools and such all in one usb. so i looked into multibooting usbs and came across many...