Windows 10: Windows 10 Not Recognizing SSD's When In External Drive Bays

Discus and support Windows 10 Not Recognizing SSD's When In External Drive Bays in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have purchased several SSD drives that I am cloning to upgarde current systems. I am using a USB 3.0 Drive enclosure that recognizes standard SATA... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sentryknight, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Not Recognizing SSD's When In External Drive Bays

I have purchased several SSD drives that I am cloning to upgarde current systems. I am using a USB 3.0 Drive enclosure that recognizes standard SATA drives but not the SSD. When I attach the same enclosure on a Windows 7 machine it sees the drive right away and assigns it a drive letter. The SSD does not appear in disk management either on Windows 10.

Thoughts?

:)

sentryknight, Dec 30, 2015
  2. JimPta Win User

How to add SSD as boot disk on new Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 10?

JimPta, Dec 30, 2015
  3. Teddy2016 Win User
    How to add SSD as boot disk on new Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 10?

"I copied Windows 10 to the SSD. I then installed it internally in one of the empty drive bays. Windows 10 file manager recognized the drive and I was able to see that "Windows was indeed copied on it."
    "

Hello JimPta

The win 10 ISO copy to the SSD or installed??

"I connected the new SSD to the new Dell 8700 via USB."

Is the drive detect as USB or sata/ide??

The newer Pcs have a one time boot priority option on bios boot. F9 or F12 during the bios start screen.

Teddy2016, Dec 30, 2015
  4. tomwho7 Win User

Windows 10 Not Recognizing SSD's When In External Drive Bays

I have 2 win 10 systems. No usb 3.0 drive one Tb or larger can be recognized. Not even through Paragon Drive Manager software which on other windows systems can see drives windows does not. Driver are fine my NAS usb 3.0 ports. Seen some hit and miss solutions but none work for me.

tomwho7, Jan 25, 2016
  5. mike s Win User
    Try a different enclosure.
    Starting with Windows 8 I ran into compatibility issues with the bridge chipset (typically JMicron or Asmedia) inside the enclosure on some machines. The solution, when available, was to update the firmware of the bridge controller, but officially endorsed firmware updates are hard to come by.

mike s, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Not Recognizing SSD's When In External Drive Bays

1. Windows 10 Not Recognizing SSD's When In External Drive Bays - Similar Threads - Recognizing SSD's External

2. Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized: I have a Verbatim Vx500 external drive that worked fine with Windows 10. But when I plug it in after upgrading to Windows 11 it usually shows as Drive d: in "My Devices and Drives", but greyed out, and when I try to access it says "Please insert a disc in drive d:". Also it...
  3. Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized: I have a Verbatim Vx500 external drive that worked fine with Windows 10. But when I plug it in after upgrading to Windows 11 it usually shows as Drive d: in "My Devices and Drives", but greyed out, and when I try to access it says "Please insert a disc in drive d:". Also it...
  4. M.2 SSD in external bay

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 SSD in external bay: I have been using FX6300 machine for over 8 years and decided to build a new one with 5600X. My problem is with the two M.2 SSD after moving to an external bay. The two M.2s are recognized and HD Tune indicates read speed of the M.2 is 2.5MB/sec . W10 installed on one of the...
  5. M.2 SSD in external bay

in Windows 10 Support
    M.2 SSD in external bay: I have been using FX6300 machine for over 8 years and decided to build a new one with RX5600X. My problem is with the two M.2 SSD after moving to an external bay. Only one of the two M.2s is recognized and HD Tune indicates read speed is 2.5MB/sec . I have been using U.2 SSDs...
  6. external hard drive bay for ATA drive

external hard drive bay for ATA drive: Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place for this post or not. I have an external hard drive bay for SATA drives. It is just a stand, and I can swap out any SATA drive that I want to quickly, and read the contents on my computer. But the interface won't connect to my...
  7. Windows not recognizing External ssd

Windows not recognizing External ssd: [IMG]Hi there, my hp laptop is not working after an update, and Its going to automatic repair loop. So, I removed ssd hard drive. Im using ssd to usb 3.0 enclouser to connect it to another laptop. but the new laptop cant recognize it. its not even showing up in the...
  8. EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED

EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED: After my laptop updated to Windows 10 version 1909, it no longer recognized my 1tb Toshiba Canvio external drive. I need help resolving this issue, because all of my school work and other important things are on the drive....
  9. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10: As already someone asked years ago (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-not-recognized-as-ssd-in-windows-10/70716cb4-34a8-475c-8267-c4a5669beeeb) without any positive fix, I'm here to do the same question again. Why my windows 10 pro x64...
  10. Windows 10 Not Recognizing External RAID Drive When I Turn the External Drive On !!

Windows 10 Not Recognizing External RAID Drive When I Turn the External Drive On !!: Hello, I recently converted from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a CRU external enclosure for 2 6TB HDD in a RAID 1 configuration. I only use the external drive to store 100,000 images for use with Lightroom/Photoshop and I turn the external drive Off when finished as I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 not recognizing ssd drive

2. windows recognizing external ssd as hard drive

3. windows 10 not recognising exteran ssd

4. windows 10 not recognizing external ssd drive