Windows 10: Windows 10 not saving sharing settings

Discus and support Windows 10 not saving sharing settings in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Prior to a recent install of a replacement hard drive, the homegroup was working like a dream. However, since then it has been nothing but hassle. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alphadave, Apr 24, 2016.

1. alphadave Win User

Windows 10 not saving sharing settings

Prior to a recent install of a replacement hard drive, the homegroup was working like a dream. However, since then it has been nothing but hassle. The homegroup was originally set up by another PC in the network, but all of the files that need to be accessed on every computer are saved locally on this PC.

Every time I turn this PC on, it has forgotten the sharing settings from last time, so that the other computers do not have permission to write files, and sometimes cannot see this PC at all.

I am looking at my Documents folder, and under the Share tab I am selecting Advanced Security.

Windows 10 not saving sharing settings [​IMG]

I then have to manually add this line for the other PCs to read/write each and every time as this setting isn't saved after restarting.

Windows 10 not saving sharing settings [​IMG]

Does anybody know how to make Windows 10 save this setting permanently?

:)

alphadave, Apr 24, 2016

2. Using File History to "Keep Saved Versions" :The correct sequence of steps?

Greetings,

I have a question about the correct sequence of steps, for this situation. I'll present the two versions, here. Would a Microsoft engineer who's good with Windows 10, please help with this? I think version two is "more correct" since you would probably
    turn File History on ...first, and then configure the "Keep Saved Versions" setting. Can you help?

Version 1:

* Create a network share, configure NTFS, and then share permissions.

* Configure the "Keep Saved Versions" setting.

* Turn on File History

Version 2:

* Create a network share, configure NTFS, and then share permissions.

* Turn on File History

* Configure the "Keep Saved Versions" setting.

JonGermany-Bey, Apr 24, 2016
  3. DanBlum46 Win User
    Editing files through Home Group Sharing

From computer 1 in my home group, I am trying to load a file that is on computer 2, edit the the file and save it back to computer 2. Both computers are Windows 10 (but I have had this problem with earlier versions). I have set up the share attribute
    of the involved document folders on both machines to share and edit with the home group. Computer 1 is the owner of the home group. Windows 10 successfully allows me to do the load/edit/save from computer 1 onto computer 2. However, in the opposite direction,
    the load/edit works, but I am denied access access when I do the save. I also tried setting the share attribute for the individual file involved. That didn't help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DanBlum46, Apr 24, 2016
Thema:

Windows 10 not saving sharing settings

1. Windows 10 not saving sharing settings - Similar Threads - saving sharing settings

2. File Share setting will not save on Manage Advanced Sharing Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Share setting will not save on Manage Advanced Sharing Settings: I experienced this problem after I can only assume an update to windows 11 features or a security update. Cannot nail down what caused it.Every time I clicked the save button after selecting the [turn on file and printer sharing] and then returned to look at the setting it...
  3. File Share setting will not save on Manage Advanced Sharing Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Share setting will not save on Manage Advanced Sharing Settings: I experienced this problem after I can only assume an update to windows 11 features or a security update. Cannot nail down what caused it.Every time I clicked the save button after selecting the [turn on file and printer sharing] and then returned to look at the setting it...
  4. Windows 10 update not saving setting.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update not saving setting.: I have just went through my 6 iteration of updates in Windows 10 each time I lose all my previous setting software installs, browser links everything and I have to start from scratch. Everything I do is being recorded in a C:\Users\TEMP folder and not my main folder I have...
  5. Share settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Share settings: Hi. I am curious to know if there is a way to reset sharing settings back to default Win 10 install settings, for all files and folders on the system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-settings/82727150-004c-4e77-9934-1877f7f95a96
  6. Unable to save changes in Configure advance sharing settings for network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to save changes in Configure advance sharing settings for network: After the latest updates of March-20, I can not save the changes for Turning Off the Password protected sharing to share with my workgroup connected PCs...
  7. Windows 10 Saving personalized settings

Windows 10 Saving personalized settings: My Windows 10 is from a Microsoft Store purchased USB. Since installation on my desktop, two months ago, saving my personalized display settings is erratic. Most of the time, it is as if settings were not saved at shutdown/power off or they are removed at next startup. It...
  8. why will network and Sharing Center Advanced sharing settings not save Turn on sharing so...

why will network and Sharing Center Advanced sharing settings not save Turn on sharing so...: Why is Microsoft updates team so stupid, lazy, corrupt, or ignorant that they cannot check before an update what that computer network advanced sharing settings are and then return them correctly after an update? This farce has been going on for over two years, and they...
  9. Windows 10 will not save proxy settings

Windows 10 will not save proxy settings: Hi all, Earlier today I got my proxy all set up in the Windows settings. Everything was working splendid. Later I tried installing ProxySwitcher but decided I didn't want to pay for the full version; ended up uninstalling. Now when I enter my proxy settings into windows and...
  10. Windows Setting Not Save.

Windows Setting Not Save.: I just reset my Laptop (Xiaomi Notebook) , a clean boot up of windows 10. Set up my account with internet connection. My Start Menu settings is not being save and each time I reboot my PC it'll just return it to default settings. I have no clue what to do next.....