Windows 10: Windows 10 not seeing internal HDD

Discus and support Windows 10 not seeing internal HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have a problem after a windows update where evrytime I booted into windows it wanted to check the disk and I had to press any key to cancel, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by itekweni, May 1, 2016.

1. itekweni Win User

Windows 10 not seeing internal HDD

Hi I have a problem after a windows update where evrytime I booted into windows it wanted to check the disk and I had to press any key to cancel, so after searching the internet got this site up https://www.raymond.cc/blog/disable-...ndows-startup/ and used example :
    Start -> Run (or Win key+R) -> type cmd and press enter
    If you have drive C: as the drive you want exclude, then the command to disable chkdsk from scanning the C: drive would be: chkntfs /x c:
    I then read further on and found this:
    If you have a second drive to exclude, C: and D: for example, you can disable Check disk with the command below. Simply add all the drives you want to exclude in this way, separating them with a space.
    chkntfs /x d: which I duly entered into the CMD and got a message in the CMD this type of file system is NTFS and after that the drive showed up but no information as to size or space used and if I clicked on it I get error message saying cannot access or drive might be faulty.
    The reason behind me running the second command ind CMD is because I was not sure how many drives Windows 10 wanted to check thankfully I realised my fault and did not enter any more drives so my remaining drives are accessable.

Is there any way I can reverse this command so as to get my drive accessable again...this drive shows up in the bios at statup and in the device manager even in the drivemanager but no matter what I tried I can not get this drive to be seen and unfortunately it has some important files on them which I need to save...if the above cannot be reversed is there any other means of retrieving my files and saving to a working drive...thanks in advance form a stupid idiot

:)

itekweni, May 1, 2016
  2. Andrei V. Win User

How can I do a clean install of Windows 10 if I upgrade from Windows 7?

"I guess I could "CLEANINSTALL" back to 8 and then upgrade to 10 and hope I have some free space?"

I'm afraid that this is the only solution I see...

Or maybe, a crazy idea, but try to reinstall first Windows 8.1 on an external USB connected HDD and do the upgrade there. Then do the clean install on the internal HDD. Should work.

If I have time, I am going to do this experiment myself, see if it works. Could be the solution for many people with low space on the internal hdd.

Andrei V., May 1, 2016
  3. I have installed Windows 10 in internal HDD, now I wanted to install another copy of Windows 10 on a External/USB HDD.

Original Title: Multi HDD boot Windows 10.

I have installed in internal HDD Windows 10.

Now I wanted to install another copy of Windows 10 on a External/USB HDD.

(installing was a massacre .. but lt's leave it).

Now trying to boot from external HDD is always : "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE"

When there is only one HDD (internal) everything works perfect.

Any idea how to fix this ?

using SAMSUNG N880Z

JaRoD_Sebastian, May 1, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, presumably
    chkntfs /d

You can see this yourself
    chkntfs /?

What puzzles me is that all you're doing is stopping chkdsk from trying to fix disks with corrupt file systems. The command you've used shouldn't stop you seeing those drives in Windows - unless there's sthg seriously wrong with them.. which might just be why chkdsk is running.

Suggest you download and run Crystaldiskinfo (free) and post a screenshot of its SMART report on your disk

dalchina, May 1, 2016
  5. itekweni Win User
    Thanks for answer I will try this when home later on today and post a screen shot of proceedings

itekweni, May 1, 2016
  6. itekweni Win User
    Update on my problem when I got home I rechecked everything and established that some how with that command my drive has been converted from NTSF to RAW that's why windows can no longer see the drive and since this afternoon I have been trying to recover the files but every free data recovery software I have tried finds the files with no problems but somehow I can't copy it to one of my other drives and I am starting to pull my hair out because once that's done I can repartitions my drive to NTFS and I will be back up and running

itekweni, May 1, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    I missed the bit about not being able to access your disk. chkntfs wouldn't convert your file system - something else did that.

Then probably your drive was found unreadable, so that's why chkdsk was invoked. chkntfs ony controls chkdsk.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/160963

So after recovering your data (hopefully!) the question seems to become 'what converted your file system, and how do you stop it happening?'

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  8. itekweni Win User

Good morning I know that the command I gave should not have changed the drive stucture but cannot think what could have caused it and as I said having found out the reason why I could not acces the drive my main concern now is to try and recover as many of my importand files as possible before I resort to returning the drive to ntfs satus and as one knows it can be a very slow, boring and painful process but thanks to all who contibuted to this thread

itekweni, May 2, 2016
  9. itekweni Win User
    I have solved this problem by doing the following chkdsk /f D: --> Press Enter. and my drive reappeared wish I had thought of this earlier would have saved me 24 hrs of data recovery Windows 10 not seeing internal HDD :)

itekweni, May 5, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Sometimes Windows does tell you the right thing to do... if only it could do it more often...

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 not seeing internal HDD - Similar Threads - seeing internal HDD

2. Windows 11 can’t see new Internal HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 can’t see new Internal HDD: I have installed windows 11 on my Dell Precision 3630. After doing this I installed new internal hdd and tried to restart PC. Unfortunately with new HDD connected, windows would not boot. I disconnected and restarted and all booted fine. Reinstalled internal HDD whilst PC on...
  3. Windows 11 can’t see new Internal HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 can’t see new Internal HDD: I have installed windows 11 on my Dell Precision 3630. After doing this I installed new internal hdd and tried to restart PC. Unfortunately with new HDD connected, windows would not boot. I disconnected and restarted and all booted fine. Reinstalled internal HDD whilst PC on...
  4. Second internal HDD not showing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second internal HDD not showing in Windows 10: I had to re-install Windows 10 on one of my PCs, but now the 2nd internal drive isn't showing in the drive list in "This PC", nor is Windows recognizing the drive in Device Manager or Disk Management...BUT... it still shows in BIOS, and when I remove the drive and install it...
  5. Second internal HDD not showing in Windows 10

Second internal HDD not showing in Windows 10: I had to re-install Windows 10 on one of my PCs, but now the 2nd internal drive isn't showing in the drive list in "This PC", nor is Windows recognizing the drive in Device Manager or Disk Management...BUT... it still shows in BIOS, and when I remove the drive and install it...
  6. Unable to see 2nd internal HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to see 2nd internal HDD: After a failed game installation from steam in to my PC, I am now unable to see my 2nd internal HDD at all in 'This PC'. I did encounter multiple disk check during reboot and also went through with it, however, now I am unable to see it/access the drive....
  7. Unable to see 2nd internal HDD

Unable to see 2nd internal HDD: After a failed game installation from steam in to my PC, I am now unable to see my 2nd internal HDD at all in 'This PC'. I did encounter multiple disk check during reboot and also went through with it, however, now I am unable to see it/access the drive....
  8. Internal hdd connexion crash windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal hdd connexion crash windows 10: Hello, I have 4 hard disks. After a crash of my computer BSOD, I restore my bootable disk with todo backup. Before this process, I disconnected de 3 other disks E, F, G. The bootable drive C is now working correctly. But when I reconnect the 3 other disk, Windows crash...
  9. Disk Mgt sees internal HDD as "Uninitialized", Diskpart doesn't

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Mgt sees internal HDD as "Uninitialized", Diskpart doesn't: Every now & then this HDD won't initialize but eventually works. It's 1.5Tb & so unreliable I don't put data on it anymore. I check periodically & it's been okay each time. Yesterday I needed to organize data so I used the drive & naturally today, it won't initialize! I don't...
  10. Internal HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal HDD: Hi All.I have a Zoostorm desktop had it at the end of last year. It has a SSD & a Second hdd ''spinner''.All is working well the only issue is when I want to open a document there is a slight delay in the opening of it as all documents pictures etc are all stored on the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 not seeing internal hdd