Windows 10: Windows 10 not showing Search results from secondary drive

Discus and support Windows 10 not showing Search results from secondary drive in Cortana to solve the problem; I have been having this problem for years. Whenever I add a secondary drive for indexing in Indexing Options, the "items indexed" count increases but... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by vrr11, Jan 19, 2021.

1. vrr11 Win User

Windows 10 not showing Search results from secondary drive

I have been having this problem for years. Whenever I add a secondary drive for indexing in Indexing Options, the "items indexed" count increases but NO RESULTS FROM THE DRIVE ARE RETURNED WHEN I SEARCH FROM THE START MENU. If I open the drive in Explorer and use Explorer's built-in search, results show up correctly. I have "Enhanced" checked in Windows Search settings. Deleting/rebuilding the index and even doing a clean reformat has not solved the problem.

My winver is 19042.746 and sfc /scannow shows no integrity violations.

:)

vrr11, Jan 19, 2021

2. Quick search not working on secondary drives on windows 10

Hi Foxybite,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• What type of files you are trying to search in the search bar?

• What do you refer to when you say secondary drives? Is it the other partition on the hard drive/external hard drive like flash drives or etc.?
    Kindly follow the below steps and check if you are able to fix the issue.

Step 1:

You can run the Search and indexing troubleshooter
    in Windows 10 and check if it helps. Follow the below steps to run Search and indexing
    troubleshooter.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control Panel

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the
      Control Panel.

• Click on View all on the left navigation pane.

• Click on Search and indexing.

• Click on Advanced on the
      Search and indexing
      dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the
      Search and indexing troubleshooter.

Step 2:

Try to add your secondary drive in the indexing options.

• Type in the Indexing options in the start search box and click on
      Indexing options from the search bar results.

• Click on Modify on the Indexing options window. (Enter

• Check the secondary drive (which you need to fetch the results from the search box) and click on
      OK button. (If the secondary drive is not visible, click on
      Show all locations,
      enter the administrator credentials if prompted))

• Now, try to search and check if you are able to fetch the results.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jan 19, 2021
  3. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Jan 19, 2021
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Cortana search IGNORES secondary hard drives!!

Hi,

Thank you for update and reply.

I suggest you to follow the Methods below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Try to add your secondary drive in the indexing options.

• Type in the Indexing options in the start search box and click on
      Indexing options from the search bar results.
    • Click on Modify on the Indexing options window. (Enter
    • Check the secondary drive (which you need to fetch the results from the search box) and click on
      OK button. (If the secondary drive is not visible, click on
      Show all locations,
      enter the administrator credentials if prompted))
    • Now, try to search and check if you are able to fetch the results.
    If issue persists follow next Method.

Method 2: System file check is a utility built into the Operating System that will check for system file corruption the
    sfc /scannow command (System File Check) scans the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

I suggest you to try the steps provided, in the link below in order to run SFC scan on your computer.

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 not showing Search results from secondary drive - Similar Threads - showing Search results

2. Windows 10 Search does not show Google Drive v51.+ results

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search does not show Google Drive v51.+ results: Hello,Since last Google Drive update when I search through Windows 10, I can't find any of the files or folders located within my Google Drive directory. The issue come with Google Drive v51.+Dote google drive is mapped to drive G:, which I am not able to add it as a indexing...
  3. Search bar not giving me result for my secondary drive after windows installation.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search bar not giving me result for my secondary drive after windows installation.: I had an ssd and hdd. Windows was installed on the ssd but unfortunately it died. The hdd(D:) is in top form. I had a spare hdd so i installed windows on it. Everything is fine and my hdd(D:) files are accessible and work perfectly. But when i press start and search for...
  4. Windows Search Not Showing Web Results

in Cortana
    Windows Search Not Showing Web Results: I have been using a Windows 10 Professional from the past 4 months and from yesterday the Windows Search was not showing any Web Results. I am from India and according to this article:...
  5. Windows Search not showing results from other drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search not showing results from other drives: When I use the Start-embedded search, it shows results from my C: drive but no other drives. I do have the additional drives checked in Indexing Options screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/4kuEao1.png. I have tried going into Advanced and Rebuilding the index multiple times,...
  6. Windows Search shows results from other logins

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Search shows results from other logins: I've got my PC set up with local, offline accounts for myself and my wife. When logged in as myself, I can type a partial document name in the search bar, and the results are a mixture of my files and my wife's files. I can't actually open my wife's files; but there is no...
  7. Windows Search Bar shows no result

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Search Bar shows no result: my windows search bar shows no result at all, it goes block and shows a white display. Please help[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-bar-shows-no-result/a9f73fd7-1a52-4ea1-a60a-783dc45b8f20
  8. Windows 10 search bar not showing results

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 search bar not showing results: It is probably something easy and I am just being dumb but I couldn't find anything about this. Imgur: The magic of the Internet 123184
  9. Search Box not showing results from other hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Box not showing results from other hard drives: For example, my documents on on my Data drive G:, and although it is indexed documents don't show up in search. Does anyone know of a workaround for this? 8346
  10. Search not showing results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not showing results: Hi. Anyone know how to fix the search function in Windows 10? It's not showing any results. So far I already tried the following but to no avail. Rebuild indexing, scannow cmd, chdsk /r,. 10886