Windows 10: Windows 10 not shutting down or sleeping after attempting to change boot drive

Discus and support Windows 10 not shutting down or sleeping after attempting to change boot drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I got a new ssd for my PC and did a clean install of windows on it but I made the mistake of leaving the old drive plugged in while installing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ChrisIsChris7, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Windows 10 not shutting down or sleeping after attempting to change boot drive

So I got a new ssd for my PC and did a clean install of windows on it but I made the mistake of leaving the old drive plugged in while installing windows on the new drive. Now the new drive wouldn’t boot without the old drive installed I tried to fix it by running “bcdboot C:\windows /s C:” This fixed the booting issue but then it wouldn’t shutdown. It would just go to the lockscreen so I disabled fast boot which fixed that but now I realized it won’t sleep, it will just go to the lockscreen. I’m assuming the boot fix I did was wrong and caused this and would like to know if theres a way to fix this correctly without doing another clean install since I already have everything set up how I like it again. The new drive only has one partition and is GPT and the old drive is MBR. Thanks

submitted by /u/ChrisIsChris7
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ChrisIsChris7, Jan 19, 2021
  2. sttubs Win User

Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, Jan 19, 2021
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 PC, issues with sleep and slow boots

This is my fiancees machine, recently assembled out of spare parts. Previous setup did not have this issue, so its confusing me. Only real change is the ram and CPU from an i5 2400

i5 2320
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3
    Corsair GS600W PSU
    XFX 6870 1GB
    1TB samsung HDD.

Windows 10.

So the problems are fun and interesting:

1. The intel management Interface is showing a Code 10 "status_device_power_failure" in device manager. I've tried 9.5, 10 and 11 drivers from the intel website. same problem on all.

2. Sleep mode simply does not work - waking the system seems to work, after 2 seconds it reboots and powers up from a cold boot like it was hibernated (boots very slowly too). With hibernate disabled, it just does a very slow cold boot.

3. I may just be used to SSD's, but the system seems to boot a lot slower than i expect it should even from a cold boot.

Thoughts, suggestions, fixes etc?

Mussels, Jan 19, 2021
  4. rtwjunkie Win User

Windows 10 not shutting down or sleeping after attempting to change boot drive

Windows 10 PC, issues with sleep and slow boots

@Mussels Welcome to the most widespread, yet elusive to pin down problem plaguing W10 even with SSD's! (meaning it's not your HDD)

You can googlebing to your heart's content and try every wild-assed fix out there, but you'll only make a dent in your frustration level.

What has MOSTLY helped me is turning off hibernation by turning off all sleep and power saving options in Windows, and turning off fast boot by deleting hiberfil through the CMD line (as an admin).

Now it only hangs on boot or restart 1 out of 5 times. LOL, and I call that progress. I have two steps to take that look like they might be promising.

I'm going to disable all power saving features in BIOS, and try a new BIOS which was released after W10.

No one, including M$ has figured it out yet. Some of the speculative fixes you'll find come from their own forums where so-called Windows experts seem to be the most clueless of everyone.

Anyway, I listed what has helped me somewhat after 4 weeks.

rtwjunkie, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 not shutting down or sleeping after attempting to change boot drive

1. Windows 10 not shutting down or sleeping after attempting to change boot drive - Similar Threads - shutting down sleeping

2. System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again: My system got shut down a few minutes ago. It wasn't probably shut down completely. When I started again my browser and apps were still open. Maybe it went to sleep. I thought it would be because of low battery.But a few minutes later I saw an error alert on Windows itself...
  3. System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again: My system got shut down a few minutes ago. It wasn't probably shut down completely. When I started again my browser and apps were still open. Maybe it went to sleep. I thought it would be because of low battery.But a few minutes later I saw an error alert on Windows itself...
  4. System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. pc shuts down after sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    pc shuts down after sleep: the pc shuts down when i wake it from sleep mode, that issue happened last months i geuss but i restarted it and it was solved but now it happened again and i need to slove it so i hope someone help me....
  6. pc shuts down after sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc shuts down after sleep: the pc shuts down when i wake it from sleep mode, that issue happened last months i geuss but i restarted it and it was solved but now it happened again and i need to slove it so i hope someone help me....
  7. pc shuts down after sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 10 Sleeps After Selects Shut Down

Windows 10 Sleeps After Selects Shut Down: Greetings! After I reinstalled Windows 10, I realized that when ever I select shut down in the start menu, its goes to deep sleep instead shutting down. What caused this? How can I fix it? Also, I realized whenever I close the lid, for a while, it goes into deep sleep,...
  9. Windows 10 Shutting down after sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Shutting down after sleep/hibernation: Hi As far as I can tell, after sleep/hibernation (being left for a long period, usually overnight), I come back ro my PC to find that it has completely shutdown. It is encrypted with a bitlocker password so I suppose if an update is applied overnight then this would be the...
  10. Windows Returns to Log-In Screen When Attempting to Shut Down or Sleep

Windows Returns to Log-In Screen When Attempting to Shut Down or Sleep: What it says on the box... And yes, I've UNCHECKED 'Turn on fast startup' in Control Panel. I've checked other similar issues that I could find, but none had a viable solution....