Windows 10: Windows 10 Not Shutting Down

Discus and support Windows 10 Not Shutting Down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I am new to this forum having given up searching for a solution for many days! My computer stopped logging off / shutting down / restarting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PS65, Jun 30, 2016.

1. PS65 Win User

Windows 10 Not Shutting Down

Hi, I am new to this forum having given up searching for a solution for many days!

My computer stopped logging off / shutting down / restarting following some changes made.

A local IT providers (who has not been of any help since) did the following:

1. Installed VPN software
    2. Setup a Cannon Printer (with the correct driver)
    3. Setup Windows Backup
    4. Setup Network drives.

Dell has been looking at the system and they couldn't identify what service, application or driver could be causing the computer to hang on the above log off, restart or shutdown. I've tried all the forums regarding event viewer (and potentially I may be not spotting something), but still I can't solve it.

It's clearly a process, as safe mode works fine. I've rebuilt the machine before, but I do need all the drives and networks etc in order to do my work, so I could do with identifying the cause. Please could someone help me! I promise to buy them a beer, as I am literally pulling my hair out.

Thank you for any help and advice given.

:)

2. DaveM121 Win User

WINDOWS 10 NOT SHUTTING DOWN

Hi Michael, a common enough problem, it will require a registry fix . . .

Click your Start Button, type regedit and hit Enter - this will open the Registry Editor

In the left pand, navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlSet - Control

Then in the Right Pane double click WaitToKillServiceTimeout and change the value to 1000

Click OK

Then back in the left Pane, close up all those folders (keys) again (click in the left pane and press left arrow on your keyboard a few times)

In the left pand, navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Control Panel - Desktop

Then in the right pane, right click in the blank space and choose New - String Value

Name the String Value WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Then double click WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Set its value to 1000

Save and close the Registry Editor

That's It!

DaveM121, Jun 30, 2016
  3. WINDOWS 10 NOT SHUTTING DOWN

Thank you for the information. I have followed your instructions and the computer is now shutting down correctly.

michaelgimblett, Jun 30, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi PS65 and welcome to Tenforums.

You could try a clean boot, (since you say the problem does not present itself in Safe Mode), and then try turning on a few at a time, to identify which one is causing the problem.
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Jun 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Not Shutting Down - Similar Threads - Shutting Down

2. My PC immediately wakes up from sleep or shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My PC immediately wakes up from sleep or shut down: Whenever I put my pc to sleep it shut down for a second and than immediately something clicks and then it turns back on. I tried the command--powercfg -lastwake-- in cmd and it says amd usb 3.10 extensible host controller - 1.10 microsoft this wakes it up...
  3. My PC immediately wakes up from sleep or shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC immediately wakes up from sleep or shut down: Whenever I put my pc to sleep it shut down for a second and than immediately something clicks and then it turns back on. I tried the command--powercfg -lastwake-- in cmd and it says amd usb 3.10 extensible host controller - 1.10 microsoft this wakes it up...
  4. My PC immediately wakes up from sleep or shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Laptop randomly shutting down when playing games like Fortnite

Laptop randomly shutting down when playing games like Fortnite: My laptop keeps shutting down everytime i play Fortnite My laptop Specs;Laptop Name: Lenovo Y50-70Ram: 16GBProcessor: IntelR CoreTM i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 64 Bit Please Help Me...
  6. Laptop randomly shutting down when playing games like Fortnite

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop randomly shutting down when playing games like Fortnite: My laptop keeps shutting down everytime i play Fortnite My laptop Specs;Laptop Name: Lenovo Y50-70Ram: 16GBProcessor: IntelR CoreTM i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 64 Bit Please Help Me...
  7. Laptop randomly shutting down when playing games like Fortnite

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Hello, My laptop opens for 15 seconds and doesn't shows display then it shut down after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hello, My laptop opens for 15 seconds and doesn't shows display then it shut down after...: Hello, My laptop opens for 15 seconds and doesn't shows display then it shut down after 15 secondsPlease help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-my-laptop-opens-for-15-seconds-and-doesnt/1889fb68-44e9-4796-a535-b9ace0476c49
  9. Hello, My laptop opens for 15 seconds and doesn't shows display then it shut down after...

Hello, My laptop opens for 15 seconds and doesn't shows display then it shut down after...: Hello, My laptop opens for 15 seconds and doesn't shows display then it shut down after 15 secondsPlease help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hello-my-laptop-opens-for-15-seconds-and-doesnt/1889fb68-44e9-4796-a535-b9ace0476c49
  10. Surface shutting down without warning when battery low.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface shutting down without warning when battery low.: When the battery gets low on my Surface, it will shut off without warning. I'd really prefer a clear warning a minute or two before that happens, and then have it hibernate,Note, this is NOT a battery management concern, this is a shutdown behaviour concern.I've been through...