Windows 10: Windows 10 Not Shutting Down

Discus and support Windows 10 Not Shutting Down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I am new to this forum having given up searching for a solution for many days! My computer stopped logging off / shutting down / restarting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PS65, Jun 30, 2016.

1. PS65 Win User

Windows 10 Not Shutting Down

Hi, I am new to this forum having given up searching for a solution for many days!

My computer stopped logging off / shutting down / restarting following some changes made.

A local IT providers (who has not been of any help since) did the following:

1. Installed VPN software
    2. Setup a Cannon Printer (with the correct driver)
    3. Setup Windows Backup
    4. Setup Network drives.

Dell has been looking at the system and they couldn't identify what service, application or driver could be causing the computer to hang on the above log off, restart or shutdown. I've tried all the forums regarding event viewer (and potentially I may be not spotting something), but still I can't solve it.

It's clearly a process, as safe mode works fine. I've rebuilt the machine before, but I do need all the drives and networks etc in order to do my work, so I could do with identifying the cause. Please could someone help me! I promise to buy them a beer, as I am literally pulling my hair out.

Thank you for any help and advice given.

:)

2. DaveM121 Win User

WINDOWS 10 NOT SHUTTING DOWN

Hi Michael, a common enough problem, it will require a registry fix . . .

Click your Start Button, type regedit and hit Enter - this will open the Registry Editor

In the left pand, navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlSet - Control

Then in the Right Pane double click WaitToKillServiceTimeout and change the value to 1000

Click OK

Then back in the left Pane, close up all those folders (keys) again (click in the left pane and press left arrow on your keyboard a few times)

In the left pand, navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Control Panel - Desktop

Then in the right pane, right click in the blank space and choose New - String Value

Name the String Value WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Then double click WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Set its value to 1000

Save and close the Registry Editor

That's It!

DaveM121, Jun 30, 2016
  3. WINDOWS 10 NOT SHUTTING DOWN

Thank you for the information. I have followed your instructions and the computer is now shutting down correctly.

michaelgimblett, Jun 30, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi PS65 and welcome to Tenforums.

You could try a clean boot, (since you say the problem does not present itself in Safe Mode), and then try turning on a few at a time, to identify which one is causing the problem.
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Jun 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Not Shutting Down - Similar Threads - Shutting Down

2. constant BSOD and spontaneous shut downs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    constant BSOD and spontaneous shut downs: BSOD's have all different messages. Obviously, shutdowns have no message. Sometimes it stays running for half an hour, sometimes it makes it 12 hours. I've looked around these forums trying to figure out what to do and it seems like the answer is always to post a link to the...
  3. constant BSOD and spontaneous shut downs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    constant BSOD and spontaneous shut downs: BSOD's have all different messages. Obviously, shutdowns have no message. Sometimes it stays running for half an hour, sometimes it makes it 12 hours. I've looked around these forums trying to figure out what to do and it seems like the answer is always to post a link to the...
  4. PC shutting down randomly. Event viewer Kernal Power 41

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC shutting down randomly. Event viewer Kernal Power 41: I have a EVGA GeForce RTX 3070. The PC shutdowns when I play small application games like Minecraft, battle bit, Roblox, indie games etc. etc. but when I play big games like call of duty, battlefield, triple AAA games the shutdown won't happen. thermal paste on the AIO cooler...
  5. PC shutting down randomly. Event viewer Kernal Power 41

PC shutting down randomly. Event viewer Kernal Power 41: I have a EVGA GeForce RTX 3070. The PC shutdowns when I play small application games like Minecraft, battle bit, Roblox, indie games etc. etc. but when I play big games like call of duty, battlefield, triple AAA games the shutdown won't happen. thermal paste on the AIO cooler...
  6. PC shutting down randomly. Event viewer Kernal Power 41

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. How to stop shut down menu delaying?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop shut down menu delaying?: I have a habit of closing apps and shutting my laptop off with Alt + F4. I used to be able to access the shut down menu immediately after closing all apps just by using Alt + F4 continuously. But recently about 2 months now, after closing all apps with Alt + F4, I have to...
  8. How to stop shut down menu delaying?

How to stop shut down menu delaying?: I have a habit of closing apps and shutting my laptop off with Alt + F4. I used to be able to access the shut down menu immediately after closing all apps just by using Alt + F4 continuously. But recently about 2 months now, after closing all apps with Alt + F4, I have to...
  9. My Asus Rog Strix Laptop is Shutting Down Automatically When on Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Asus Rog Strix Laptop is Shutting Down Automatically When on Sleep Mode: My laptop is shutting down automatically when on sleep mode. It might be caused by over-heating on sleep mode. The laptop has a second monitor connected to it at all times.FYI: I have already removed nvidia drivers and installed them from the scratch again.This issue is...
  10. My Asus Rog Strix Laptop is Shutting Down Automatically When on Sleep Mode

My Asus Rog Strix Laptop is Shutting Down Automatically When on Sleep Mode: My laptop is shutting down automatically when on sleep mode. It might be caused by over-heating on sleep mode. The laptop has a second monitor connected to it at all times.FYI: I have already removed nvidia drivers and installed them from the scratch again.This issue is...