Windows 10: Windows 10 not shutting down

Discus and support Windows 10 not shutting down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. My pc will not shut down when using a Desktop VPN , after installing the anniversary update. I have this problem on my two pc`s. I did not have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dbvoss, Oct 15, 2016.

1. dbvoss Win User

Windows 10 not shutting down

Hi.
    My pc will not shut down when using a Desktop VPN , after installing the anniversary update. I have this problem on my two pc`s. I did not have this problem before. Can any one please help.

:)

dbvoss, Oct 15, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

WINDOWS 10 NOT SHUTTING DOWN

Hi Michael, a common enough problem, it will require a registry fix . . .

Click your Start Button, type regedit and hit Enter - this will open the Registry Editor

In the left pand, navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlSet - Control

Then in the Right Pane double click WaitToKillServiceTimeout and change the value to 1000

Click OK

Then back in the left Pane, close up all those folders (keys) again (click in the left pane and press left arrow on your keyboard a few times)

In the left pand, navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Control Panel - Desktop

Then in the right pane, right click in the blank space and choose New - String Value

Name the String Value WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Then double click WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Set its value to 1000

Save and close the Registry Editor

That's It!

DaveM121, Oct 15, 2016
  3. WINDOWS 10 NOT SHUTTING DOWN

Thank you for the information. I have followed your instructions and the computer is now shutting down correctly.

michaelgimblett, Oct 15, 2016
Thema:

Windows 10 not shutting down

1. Windows 10 not shutting down - Similar Threads - shutting down

2. Second window flashes when I shut down.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Second window flashes when I shut down.: Whenever I shut down my computer, a second window appears for a split second and then disappears instantly, what could be the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-window-flashes-when-i-shut-down/c75cc92e-712e-4a64-9417-3b555f400199
  3. Second window flashes when I shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second window flashes when I shut down.: Whenever I shut down my computer, a second window appears for a split second and then disappears instantly, what could be the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-window-flashes-when-i-shut-down/c75cc92e-712e-4a64-9417-3b555f400199
  4. Second window flashes when I shut down.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does my computer randomly shut itself down strictly during gaming?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my computer randomly shut itself down strictly during gaming?: I have had my PC for about 3 years now, during some of those years recently I'd say maybe 2 almost, my PC has experienced random shut downs during gaming, it happened in roblox which isn't that heavy for the specs I'm using. I have a ryzen 3 3200g with 16gb of ram. My mother...
  6. Why does my computer randomly shut itself down strictly during gaming?

Why does my computer randomly shut itself down strictly during gaming?: I have had my PC for about 3 years now, during some of those years recently I'd say maybe 2 almost, my PC has experienced random shut downs during gaming, it happened in roblox which isn't that heavy for the specs I'm using. I have a ryzen 3 3200g with 16gb of ram. My mother...
  7. Why does my computer randomly shut itself down strictly during gaming?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Hard shut down leads to BCD file error 0xc0000098

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard shut down leads to BCD file error 0xc0000098: My friend was having issues logging in to her computer Windows 11 sign-in screen was getting stuck, so we attempted to solve that by repeatedly holding down the power button to hard shut down and open the Recovery Environment as outlined here. However, when the computer...
  9. Hard shut down leads to BCD file error 0xc0000098

Hard shut down leads to BCD file error 0xc0000098: My friend was having issues logging in to her computer Windows 11 sign-in screen was getting stuck, so we attempted to solve that by repeatedly holding down the power button to hard shut down and open the Recovery Environment as outlined here. However, when the computer...
  10. My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many...

My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many...: My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many times but it's not changed and stuck help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-stuck-on-7-of-update-and-not/631f574a-c24e-41d5-8944-4647123c141a