Windows 10: Windows 10 not shutting down

Discus and support Windows 10 not shutting down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. My pc will not shut down when using a Desktop VPN , after installing the anniversary update. I have this problem on my two pc`s. I did not have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dbvoss, Oct 15, 2016.

1. dbvoss Win User

Windows 10 not shutting down

Hi.
    My pc will not shut down when using a Desktop VPN , after installing the anniversary update. I have this problem on my two pc`s. I did not have this problem before. Can any one please help.

:)

dbvoss, Oct 15, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

WINDOWS 10 NOT SHUTTING DOWN

Hi Michael, a common enough problem, it will require a registry fix . . .

Click your Start Button, type regedit and hit Enter - this will open the Registry Editor

In the left pand, navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlSet - Control

Then in the Right Pane double click WaitToKillServiceTimeout and change the value to 1000

Click OK

Then back in the left Pane, close up all those folders (keys) again (click in the left pane and press left arrow on your keyboard a few times)

In the left pand, navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Control Panel - Desktop

Then in the right pane, right click in the blank space and choose New - String Value

Name the String Value WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Then double click WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Set its value to 1000

Save and close the Registry Editor

That's It!

DaveM121, Oct 15, 2016
  3. WINDOWS 10 NOT SHUTTING DOWN

Thank you for the information. I have followed your instructions and the computer is now shutting down correctly.

michaelgimblett, Oct 15, 2016
Thema:

Windows 10 not shutting down

1. Windows 10 not shutting down - Similar Threads - shutting down

2. BSoD Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap when shutting down PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSoD Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap when shutting down PC: I don't know if this is harmful. It never occurs normally when working/playing games, just when shut down. I've tried solution that change dumping files from auto to small and it doesn't work. I need to turn off the plug to shut down pc. How to fix this? submitted by...
  3. Windows 10 won't shut down or hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 won't shut down or hibernate: A while ago I was testing out another OS (Linux to be specific) and dual-booting it with my Windows 10. I decided to erase Linux and in doing so, I faced an error starting up windows: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device...". I rebooted many times and changed BIOS boot...
  4. My computer won't shut down.

My computer won't shut down.: I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 and I didn't have this issue there. Whenever I shut down windows, it shuts down and then, no more than a second later starts up again. This is very annoying - every time I shutdown I have to wait for it to start up again and then shut...
  5. My laptop randomly shut down and was stripped of all personalisation. It is increasingly...

in Windows 10 Customization
    My laptop randomly shut down and was stripped of all personalisation. It is increasingly...: Hello, I will preface this by stating that I am an absolute novice when it comes to computers. If this issue has a really simple fix, has been asked a million times before or has been posted in the wrong place, I can only apologise. A few days ago (29/11/19) I had just...
  6. Windows Unable to Shut Down or Restart

Windows Unable to Shut Down or Restart: Hello, A couple of weeks ago I updated my Windows 10 to the most recent version, and now I'm having a pretty annoying problem. After startup, when I start my daily routine, I seem to loose my internet connection after some time (it differs every time) no matter what I'm...
  7. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if...: HI there, I've been experiencing an issue where my PC Reboots randomly. The only pattern I've noticed is that I'm using Chrome and not much else. I never really get any part of the computer above 10% utilisation. This is the view on the event viewer. I've reinstalled...
  8. Apps that prevent my PC from shutting down

Apps that prevent my PC from shutting down: So I have 2 programs in the autostart, Winamp and Chatty and before format Winamp used to prevent from shutting down, now after the format it's Chatty (I believe having them in autostart casuses the problem, maybe it's something different). Is there any solution? submitted...
  9. My acer laptop keeps shutting down at the acer boot up screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My acer laptop keeps shutting down at the acer boot up screen: I have an acer aspire 3 a315-21, that keeps shutting down when I try to boot up. If I hold a button down while it boots up the screen stays on, but if I let go it turns of within seconds....
  10. Windows 10 shuts down with message

Windows 10 shuts down with message: On my laptop, for some reason, at a completely random time, a window that looks like some sort of coding screen (completely black with text being typed in). A quick message pops up in it, with the only thing I can catch before it disappears is something about 32 and shutting...