Windows 10: Windows 10 Not Using Both CPU's

Discus and support Windows 10 Not Using Both CPU's in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; HI all! I've searched in the forum and can't find anything specific to this so I'm afraid it's a new thread. I have a Xeon system that uses two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nuclearpenguin, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Not Using Both CPU's

HI all! I've searched in the forum and can't find anything specific to this so I'm afraid it's a new thread.

I have a Xeon system that uses two CPU's (X5450). When using Windows 8.1 both CPUs showed up on my System Properties and when I also looked at Task Manager.

Now since upgrading to Win 10 it's showing that all CPU's are installed (pic 1) and detected but I don't think it's utilizing both of them (pic 2 and 3).

Any fix for this? If not I'm going to roll back to Win 8.1 when both were used.

Help is greatly appreciated *Smile

:)

nuclearpenguin, Nov 23, 2015

2. Problem with Credentials

When I try to access the server cpu. I get the window that asks for credentials. Login and password. The server does not have a password, but everytime I enter the login information I get "invalid credentials". Both the cpu I am trying access and the
    cpu I am using are Windows 10. I can access most of the other windows 10 cpus on the network but not all. This is the only cpu on the network having this problem.

CyndiHooks, Nov 23, 2015
  3. RuntimeBroker consumes high CPU while running GrooveMusic

As of the latest Groove update (version 10.16092.1031.0), this high CPU usage problem has mostly gone away for me. RuntimeBroker will use a lot of CPU for a short period of time after Groove starts up (as its syncing the OneDrive library), then it will stop
    using the CPU and playback will use minimal CPU power. Even if I minimize the Groove app, CPU usage still stays low unlike before this update. This update allows me to minimize Groove, enjoy my OneDrive library, and not waste CPU power and battery life.

I observed this both on my desktop and my Surface Pro 3, both running fully updated Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

The_D0lph1n, Nov 23, 2015
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Windows 10 Not Using Both CPU's

I believe Windows 10 Home is limited to 1 physical CPU. CPUs over the limit will be ignored. Home versions of Windows going back to XP have always had this limit. There is no workaround.

You will need Windows 10 Pro to use all CPUs.

Note that this is a limit on the physical CPUs, not cores. Limits on cores are well above what any current CPU can provide.

LMiller7, Nov 23, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    I'm pretty sure that post #2 is correct, although I haven't been able to find a Microsoft link to that.

Another way of putting it: physical CPUs = sockets.

I wonder why the OP didn't upgrade to Win 10 Pro. To have run dual sockets in 8.1, the machine must have had 8.1 Pro installed.

bobkn, Nov 23, 2015
  6. I was thinking about something else when I wrote the post. I had Win7 Ultimate installed and that showed all my sockets. I have since re-installed everything (since my start button refused to work) and put Pro on it. Now all RAM and sockets are being used.

Thanks all!

nuclearpenguin, Nov 27, 2015
  7. pparks1 Win User
    Home versions have always been limited to 1 physical CPU.

pparks1, Nov 28, 2015
  8. Windows 10 Not Using Both CPU's

Hi all. I know this waking up an old thread but I installed W7 Ultimate and it upgraded to W10 Pro. All processors are now being used. Thanks for your help!

nuclearpenguin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Not Using Both CPU's

1. Windows 10 Not Using Both CPU's - Similar Threads - Using Both CPU's

2. Windows 11 - System Uses %10 CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - System Uses %10 CPU: Hello,Recently, I noticed that system alone uses %10 of my CPU all the time and I don't think it is normal. I checked another computer with win11 and that computer doesn't have this issue. Windows: Windows 11 Pro 64-bitProcessor: Intel Core i7-11800H 2.30 GHzMemory: 16 GBAnd...
  3. Windows 11 - System Uses %10 CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - System Uses %10 CPU: Hello,Recently, I noticed that system alone uses %10 of my CPU all the time and I don't think it is normal. I checked another computer with win11 and that computer doesn't have this issue. Windows: Windows 11 Pro 64-bitProcessor: Intel Core i7-11800H 2.30 GHzMemory: 16 GBAnd...
  4. upgrading both my motherboard and CPU,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrading both my motherboard and CPU,: I going to be upgrading my motherboard and cpu in the next week or so. with that being said I purchased this pc through a rental company and was not provided with a windows disk or product key. will I still be able to boot into windows with it being saved to my SSD/hard...
  5. upgrading both my motherboard and CPU,

upgrading both my motherboard and CPU,: I going to be upgrading my motherboard and cpu in the next week or so. with that being said I purchased this pc through a rental company and was not provided with a windows disk or product key. will I still be able to boot into windows with it being saved to my SSD/hard...
  6. Widget Windows using CPU

Widget Windows using CPU: Dear!For a few days now, after booting in Windows 11, process "Windows Widget" consumes CPU in background ~25% on my Intel i7-8550U, making my PC hot and kicking on the fans.Until now, every time I start my PC, I kill the "Windows Widget" task in task manager.Unfortunately,...
  7. Using a Windows 10 PC with both HDD and SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using a Windows 10 PC with both HDD and SSD: Hi folks,I had a disaster with my new Windows 10 PC with SSD + HDD and I am trying to find out what I did wrong.Out of the box, the PC was fine but I wanted to install a different Windows version on the HDD. The installation completed successfully BUT the SSD seemed to...
  8. Win 10 Pro not utilizing both cpu's in a 2 cpu computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 Pro not utilizing both cpu's in a 2 cpu computer: I have a Dell Precision T3500 with 2 Xenon processors. A graphics program I use needs intense cpu use. I have determined that only one of the cpu's is being utilized. Checking the forums, I see that for Win 10 to use both cpu's I need to have Win 10 Pro. I have the pro...
  9. Using both Hotspot and WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using both Hotspot and WiFi: Hey guys altough i just created my account i have been using ten forums for the past 3 years i love this page. This is the first time in my life i cant find an answer to something and i think its because its impossible. So here it is, i am stuck in a hotel with bad wifi and...
  10. How to get Windows 10 PRO to see both CPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get Windows 10 PRO to see both CPU: I have an older Dell T5500 workstation I am using as my desktop. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 and have 2 Intel Xeon x5675 (@ 3.07GHz) installed. When I go to the device manager it shows 12 cores but Task Manager only shows 6 cores and 6...