Windows 10: Windows 10 November Upgrade (1511, 10586.3) and Azure

Discus and support Windows 10 November Upgrade (1511, 10586.3) and Azure in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to recover from the November 2015 Windows 10 Upgrade. I was a child prodigy when it came to computers in the 60s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mfaklis, Nov 24, 2015.

1. mfaklis Win User

Windows 10 November Upgrade (1511, 10586.3) and Azure

I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to recover from the November 2015 Windows 10 Upgrade. I was a child prodigy when it came to computers in the 60s and I was taking college Computer Science courses in high school. I have an engineering degree in Computer Science. I was using IBM 360/65 and Univac 1108 as personal computers, developing the ability to enter programs via the light panels. I invented the first programmable spreadsheet program 2 years before Dan Brickman released VisiCalc for the Apple II. I've been working with and developing software for Windows since before Windows 1.0. Let's just say I am not a novice.

When Microsoft announced Azure at a TechNet meeting a few years ago, it reminded me of three things;

1) In the 60s and 70s, Service Bureaus ( worked at UCC, CSC, and others at that time) would provide many tools to customers which made their computer use easier, but the aim was really to tie the customers to our systems. It wasn't easy to move off of UCC's systems and onto CSC's. Make it as difficult and expensive as possible to change Service Bureaus. Azure promises to lower the total cost of ownership by dynamically adjusting the footprint to the business's needs. Let Microsoft add some more system backbone and capacity for Holiday shopping and then shrink the footprint when the needs allow. Why tackle capacity planning, backup and recovery, and network security when you can just let Microsoft deal with it all.

2) Azure gave me a flashback to the James Bond movie, "Tomorrow Never Dies" with Jonathan Pryce as the bad guy and Michelle Yeoh as the heroine. The bad guy owns an immense world wide data and information network and want to use it to rule the world. Watch the Movie again. Microsoft's promotion for Azure doesn't say they want to take over the world. Satya Nadella wants to take over the planet. Is this just a semantical overstatement? Wrap your heads in aluminum foil and think about it.

3) Cracking the security on Azure is the golden goose of organized crime. There are others with my skills but with their ethics chromosome missing. The NSA already demands unfettered access by federal laws deemed to be well known government secrets. Sometimes conspiracies are real.

The other side of the coin;

Ten years ago or so, I was designing processes and procedures for Wells Fargo Bank to test vendor updates before they were let loose onto the core business systems. Norton, McAfee, Microsoft, and others were all guilty of letting poorly tested updates into the wild and we were all experiencing system outages caused by a vendor update. Imagine to costs to Wells Fargo if their bank teller systems were all down.

While we were trying to mitigate the damage caused by bad updates, vendors (and most prominently Microsoft) were getting more secretive about what was in an update and what problem was it addressing. They claimed acknowledging a bug, security vulnerability, and the fixes would cause a more serious security vulnerability because it would give criminals the information needed to penetrate security. I always believed that was a weak argument because by then the problem was resolved by the update. With Azure, Microsoft is telling us to trust them. Which the last few Microsoft operating systems it's been near impossible to find the information needed to evaluate an update. Try tuning off automatic updates applied without administrative approval, and Windows will just revert those settings without telling you.

Will we ever find out the real cost for the blunderous November 2013 upgrade to Windows 10 1511 10386.3? Microsoft has rereleased this upgrade at least three times in the last couple weeks and finally pulled it. I've spent two grueling weeks trying to isolate the problem and find a work-around. I've hit the wall when it repeatedly breaks viewing the event log. In my youth I admit to trying voodoo debugging, but I don't think it ever worked. My inner voice, which is supposed to be suppressed by my medications, is telling me to revert to Windows 7. Remember how Windows 7 Professional allowed seamless execution within an XP virtual machine?

Let me close my editorial by reminded everyone that Microsoft cancelled to TechNet program just after announcing Azure. Who is guarding the henhouse now? The gods of Azure?

:)

mfaklis, Nov 24, 2015
  2. Domaine72 Win User

Have not received new updates for Windows 10

just to clarify, i installed windows 10 the 13 november using the new iso with the november update in it (i have version 1511 build 10586.3), by the way i reenabled defender and it download the new definitions without problems.

Domaine72, Nov 24, 2015
  3. MDMcD Win User
    Windows 10 - Cannot print documents from Microsoft Edge browser

I am happy to report that after updating my Windows 10 installation to the November Update, version 1511, build 10586.3, the print preview function works now in both the Edge browser and the Mail app.

MDMcD, Nov 24, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 November Upgrade (1511, 10586.3) and Azure

1. Windows 10 November Upgrade (1511, 10586.3) and Azure - Similar Threads - November Upgrade 1511

2. Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586 restars

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586 restars: hey there,i have been having some trouble, i have updated to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586 but it says i have to restart again and again and it never goes away. I do not get an errors or anything like that its just that the update stays and keeps restarting my pc every...
  3. Failed: Upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1511, 10586

Failed: Upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1511, 10586: The windows update 'Upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1511, 10586' fails with 'Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware'. This PC (laptop) is running Windows-To-Go (Windows 10) from a an external USB SSD. It has...
  4. Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586 Failed 3 times

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586 Failed 3 times: I have a 4 week old HP notebook with Windows 10 already installed. The above Upgrade (Update??) has failed 3 times & I suspect it is the root of other problems (Can't create more user accounts, can't sign in to Cortana.) According to the web others are experiencing the...
  5. Problem Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586

Problem Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586: Keep repeating on the update and won't update it... [img] Any solution? 37910
  6. 1511 10586 update

1511 10586 update: Hi all, I have a Samsung Laptop which has Windows 7 Home edition on it. I have upgraded it to the Windows 10 Home and all is fine. Windows now informs me that an upgrade version 1511, 10586 is ready to update so I clicked check for udates and it says click to download,...
  7. Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586: Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586 will not download and install. However the updater keeps telling me it is ready for installation, then is decides on it's own to restart any damn time it wants to. For a while, I had control over this. Then, like a dummy, I...
  8. Fails to Upgrade to Windows 10 v.1511, 10586 (Nov.update)!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fails to Upgrade to Windows 10 v.1511, 10586 (Nov.update)!: Hi, my first post here since i start to be pretty desperate. My Win 10 (version 10.0 Build 10240) has downloaded and installed version 1511, 10586 now already five times. Every time it asks to reboot to finish the upgrade there pops up a window in the lower right corner...
  9. problem with upgrade to windows 10 home, version 1511, 10586

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    problem with upgrade to windows 10 home, version 1511, 10586: tried to install the upgrade to windows 10 home, version 1511, 10586, and it refuses to take, keeps telling me there's a problem and to try again later. 30115
  10. Windows 10 version 1511 10586

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 version 1511 10586: Has anyone had this update restart your machine 11 or 12 times and still Windows still wants to do it again. I have over the last 10 or so days. How now brown cow? Microsoft folks, is it an update or are you just being annoying!!!???? Please advise. I would like to get past...