Windows 10: windows 10 now not active after a hardware change my windows 10 was a upgrade from win 7

Discus and support windows 10 now not active after a hardware change my windows 10 was a upgrade from win 7 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; how do I activate my win 10 it was active when my oldlaptop died it was a hp now my hard drive is in my old laptop and is running ok but now windows is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by angelaburke3, May 29, 2020.

1. windows 10 now not active after a hardware change my windows 10 was a upgrade from win 7

how do I activate my win 10 it was active when my oldlaptop died it was a hp now my hard drive is in my old laptop and is running ok but now windows is not active can anyone help

regards Angela

:)

angelaburke3, May 29, 2020
  2. trog100 Win User

Windows 10 Hardware change

it seemed that easy for me.. i created (from a downloaded ISO) using the mediacreation tool a usb install disk on my main machine.. from that i made (using wintousb) a usb install disk.. from that disk i installed win 10 on an old (win 7) dell machine and made a portable win 10 usb stick which fires up and and works on any machine i have tried it on..

i must admit to being surprised at being able to do this but i could.. *Smile windows 10 now not active after a hardware change my windows 10 was a upgrade from win 7 :)

it does need an activated machine to download the iso in the first place and the win 10 on a usb stick is remarkably usefull.. he he

i have made two of these portable windows 10 devices.. one on a 32 gig sandisk workspace device (a bit pricey) the other on a cheap (£25) 64 gig ssd drive using a sata to usb connecting cable.. i am using win 10 64 pro..

i did wonder what windows would do with my portable win 10 32 gig usb stick regarding this new upgrade.. i plugged it in to see.. it told me the upgrade was ready to download and install.. i "defered" the option because i doubt there is room on the 32 gig stick for it.. it only has 14 gig free..

i will try my cheap 64 gig device and see what it does with that.. he he..

for what its worth the old dell machine just got its new upgrade without problems..

trog

ps.. my win 10 flash drive versions are quite safe.. windows is quite happy to give me the normal updates but "windows cant install on a flash drive" so i cant get the new version.. not unless i download the iso and using wintousb make another one.. he he..

"win to go" isnt offically part of win 10 i dont think.. but it seems quite easy to make it so.. and what you make does seem to activate on other machines..

the only conclusion i can make is that MS are not being too heavy handed as regards activation codes.. they want the world hooked on windows 10..

trog100, May 29, 2020
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Windows 10 Hardware change

No. That only applies to an OEM key. IF you had a retail key that you upgraded, you are more than welcome to transfer this key to another device, just as you would have been able to before the upgrade. The default for retail keys is three activations before you need to call in and get help with activation. Previously, it was required that you install your retail OS first and then upgrade, but the most recent build of Win10 removes that requirement and allows direct installation of Windows10 using your retail Win7/8/8.1 key.

cadaveca, May 29, 2020
  4. Laurijan Win User

windows 10 now not active after a hardware change my windows 10 was a upgrade from win 7

Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

I bought Windows 7 Pro OEM key from G2Play.net for 12€ to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro - worked like a charm but be advised if you buy a OEM key you can not download the Win 7 iso from microsoft and have to get it elsewhere.

Laurijan, May 29, 2020
Thema:

windows 10 now not active after a hardware change my windows 10 was a upgrade from win 7

1. windows 10 now not active after a hardware change my windows 10 was a upgrade from win 7 - Similar Threads - active hardware change

2. Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change: I switched my hard drive for one of those new shiny SSDs. Little did I know that MS needs to be informed before such a change. Now windows is no longer activated and won't reactivate through my account. I do I get windows activated again? Nothing I've seen on the web pages...
  3. Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change: I switched my hard drive for one of those new shiny SSDs. Little did I know that MS needs to be informed before such a change. Now windows is no longer activated and won't reactivate through my account. I do I get windows activated again? Nothing I've seen on the web pages...
  4. Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Win 10 activation after hardware change

Win 10 activation after hardware change: What i need to do afer changing motherboard and processor to get rid of error 0xC004F211?I used Troubleshoot tool, but the output was "We werent able to activate Windows on this device", then i pressed "I recently changed hardware on this device" and got that:"Unable to...
  6. Win 10 activation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 activation after hardware change: What i need to do afer changing motherboard and processor to get rid of error 0xC004F211?I used Troubleshoot tool, but the output was "We werent able to activate Windows on this device", then i pressed "I recently changed hardware on this device" and got that:"Unable to...
  7. Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7

Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7: Hi,I've recently changed the motherboard and CPU of my computer and I'm now being asked to reactivate my account error code 0xC004F211. The problem is that I upgraded from Windows 7 and don't have an activation key for Windows 10. I also didn't have a Microsoft account linked...
  8. Dreaded Windows 10 Activation Issues after hardware change after free upgrade from 7

Dreaded Windows 10 Activation Issues after hardware change after free upgrade from 7: Probably the millionth time someone has had this problem and its still a mess so here we go lol Title sums it up. My understanding was I had a digital activation key. I found the guides for this kind of reactivation and thought I did everything I was supposed to do but ran...
  9. Activation problem after upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation problem after upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10: When I check activation it shows "Unable to reach Windows activation servers". I have wireless connection thru router, in fact I logged into this forum and entered this post on laptop with the problem (#1 system info in profile). Any ideas? 141839
  10. Failure to activate Windows 10 (Upgrade from Windows 7) after hardware change.

Failure to activate Windows 10 (Upgrade from Windows 7) after hardware change.: Hello, I bought Windows 7 Ultimate (retail from Amazon UK) on 22 March 2011 and took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro in 2015. I have reinstalled numerous times over the years, including a CPU/motherboard/SSD hardware change in 2016. Every time I have...