Windows 10: Windows 10 NTFS Compression

Discus and support Windows 10 NTFS Compression in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a single file which is 1.6Tb terabites in size. I've click the properties and in advanced attributes I ticked "compress contents to save... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tahong, Mar 17, 2021.

1. tahong Win User

Windows 10 NTFS Compression

Hi, I have a single file which is 1.6Tb terabites in size. I've click the properties and in advanced attributes I ticked "compress contents to save disk space" then suddenly hang/freeze. I decided to cancel and restart my pc. After rebooting I noticed that the file has now a two blue arrow in the icons. I opened the file but now become corrupted. I tried tlto unticked the "compress contents to save disk space" and applied. But nothing happens, after going back to properties, the "check" in the box is still there even if I already unticked it. The two blue arrow in the icon were also present. Is there any fix for this issue? I hope somebody will help me with my problem. Thank you

:)

tahong, Mar 17, 2021
  2. Agi73 Win User

NTFS compression

I bought ASUS E200H: Win 10 Home; 32GB of SSD (the operating system occupies around 20GB, so only around 10GB is left for me).

After installing all the programs that I need, I had around 1GB of free space.

I was advised to perform the NTFS compression on the whole C:.

So I checked the NTFS compression fir C:, and it started to run.

As it ran, I noticed that the Windows Manager says that there is less and less free space.

When it was around 200MB, i decided to stop the process, and unchecked the compression.

The process started running again, and the free space continued decreasing, and soon reached 0 bytes.

So the question is, what should I do now?..

Should I let the compression run to the end? Or keep it decompressed - but in this case how can I regain the free space that I had before running int this procedure?.. Or possibly compress only some folders - which yes and which no?..

Thanks in advance.

Agi73, Mar 17, 2021
  3. XVI
    xvi Win User
    NTFS Compression on Event Logs

Anyone ever try doing NTFS compression on their Error Logs?
    It's all text, so it should compress pretty well.

Windows 10 NTFS Compression NTFSCompressEventLog.png

Windows 10 NTFS Compression NTFSCompressProperties.png

Anyone else try this? I suppose it's only useful in server-land when you have huge event logs..

To compress:
    Run services.msc
    Find Event Log and set to "Disabled"
    Reboot
    Go to c:\windows\system32\config
    NTFS Compress anything that ends in .evt
    Run services.msc
    Find Event Log and set to "Automatic"
    Reboot

4. RejZoR Win User

Is NTFS Compression really on-the-fly?

I was wondering this, but couldn't get a definitive answer. I thought about it, i use NTFS on all USB drives anyway so i can fit 4GB+ files on them and multimedia devices support NTFS anyway. So when possible, it would make more space available on USB. However, when you write data to USB thumb drive, is data copied uncompressed to the drive and then compressed (transparent, but not truly on-the-fly) or is it compressed in memory during transition itself and stored directly in a compressed form (truly on-the-fly).

Because if it's not done in memory, you're actually doing more writes than you would without compressing. But if it does compress in memory during transit, it would save a bit of a data and also make less wear.

I was also checking MS docs and it just descibes what NTSF compression does and how (algorithms and how it applies it to files), but they don't explain how it's done on a file systam scale ie, the thing i'm asking about.

RejZoR, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 NTFS Compression - Similar Threads - NTFS Compression

2. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening: I very recently compressed my drives recently to save space, but the first time I tried to open an Excel file, in one of my drives, instead of opening normally it just gave me a save option!!! and it could only save the file as *.xlsm, which I could not open either.I tried...
  3. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening: I very recently compressed my drives recently to save space, but the first time I tried to open an Excel file, in one of my drives, instead of opening normally it just gave me a save option!!! and it could only save the file as *.xlsm, which I could not open either.I tried...
  4. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. NTFS disk compression, bizarre behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS disk compression, bizarre behavior: Hello. I am a newbie here (Windows 10 Build 18363). Thanks for having me. I used to repair software and hardware issues in a Windows environment, so I am tech savvy. I have several disks, including two SSDs. Recently, I noticed my primary SSD was filling up. Every day....
  6. Disable NTFS Compression, but only for new files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable NTFS Compression, but only for new files: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GDP10 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i2mpfp/disable_ntfs_compression_but_only_for_new_files/
  7. NTFS Compressed Images 2,56GB FileSize

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS Compressed Images 2,56GB FileSize: Hello together, first of all, my windows 10 Installation is german, so i hope you can follow all steps, even if the screenshots are with german labels. My Problem: 1. I Copied a lot of Images an Videos 696 Files alltogether from an Huawei P30Pro to my c:-Drive...
  8. DISM fails with error 112 when NTFS compression is enabled WinPE 10

in Windows 10 News
    DISM fails with error 112 when NTFS compression is enabled WinPE 10: [ATTACH]In today’s post, we will attempt to resolve the issue of NTFS compression in WinPE 10 using all available disk space on your Windows computer. […] This post DISM fails with error 112 when NTFS compression is enabled WinPE 10 is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders: Hi. I just noticed on my small 32GB netbook that a folder on the desktop has the blue arrows on it signifying that Windows 10 has compressed the folder and its contents on its own I guess because I don't have a lot of space left on the netbook. I found this tutorial and...
  10. Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows Windows supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression. While NTFS file system compression can save disk...