Windows 10: Windows 10 NTFS incompatible with Windows 7?

Discus and support Windows 10 NTFS incompatible with Windows 7? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a machine that (for testing purposes) dual boots either Win 10 (the default) or Win 7 (sometimes). I added a new disk to that machine,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Martin Husemann, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Windows 10 NTFS incompatible with Windows 7?

I have a machine that (for testing purposes) dual boots either Win 10 (the default) or Win 7 (sometimes).

I added a new disk to that machine, partitioned with GPT and some other (non-windows) partitions on it, plus a NTFS partition starting at ~2 TB going to the end of the disk (which is 4T in marketing speech).

The GPT entry of the new partition looks like:

start size index contents
    0 1 PMBR
    1 1 Pri GPT header
    2 32 Pri GPT table
    34 2014 Unused
    [..]

3519072256 2048 Unused
    3519074304 4294962831 3 GPT part - Windows basic data
    Type: windows
    TypeID: ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7
    GUID: 9309fd8c-3ece-47d5-bf42-ec66a3d94a1c
    Size: 2048 G
    Label:
    Attributes: None
    7814037135 32 Sec GPT table
    7814037167 1 Sec GPT header

I formated the volume under Win 10 (as NTFS, with default settings) and copied data there.

Then I rebooted into Win 7 and the system prompted to chkdsk the new volume, which I aborted.

Instead I did check it when back in Win 10 and it checked clean.

But whenever I try to access the volume from Win 7, it can use somd folders / files just fine, but some other folders are inaccessible ("refer to some externals source not available" or similar cryptic error message) and then are hidden.

Back in Win 10 a chkdsk recovers the folders.

So is there some known incompatibility between NTFS in Win 10 and Win 7? Should I have created the volume in Win 7 instead?

I only tried a very limited number of repetitions, but the behaviour seems to be reproducable so far.

:)

Martin Husemann, Aug 27, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 27, 2019
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Aug 27, 2019
  4. Windows 10 NTFS incompatible with Windows 7?

Windows 10 Snipping Tool on Windows 7

All it is is one extra step beyond what is native to windows 10. Yes, technically it would be easier to have the functionality of print built in to the Windows 7 version, but you just have to save it ,and right click on it ,and print.

As far as getting the windows 10 version into windows7. I know there was a way to get the old winpaint, so maybe there's a way to get the snipping tool into 10, I don't know.

im curious if i could compress, and upload the application to this post? 7zip doesnt seem to be allowed

jboydgolfer, Aug 27, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 NTFS incompatible with Windows 7?

1. Windows 10 NTFS incompatible with Windows 7? - Similar Threads - NTFS incompatible

2. Internal HDD shown in explorer and marked as NTFS but I can't access it's files or see the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal HDD shown in explorer and marked as NTFS but I can't access it's files or see the...: Hello, I had to reinstall my windows on a 1TB SSD and before it could see the drive just fine. Now when I reinstalled it, it does show my internal HDD but I can't access any of its files. Disk management says its a 2TB drive with assigned letter and name. It also says that...
  3. Internal HDD shown in explorer and marked as NTFS but I can't access it's files or see the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal HDD shown in explorer and marked as NTFS but I can't access it's files or see the...: Hello, I had to reinstall my windows on a 1TB SSD and before it could see the drive just fine. Now when I reinstalled it, it does show my internal HDD but I can't access any of its files. Disk management says its a 2TB drive with assigned letter and name. It also says that...
  4. Internal HDD shown in explorer and marked as NTFS but I can't access it's files or see the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to change NTFS permissions regardless of Full Control access

Unable to change NTFS permissions regardless of Full Control access: HelloThere's a folder on a server to which I have full control permissions. I need to add new security group to the folder. It should inherit permissions from parent folder, but it doesn't, I receive message " Failed to enumerate... Access denied". I have tried to add the...
  6. I have 2 partitions of ext4, I want to convert it to NTFS permanently without loosing any...

I have 2 partitions of ext4, I want to convert it to NTFS permanently without loosing any...: I have 2 partitions of ext4, I want to convert it to NTFS permanently without loosing any data because I have no hdd to backup. How can I do that?...
  7. I have 2 partitions of ext4, I want to convert it to NTFS permanently without loosing any...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have 2 partitions of ext4, I want to convert it to NTFS permanently without loosing any...: I have 2 partitions of ext4, I want to convert it to NTFS permanently without loosing any data because I have no hdd to backup. How can I do that?...
  8. I have 2 partitions of ext4, I want to convert it to NTFS permanently without loosing any...

9. Syncing encrypted files and folders between two computers with NTFS and Windows 10/11 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Syncing encrypted files and folders between two computers with NTFS and Windows 10/11 Pro: Background: I have encrypted most of my data files on computer A using EFS. I sync those files with computer B using Syncthing. I have installed the EFS certificate from computer A onto computer B and vice versa. Both computers use Windows Pro and NTFS. My question: If I edit...
  10. Syncing encrypted files and folders between two computers with NTFS and Windows 10/11 Pro

Syncing encrypted files and folders between two computers with NTFS and Windows 10/11 Pro: Background: I have encrypted most of my data files on computer A using EFS. I sync those files with computer B using Syncthing. I have installed the EFS certificate from computer A onto computer B and vice versa. Both computers use Windows Pro and NTFS. My question: If I edit...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. was windowes 7 wexclusively ntfs