Windows 10: Windows 10 numlk works on startup doesn't after sign on to Windows

Discus and support Windows 10 numlk works on startup doesn't after sign on to Windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This problem exists on both my laptops. Searches don't address my particular issue. HP upgraded from Win7 and Toshiba upgraded from Win8.3 6-10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gslses, Dec 30, 2015.

1. gslses Win User

Windows 10 numlk works on startup doesn't after sign on to Windows

This problem exists on both my laptops. Searches don't address my particular issue.

HP upgraded from Win7 and Toshiba upgraded from Win8.3 6-10 months ago to Win10.

I've tried to change from Fast Start which fixed only the failure on Toshiba to restart on command which was a good thing. Did nothing for HP.

I've changed the keyboard registry in both computers to the #2 which did nothing. (The HP was already set to 2)

I've gotten the latest patches and upgrades for Win10 on both laptops. Did nothing.

The numlock light comes on and stays on. The on screen icons show either locked or unlocked properly. Only the directional controls continue to work in either locked or unlocked mode.

I've found nothing anywhere that addresses this. Has to be a software issue as computers are different manufacturers and one is 3 years old and other is less than one year old.

It baffles me that it works on startup to put in my PIN and only fails when logged on to Windows 10.

Thanks,

Doug

:)

gslses, Dec 30, 2015

2. Notebook - NumlK

Why does the Numlk keypad no longer works for Windows 10? It stopped working today. However it was working the previous 2 days after Windows 10 upgrade. When I press the NumLk key it beeps.

MaureenOlsen_829, Dec 30, 2015
  3. Windows 10 installed - but the NUMLK key always off at Login.

Upgraded from 7 to 10. No issues. But now when I reach the Login Screen I have to press the NUMLK key to get the numeric keypad working. (NumLk on was the default in my Windows 7). And the registry key is still set to 2 - so Windows 10 is ignoring this.

Tried flipping the NumLk key on and then using the Bottom Right Power Button to Restart - but still the NumLk key returned to am off state.

Tried setting the registry value to 800002 as suggested - still no joy.

Has ANYONE found a way to get the NumLk key to be ON at Login Screen - automatically?

RobertCrisp, Dec 30, 2015
  4. bobfrost Win User

Did you try this?

I tried most of the suggested tips, but only one worked;

Go to Registry HKUsers/Default/ControlPanel/Keyboard and change the Keyboard Indicator value from 2147483648 to 2147483650, i.e. change the last two numbers from 48 to 50.

More details at http://winaero.com/blog/enable-numlo...en-windows-10/

Bob Frost

bobfrost, Dec 30, 2015
  5. gslses Win User
    I tried the 21474850 and the suggested 80000002 on both laptops. When I restarted the computers only the final digit remained each time. So I end up with only a 2 or a zero single digit and no change in operation. The number 1 or 2 is where they started originally.

Thanks for the advice it was worth a shot. Every time I do something I learn a little more.

Doug

gslses, Dec 31, 2015
  6. bobfrost Win User
    That's strange! I've just changed mine again twice just to check, and the full number stays put with just the last two numbers changed. I can't think what is causing yours to be different.

bob Frost

bobfrost, Dec 31, 2015
  7. bobfrost Win User
    I'm guessing now, but I run my computer in Admin mode, and use an Admin Command Box for regedits. That allows me to change the registry entries. If you are not running as an Admin or not using an Admin Command box, my guess is you don't have permissions to alter the keyboard values. To check, go to the Keyboard entry in the LH column of regedit, right-click on it and look at what permissions you have. On mine, Users only have read permissions, Administrators and System have full permissions which allows changing the entries.

If that is not the reason, I'll have another think!!

bob Frost

bobfrost, Dec 31, 2015
  8. gslses Win User

I did what you said (thanks I didn't know how to do that before).
    Turns out I had "Full Control" marked for myself as both administrator and user.

When I additionally checked off "full control" on "All application Packages" it wouldn't let me change the number at all and came back as 2 every time no matter what number I put in there even 1 or 0.

Anyhow it didn't work but nice try. I learned something from you yet again. If my computers didn't have number pads like my wife's this wouldn't be an issue would it*Smile

Thanks again. Happy New Year!!

Doug

gslses, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 numlk works on startup doesn't after sign on to Windows - Similar Threads - numlk works startup

2. Windows startup repair doesn't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows startup repair doesn't work: Got some trouble with the updates. Windows having error messages saying problem with winload.efi. Startup repair move me to a new screen again it fails. Every options I choose keeps on failing. I dont even get any progress. Please help me I need my computer....
  3. Windows startup repair doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows startup repair doesn't work: Got some trouble with the updates. Windows having error messages saying problem with winload.efi. Startup repair move me to a new screen again it fails. Every options I choose keeps on failing. I dont even get any progress. Please help me I need my computer....
  4. Windows startup repair doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. NumLk wont stay on

in Windows 10 Customization
    NumLk wont stay on: I have a windows 10 Dell Vostro machine. Problem is the NumLk setting wont stay "on", and during the day the numeric key pad cannot be used. Is there some way to keep it on permanently, maybe using the Registry to that effect, or by executing some macro at startup which will...
  6. windows startup sign in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows startup sign in: everytime i starup my pc it needs password but i dont even have password set up , disabled it everywhere even using netplwiz but doesnt work. also sometimes it just stops for 1-2 months and just starts again idk what to do...
  7. Windows Hello Sign In doesn't work after Windows 10 2004 version Update

Windows Hello Sign In doesn't work after Windows 10 2004 version Update: Hi, I am using a Dell XPS 15 9560..... I recently updated the windows version to Windows 10 2004 version. Now the FINGERPRINT READER and FACE RECOGNITION have stopped working saying that "We can't find a fingerprint scanner/camera compatible with Windows Hello Fingerprint"....
  8. Windows Startup doesn't let me sign in

Windows Startup doesn't let me sign in: So I've been playing VALORANT and it requires me to restart my pc that's beside the topic, though, and there's an issue where when I hit the restart button on the bottom left, it closes like normal, and restarts. However, once restarted, on the home screen where you're...
  9. Keyboard doesn't work at sign-in or Windows Hello, Windows 10

Keyboard doesn't work at sign-in or Windows Hello, Windows 10: The keyboard on my HP Spectre does not work at the sign-in screen. I can work around the problem by choosing "Sign-in Options" and then choosing the Password icon - the keyboard works in that field. I have followed every piece of advice I have found in multiple threads, but...
  10. sign into Windows at startup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    sign into Windows at startup: When the person built my PC he did not enter and password to sign in. I used to see my Microsoft account password. Google is outdated as it no longer shows a place in accounts to sign in with MS address. How can I create a setup so I can sign into Windows at startup with my...