Windows 10: Windows 10 occasionally stuck at lock screen after locking the system

Discus and support Windows 10 occasionally stuck at lock screen after locking the system in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello all, I have been dealing with an annoying problem lately and unfortunately I have not been able to figure it out on my own. So basically more... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by d_damen, Aug 23, 2019.

1. d_damen Win User

Windows 10 occasionally stuck at lock screen after locking the system

Hello all,

I have been dealing with an annoying problem lately and unfortunately I have not been able to figure it out on my own. So basically more and more users in our domain environment started mentioning that their computer was stuck at the Windows 10 welcome screen. In all situations this happened after locking the system and logging back after some time. When you are at the welcome screen and press a key to bring up the login fields, you will see a brief blue screen flash and then it just pops back to the welcome screen. Restarting the computer from this Windows is also not possible and a hard-shutdown has to be performed in order te restart the system. After a restart logging in to the system works again until the next time a user locks it for some duration and tries to log in again. I'll write down below all the things I've tried:

- We had a policy that required CTRL ALT DELETE to be pressed in order to log in. We disabled it but it did not solve the problem

- We found something about the Desktop Heap Size so we made the following change in bold which also did not resolve the issue:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems > Windows:
    ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,20480,768 aangepast naar ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,20480,2048

- We ran sfc /scannow on some systems and nothing was found

The problem is very hard to reproduce since it happens after locking the system but it does ALWAYS happen, perhaps it is time related but I'm not completely sure. If anyone has any tips please let me know because I have ran out of ideas.

:)

d_damen, Aug 23, 2019

2. Ads displayed in Lock Screen

Hi Subhadeep,

Windows Spotlight is an option for the lock screen background that displays different background images and occasionally offers suggestions on the lock screen.
    To turn off Windows Spotlight, go to Settings, clickPersonalization,
    select Lock screen, under Background select a different lock screen background.

To avoid messages on your lock screen, you can consider the following:

• Make sure that the "Get fun facts, etc" on your Settings is turned off.
    • Disable “suggestions” that appear as notifications. To do so, follow these steps go to
      Settings, then select System, then click
      Notifications & actions
      and turnoff “Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and occasionally when I sign in to highlight what’s new and
      suggested”.
    • Disable “tips, tricks, and suggestions”. Head to Settings then select
      System, then click Notifications & Actions and disable the “Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows” option.

Don't hesitate to reply on this thread if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, Aug 23, 2019
  3. No Lock screen in Windows 10.

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in system settings.

To assist you to better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "rolling slideshow ", what exactly are you referring to?
    • When you say that "I can't activate it again.", are you referring that you are not able to Activate Windows 10?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps which you have performed to resolve the issue?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below to set the lock screen pictures.

1. Right click on Desktop screen.

2. Then click on Personalize.

3. Click on Lock Screen.

4. Try to select the lock screen picture.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with Lock screen, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 23, 2019
  4. JOE
    joe Win User

Windows 10 occasionally fails to login after screen lock

Occasionally (meaning, not always), after screen lock, login will fail on my Windows 10 desktop. I've tried looking online for possible solutions, but I find more topics about not being able to get to the login screen at all.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Lock screen
    2. Press key/click to access login prompt
    3. Enter anything for login information (either right or wrong password)
    4. Wait some amount of time (>10s) with a spinner
    5. Screen returns to lock

Reproduction rate: Very low, but once it occurs, it will continue to happen until restart.

Occasionally, I will also see a black screen with a cursor for a very short time after attempting unlock.

I'm not running any modifications to my lock screen. The amount of time locked doesn't seem to matter (it's happened within as little as 10min). So far, it only seems to happen after my computer has been on for a long time (weeks). The computer isn't frozen, since I can still attempt logins (and my applications and network connections are still open underneath, as verified from the network and other computers' clients). Unfortunately, it's Win10 home, so I can't attempt a remote desktop connection.

Not sure where to start looking for possible solutions to this problem, since I get so many results for other login screen issues.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 occasionally stuck at lock screen after locking the system - Similar Threads - occasionally stuck lock

2. Stuck on the lock screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on the lock screen: My pc was running fine the I took a break after 3 days but when I came back I was stuck on the lock screen with my keyboard and mouse not responding but is working I tested it out on Bios. And no it didnt crash because i can still see the clock moving. I have tried everything...
  3. Stuck on the lock screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck on the lock screen: My pc was running fine the I took a break after 3 days but when I came back I was stuck on the lock screen with my keyboard and mouse not responding but is working I tested it out on Bios. And no it didnt crash because i can still see the clock moving. I have tried everything...
  4. Windows 10 stuck on lock screen.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 stuck on lock screen.: I have Lenovo ideapad 330 windows 10. Today I get notification about scan for drive errors so I did that. After scanning it ask for restart and after restarting my laptop stuck on lock screen. Please help me....
  5. Windows 10 stuck on lock screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 stuck on lock screen: Whenever I press a key it does the animation of the time and date sliding up but never actually goes to the log in screen, and then resets. I've tried doing startup repair but it just says it couldn't repair my PC, and booting into safe mode just gives me an infinite loading...
  6. Lock Screen glitching occasionally

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock Screen glitching occasionally: My lock screen has been glitching a few times in the past month. Sometimes when i press a key to go to the login screen, the screen goes black and resturns back to the lock screen after a few seconds. After trying again a few times, I force restarted it and it started...
  7. Windows 10 Lock Screen Image Occasionally Changes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Lock Screen Image Occasionally Changes: Has anyone noticed that on a reboot (from off or a restart) that Windows will occasionally change the Lock Screen Image from the one you have selected/uploaded? It appears this only happens after a software update (either Windows or other Apps) and the original image always...
  8. Windows 10 Lock Screen Image Occasionally Changes

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Lock Screen Image Occasionally Changes: Has anyone noticed that on a reboot (from off or a restart) that Windows will occasionally change the Lock Screen Image from the one you have selected/uploaded? It appears this only happens after a software update (either Windows or other Apps) and the original image always...
  9. Stuck on lock screen - windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck on lock screen - windows 10: Hi I have a lenovo thinkpad x1 2nd gen tablet/convertible (ssd m2) The battery would not charge and all power was used. This is now remedied (new motherboard). However I cannot get past the lock screen. I would normally swipe / press enter to get to log in but this does...
  10. Stuck at "Lock screen"

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck at "Lock screen": I tried to look into this issue myself but most threads are related to a windows update that prevented login, or various other Windows startup issues, non explained the problem I'm having, so here it is: Windows automatically goes into the lock screen with screen savers...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows stuck at lock screen

2. sccm remote lock screen after time