Windows 10: Windows 10 October 2018 update - file explorer now almost useless

Discus and support Windows 10 October 2018 update - file explorer now almost useless in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Thanks for nothing, MS. Another update that breaks things that did not need fixing, FIle explorer is now impossible. "Quick Access" now always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FredericoZenozzograte, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Windows 10 October 2018 update - file explorer now almost useless

Thanks for nothing, MS. Another update that breaks things that did not need fixing,

FIle explorer is now impossible. "Quick Access" now always results in "File Explorer (Not Responding)" and sits there like a stunned mullet. CTRL + ALT + DEL and kill the task is the only way out.

The only way I can keep file explorer alive is if I'm real quick and type in an explicit path.

Not happy, guys! So how do I fix this? (IN plain english would be appreciated)

:)

FredericoZenozzograte, Oct 13, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 13, 2018
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows 10 April 2018 Update(SCU) Partially Breaks MKV File Support?

I updated to main computer to the April 2018 Update, AKA Spring Creators Update, and it seems like they've taken a step backward with MKV file support. When I go into the properties of an MKV file on the Fall Creators Update, if I go to the details tab it gives me a bunch of detail about he media file, like resolution, framerate, audio information and bitrate. However, if I go into the same file's properties on the April 2018 Update, almost all of the information is blank, it only gives me a runtime and bitrate.

I really just want to confirm that this isn't just my computer and other's are experiencing the same thing.

FCU:

Windows 10 October 2018 update - file explorer now almost useless fcu-png.png

April 2018 Update:

Windows 10 October 2018 update - file explorer now almost useless scu-png.png

newtekie1, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Windows 10 October 2018 update - file explorer now almost useless

WINDOWS OCTOBER 2018 UPDATE

Hi,

If you have click Checked for updates once, it would continue to download.

Try updating to Windows 10 October update version 1809, manually.

The fastest way to get the upgrade is through Media creation tool or ISO file.

Please download Media Creation Tool from the link below and select Upgrade this PC at the first screen.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

All steps, including upgrading using ISO file and Media creation tool, are covered here:

https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2018/10/update...

Disclaimer:

This is a non-Microsoft website which would provide accurate and safe information. Watch out for ads on the site which are frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). There is no need to buy paid products to fix your computers as they do
    more harm than good sometimes.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 October 2018 update - file explorer now almost useless

1. Windows 10 October 2018 update - file explorer now almost useless - Similar Threads - October 2018 update

2. Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now available

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now available: UDPATE: 10/9: Cumulative Update KB4464330 Windows 10 v1809 Build 17763.55 - Oct. 9 - Windows 10 Forums Grab more quiet time with the #Windows10 October 2018 Update. It’s available now and crafted to help you make the most of every moment. #MicrosoftEvent Known issues...
  3. Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused: Grab more quiet time with the #Windows10 October 2018 Update. It’s available now and crafted to help you make the most of every moment. #MicrosoftEvent Known issues updating to Windows 10, version 1809 Symptom Workaround [ADDED 10/5] We have paused the rollout of the...
  4. Windows 10 October 2018 Update NOW PULLED

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update NOW PULLED: Windows 10 October 2018 Update NOW PULLED 119248
  5. Windows 10 2018 October Update File Explorer Crashing and Freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 2018 October Update File Explorer Crashing and Freezing: I've just updated to the new October Update on my laptop (gaming one, obv. above minimun requirements), and I have experienced several performance issues (as expected, I guess). My main problem is the File Explorer; first, for some weird reason I can't open it from the...
  6. Windows 10 2018 October Update File Explorer Crashing and Freezing

Windows 10 2018 October Update File Explorer Crashing and Freezing: I've just updated to the new October Update on my laptop (gaming one, obv. above minimun requirements), and I have experienced several performance issues (as expected, I guess). My main problem is the File Explorer; first, for some weird reason I can't open it from the...
  7. windows 10 october update 2018

windows 10 october update 2018: hi joydeep sir what bug fixes included in this update for windows 10 october 1809 and aslo what features included. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-october-update-2018/9b39add1-fba9-40d1-8693-31aaf4cc4c1b
  8. Windows 10 October 2018 update how to get it now

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 October 2018 update how to get it now: Don’t wait in what may be a long line and weeks or months for the October 2018 update to be installed on your computer. Here is how you can get it now. Three important things to do before you start the update: A) Create an image backup of your current version of...
  9. Windows 10 October 2018 Update is now available

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update is now available: Microsoft has just released Windows 10 October 2018 Update to the compatible devices. Windows 10 version 1809 is gradually rolling out and if you don’t want to wait any longer, here’s how you can get the new tidbits right now. As expected, Microsoft is rolling out the...
  10. Windows 10 October 2018 Update now available

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update now available: Grab more quiet time with the #Windows10 October 2018 Update. It’s available now and crafted to help you make the most of every moment. #MicrosoftEvent Tweet — Twitter API (@user) View on Twiiter 118968

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer in windows 10 is now useless