Windows 10: Windows 10 October update bug? Overwrite confirmation is missing from ZIP files

Discus and support Windows 10 October update bug? Overwrite confirmation is missing from ZIP files in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) is reportedly hit by another issue where the Windows Explorer would not show the overwrite confirmation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 21, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 October update bug? Overwrite confirmation is missing from ZIP files

Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) is reportedly hit by another issue where the Windows Explorer would not show the overwrite confirmation on some PCs. In some Reddit threads, users have revealed that a bug in Windows 10 version 1809 causes the overwrite confirmation to be missing from ZIP files.

The bug is noticeable when extracting files from a ZIP archive to a location where files with the same name exist. In Windows 10 April 2018 Update, the overwrite confirmation is displayed but in Windows 10 October 2018 Update, no warning is displayed and it causes the data to be overwritten automatically.

“I noticed that whenever I move something out of a zip, the “do you want to replace these files” dialogue never shows up, it just does it. I’ve reinstalled windows and it still does it, it’s only on the October update. Pretty nasty bug since you can accidentally overwrite a file and have no way of getting it back,” a Reddit user explains.

A user has documented a similar problem in another Reddit thread but by the looks of thing, only a small number of systems are affected.

It’s also important to understand that the bug only affects the people who use Windows Explorer to extract compressed files and you won’t notice this issue if you use a third-party app.

It’s likely that Microsoft has already figured out a fix for the problem and the fix will be bundled in a patch for Windows 10 October 2018 Update.

The post Windows 10 October update bug? Overwrite confirmation is missing from ZIP files appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 21, 2018
  2. Arul_D Win User

.zip can't be set to File Explorer

Hello Kathleen,

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Default programs
      in the search bar and press enter

• Click on choose default programs by file type

• Select .zip
      and select File Explorer
    Also you can visit the below link Zip and unzip files.
    (Steps applies to Windows 10).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/zip-unzip-files

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Arul_D, Oct 21, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Zip functions

I am using Windows 10 and trying to create a zip file. I followed the usual steps of selecting a file, right-click, hover on Send To, and then select the Zip option to compress the file. However, there isn't an option for using the Zip function. It is missing.
    I then used File Explorer and found the Zip function on the ribbon, but the function doesn't work. I select the file and click on the Zip icon. Nothing happens, no error message, no file creation, nada.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem would be appreciated...greatly!

SteveC-978, Oct 21, 2018
  4. Windows 10 October update bug? Overwrite confirmation is missing from ZIP files

New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Oct 21, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 October update bug? Overwrite confirmation is missing from ZIP files

1. Windows 10 October update bug? Overwrite confirmation is missing from ZIP files - Similar Threads - October update bug

2. Microsoft confirms issues in KB5031356 Windows 10 October 2023 update

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms issues in KB5031356 Windows 10 October 2023 update: Windows 10 October 2023 update (KB5031356), the latest update for the operating system, is causing several issues for some people. Microsoft has confirmed it’s aware of one known issue where the KB5031356 update may fail to install with 0x8007000d errors, which could prevent...
  3. Microsoft confirms Windows 10 October 2022 Update (22H2)

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 10 October 2022 Update (22H2): The upcoming feature update to Windows 10 is almost here, with minor new enterprise-centric features and improvements. Microsoft is apparently planning to launch Windows 10 version 22H2 in October and it’ll be called ‘Windows 10 October 2022 Update’, according to a company’s...
  4. Winrar icon missing from zipped files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Winrar icon missing from zipped files: Sorry if this is in the wrong category. All zipped files have the plain windows icon. Checked default apps and they all have the winrar icon, and integration in winrar has all the files checked. Reinstalled winrar but no joy. Windows has the latest updates, 20H2 19042.685....
  5. Zip File Program Missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Zip File Program Missing: I believe I accidentally uninstalled the program that came with Windows for unzipping and zipping files. I thought I was uninstalling something else. So right now I cant right click and unzip a file. The program I uninstalled had something in the title of exp, xmp, or...
  6. Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10: Microsoft’s latest cumulative update for Windows 10 has a bug that would break the file association feature in the operating system. The File Association bug prevents certain software from handling specific formats by default. For example, Microsoft Notepad or other Win32...
  7. Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803: Microsoft confirmed on November 8, 2018 that the option to set custom file associations is broken for some users on Windows 10 version 1803. The issue, first reported on November 5, 2018 by Chris Hoffman on How To Geek, prevents users and administrators from selecting custom...
  8. Windows 10 October update ZIP files overwrite confirmation bug likely to get fixed

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 October update ZIP files overwrite confirmation bug likely to get fixed: Windows 10 version 1809, also known as October 2018 Update was pulled by Microsoft after isolated reports of data deletion. Windows 10 October 2018 Update is under fire once again for a bug where the system does not display the ZIP files overwrite confirmation popup but it’s...
  9. Microsoft confirms Windows 10 October 2018 Update has been pulled

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 10 October 2018 Update has been pulled: Windows 10 October 2018 Update was released on October 2 and some users reported that the update is deleting their files and document. Today, Microsoft quietly updated the Windows 10 download page and the company has removed the ISO and Media Creation Tool no longer downloads...
  10. Windows 10 October update BUG!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 October update BUG!: I updated my windows 10 yesterday. After the update, the Windows Store, Ms Edge and Cortana have stop connecting to the internet. Other browsers continue connecting and browsing as usual. There's no problem with other softwares, just Windows Store apps it seems. After...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 zip extractor overwrite error

2. windows 10 update overwrites file associations