Windows 10: Windows 10 October Update - FLAC metadata cut off

Discus and support Windows 10 October Update - FLAC metadata cut off in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have recently updated my computer to the October Update. However, I have noticed that after ripping some of my discs to FLAC, some of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Lumia 625 user, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Windows 10 October Update - FLAC metadata cut off

Hi,

I have recently updated my computer to the October Update. However, I have noticed that after ripping some of my discs to FLAC, some of the metadata gets cut off (e.g. "American Beauty/American Psycho" gets cut off as "American Beauty/American P" instead). This did not happen while I had the April 2018 update, and editing the metadata does not work as it only cuts the metadata again.

Shown below are two albums I ripped into FLAC that have the issue. I hope the issue gets fixed soon.

Windows 10 October Update - FLAC metadata cut off d3ebb2f8-3247-45e9-9c51-c26002d26b7e?upload=true.png

Thanks.

System specs:

Intel Core i5-7500

16GB RAM

240GB SSD + 3TB WD Red + 2TB WD Blue

SATA Optical drive

Windows 10 Pro October Update

:)

Lumia 625 user, Nov 5, 2018
  2. IsaacDaly Win User

FLAC metadata support

What is the metadata support like in Windows 10 for FLAC metadata? At the moment an edited subtitle tag for a FLAC file, which was done in WMP, does not show up when the file is synced over OneDrive to another device. Is the full range of the WMP tags going
    to be available for Windows?

On a side note, is metadata like subtitles be available in the Groove Music app?

IsaacDaly, Nov 5, 2018
  3. Ehsu99 Win User
    FLAC tag/metadata reading in WMP on Windows 10

Gets temporary soultion from Tim De Baets, thanks for his advice,

There are indeed still issues with the native FLAC tag support in Windows 10. I suggest that you report these with the Windows 10 feedback tool. That's the best way to urge Microsoft to fix their FLAC support.

To get better tag support again in WMP, you can first install the WMP Tag Plus plug-in (like you probably did in Windows 7/8.1). Then you will also need to disable the native support; for instructions see How
    do I disable Microsoft's native FLAC tag support in Windows 10?
    in the WMP Tag Plus FAQ.

Ehsu99, Nov 5, 2018
  4. chcolter Win User

Windows 10 October Update - FLAC metadata cut off

FLAC & Media Player in Windows 10

Here is what I have learned so far. Windows 10 implementation of FLAC is flawed and needs to be fixed. Windows 10 does not support all of the FLAC format tags. Everyone who runs across this issue needs to report this to Microsoft through the feedback
    tool. Then they may fix it.

When Windows failed to recognise the tags, I went the old way for getting FLAC to work in Windows. In Windows 7 I used a program called WMP Tag Plus. They know of the issue and give instructions on how to fix this problem listed below.... You have to actually
    disable Native FLAC support and install the WMP Tag Plus to correct the problem. The instructions seem complicated but they worked fine for me.

You can download this add-in for Windows Media Player at this link. Any good codec pack will also work if it has FLAC support.

BM-productions

Is WMP Tag Plus compatible with my system?

WMP Tag Plus supports Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10.

The plug-in should also still work fine with Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Vista, but that combination isn't officially supported anymore.

Why am I experiencing issues with FLAC tags on Windows 10?
    Microsoft has added native FLAC support in Windows 10. This means that, in a default Windows 10 installation, WMP Tag Plus isn't used anymore by Windows Media Player for FLAC tags.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's native FLAC support has been proven to still contain some issues. For example, it doesn't recognize certain tags that are recognized by WMP Tag Plus and most other FLAC implementations. The first thing you should do when you come
    across such an issue, is report it via the Windows 10 feedback tool. That's the best way to urge Microsoft to fix their FLAC support.

Because of the issues with the native FLAC support, you can optionally force the use of WMP Tag Plus for FLAC on Windows 10, thereby giving you the same FLAC support as in earlier Windows versions. For this, you will need to disable the native FLAC support.
    See the next question for instructions on how to do this.

How do I disable Microsoft's native FLAC tag support in Windows 10?
    First of all, make sure that you have the latest available version of WMP Tag Plus. Only versions 2.6 and newer support Windows 10.

Removing existing FLAC songs from the library
    Warning: if you skip this step, there's a high risk that you will lose some of the tags in your FLAC files!

• In Windows Media Player's library, select Music on the left, and type
      type:flac in the Search field.
    • Select a single song, then press Ctrl+A to select all songs.
    • Right-click the selection and select Delete. Choose Delete from library only, then click
      OK.
    • Close Windows Media Player.
    Disabling the native FLAC tag support
    This will not only disable the native FLAC tag support in Windows Media Player, but also in Windows Explorer. It's not possible to disable the support for Windows Media Player and leave it enabled for Explorer at the same time. However, if you're experiencing
    issues with FLAC tags in Windows Media Player, then you will very likely see the same issues in Explorer, so there's not much point in leaving it enabled in the latter anyway.

• Create a system restore point, just in case things get messed up.
    • Launch the Registry Editor: press Win+R, type regedit, and press
      Enter.
    • Navigate to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.flac.
    • Select the (Default) value, press Del, and click
      Yes to confirm.
    • 64-bit Windows only: repeat the previous step for the registry key
      KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.flac (note the
      Wow6432Node component).
    • Navigate to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\SystemPropertyHandlers.
    • Right-click the SystemPropertyHandlers key in the tree, select
      Permissions, and click Advanced.
    • Click the Change link next to Owner, type Administrators as the object name, and click
      OK.
    • In the existing Permission entries, select the Allow entry for
      Administrators and click Edit.
    • Tick the Full Control box, then click OK three times so that you're back in the main Registry Editor window.
    • Select the .flac value, press Del, and click
      Yes to confirm.
    • 64-bit Windows only: repeat steps 7-11 for the registry key
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\SystemPropertyHandlers (note the
      Wow6432Node component).
    • Close the Registry Editor, and restart Windows for the changes to take effect.
    Adding FLAC songs back to the library
    • Launch Windows Media Player and make sure that WMP Tag Plus is ticked in the
      Tools – Plug-ins menu, meaning that the plug-in is active (press
      Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu).
    • Make sure that the native FLAC tag support was successfully disabled. To do this, go to WMP Tag Plus settings (Tools –
      Options – Plug-ins – select Background – select
      WMP Tag Plus – Properties). In the list of supported file extensions, the
      Native support column should show No for FLAC. Finally, close the WMP Tag Plus settings dialog again.
    • To re-add the FLAC songs that were previously removed, go to Tools –
      Advanced, select Restore deleted library items, and click
      Yes.
    Undoing your changes
    If you want to enable the native FLAC tag support again, you can undo these changes by downloading and opening one of the following .zip files. Then unzip and open the included .reg file to import it into the registry:

After the .reg file has been successfully imported, remember to restart Windows for the changes to take effect.

chcolter, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 October Update - FLAC metadata cut off

1. Windows 10 October Update - FLAC metadata cut off - Similar Threads - October Update FLAC

2. When will Windows 11 Media Player be able to read more metadata in flac files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will Windows 11 Media Player be able to read more metadata in flac files?: I store my classical music in flac files. Being able to sort by composer is important to me. I have filled in the "composer" field in all my classical music flac files using Mp3tag, but Windows 11 Media Player does not acknowledge this tag. I have also appended album art...
  3. When will Windows 11 Media Player be able to read more metadata in flac files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When will Windows 11 Media Player be able to read more metadata in flac files?: I store my classical music in flac files. Being able to sort by composer is important to me. I have filled in the "composer" field in all my classical music flac files using Mp3tag, but Windows 11 Media Player does not acknowledge this tag. I have also appended album art...
  4. Power cut off while updating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power cut off while updating: Hello, just 20 minutes ago I was updating windows 11 to 22621.1702 build and when it was 70-80% the power cut off so after the power got on I turned on the PC as it started updating from 33% and finished the update in less than 1 minute and everything seems fine, what can I...
  5. Flac metadata

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Flac metadata: I have some Flacs that need some metadata edited but win10 can't? Mp3s can be edited just fine but Flacs are a no-go? Edit: It also can't even read the length of the Flac submitted by /u/THEK4I [link] [comments]...
  6. Explorer won't show metadata from FLAC files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer won't show metadata from FLAC files: [ATTACH] The title sums it pretty much. I include an image for clarification. Is it possible to fix it? How? Note how MP3 work perfectly submitted by /u/thmasker [link] [comments]...
  7. Truncated FLAC metadata in Windows 10 LTSC 2019

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Truncated FLAC metadata in Windows 10 LTSC 2019: I'm running Windows 10 LTSC 2019 and all my local FLAC metadata are truncated to 25 or 26 bytes. I am sure it is not a GUI truncation and Windows Update could not fix it. Does Microsoft have any plan to fix this? Or is there any workaround?...
  8. Issues with FLAC metadata and options menus on wmv

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issues with FLAC metadata and options menus on wmv: Win 10 Home user here (latest update as of this writing), currently in the process of ripping a 500+ music CD collection into FLAC files for personal use. So far i'm frustrated and disappointed with WMV's way of garbling up the metadata on FLAC files, apparently on purpose....
  9. Window 10 File Explorer cannot properly display the metadata for FLAC files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Window 10 File Explorer cannot properly display the metadata for FLAC files: Window 10 File Explorer seems not able to display the metadata (e.g., Title, Contributing Artist, Album Artist, Album, etc.) of some FLAC files, the contents get truncated, blanked out, or replaced with other funny character. I can see the problematic metadata are populated...
  10. Windows Media Player not writing media information (metadata, tags etc) to .m4a and .flac...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player not writing media information (metadata, tags etc) to .m4a and .flac...: If I rate .mp3 songs in WMP, the rating is reflected back in the file itself, but when I rate .m4a or .flac files, the rating is only there in WMP but in the original file. This happens not for rating, but any other tags/metadata like Album, Album artist, Genre etc. What...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. groove music cut tag flac

2. windows 10 cut off my music titles

3. flac files metadata in windows 10

4. womdpws cant update flac metadata,
  5. windows 10 file explorer cutting of FLAC titles