Windows 10: Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list

Discus and support Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Dear Tenforums users, Since a few weeks I found myself unable to open any documents (Word, Powerpoint) from the 'Recent files list' in my office... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by esmorax, Nov 13, 2016.

1. esmorax Win User

Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list

Dear Tenforums users,

Since a few weeks I found myself unable to open any documents (Word, Powerpoint) from the 'Recent files list' in my office applications. Everytime I try to open it, I get the message: "The item you selected is unavailable. It might have been moved, renamed or removed. Do you want to remove it from the list?"
    I already tried the automatic repair function but it was in vain so far.

Thank you in advance!

-

:)

esmorax, Nov 13, 2016

2. Excel & Powerpoint thumbnails not showing in windows 10 file explorer after updating to office 365

I recently updated to Office 365 and removed my previous version of office. Now I cannot see thumbnails in file explorer for excel and pptx. I can see Word and Adobe. Anyone got a solution?

Moved From: Office / Unknown/other / Windows 10 / Office 365 Home

GayleCilfone, Nov 13, 2016
  3. Bamby99 Win User
    Office Jump lists contain two links to each file: local and Onedrive. Onedrive’s cannot be removed from the list (right click has only Open option)

Office Jump lists (I checked Word and Excel) contain two links to each file, when the file was opened locally: local and Onedrive. Onedrive’s cannot be removed from the list (right click has only Open option)

This is on Win 10, with Office 365. The folder is synched with OneDrive.

Is there a certain setup to control it?

In what folder are the jump lists stored?

Thank you,

Bamby99, Nov 13, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Can you open those documents from File Explorer? I mean if you double click an Office document in Explorer, does it open normally in Word / Excel / PowerPoint?

If you save your Office documents on OneDrive, can you open them on desktop Office apps when Edit in Word / Excel / PowerPoint is selected in browser:

Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list [​IMG]

... and allowing OneDrive to open desktop Word / Excel / PowerPoint:

5. esmorax Win User
    Dear Kari,

I can open Office documents normally when double-clicking in the file explorer. I also tried editing Word document in OneDrive and it seems to work fine.
    The only problem so far seems that I cannot open any Office document from the 'recent files' list...
    I also noticed that the Office icons are missing in my start menu (Windows 10), however on my taskbar the icons work fine.

-

esmorax, Nov 13, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    OK, the files are not corrupt.

I've had same kind of issue a few times, luckily not too often, and the only thing I have found to fix it has been to clear the list of recent files (right click and select Clear unpinned Documents):

When done, open the documents browsing to them (Open Other Documents ) and let the list be repopulated:

7. esmorax Win User
    Thanks for the tip! I followed all above steps.

So far I can open files from the Recent files list when I enter Word itself, however I still am unable to open any documents using the Word icon pinned to the taskbar:

-

esmorax, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list - Similar Threads - Office 365 cannot

2. Cannot see recently opened files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot see recently opened files: i dont see the recently opened files in the "home" of file explorer.... its just gone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-see-recently-opened-files/25434ea6-8414-42bd-aa4f-ca86127f8e8f
  3. Cannot see recently opened files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot see recently opened files: i dont see the recently opened files in the "home" of file explorer.... its just gone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-see-recently-opened-files/25434ea6-8414-42bd-aa4f-ca86127f8e8f
  4. micrsoft office 365 not showing recent open files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    micrsoft office 365 not showing recent open files.: Microsoft office 365 not showing recent open files. I have looked at all the answers and solutions noted by others but none of them work for me. This is happening both on the start menu icons for excel and word and the task bar ones also....
  5. Pinned Office Files do not Stay Pinned; No Recent Files List; [Jump Lists]

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pinned Office Files do not Stay Pinned; No Recent Files List; [Jump Lists]: I ran into a problem again recently when I was helping set up a coworker's workspace. Right-clicking on office programs in the Task Bar for me always shows my recently opened files and files I have pinned there. His weren't showing recent files at all. He could pin files,...
  6. Recent list not reflecting recently opened files unless opened via browser office apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent list not reflecting recently opened files unless opened via browser office apps: I have Windows 10 Home and am on subscribed Microsoft MSO. It has been probably a year now that the recent file list is not working properly. It does not reflect what's been opened recently and appears to only reflect it if a file is opened by going to office.com to open a...
  7. Windows 10 error (cannot open Office 365 files or Adobe pdf files)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 error (cannot open Office 365 files or Adobe pdf files): Hi, may I ask for help to resolve this issue please, as I am unable to open any Office 365 or Adobe PDF files on my laptop, currently as seen in image attachment windows-error-ss-1. Two days ago, I attempted to fix my touchpad which was not working and the fix worked....
  8. Windows 10 error (cannot open Office 365 files or Adobe pdf files) - Windows cannot find...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 error (cannot open Office 365 files or Adobe pdf files) - Windows cannot find...: Hi, may I ask for help to resolve this issue please, as I am unable to open any Office 365 or Adobe PDF files on my laptop, currently as seen in image attachment windows-error-ss-1. Two days ago, I attempted to fix my touchpad which was not working and the fix worked....
  9. Office 97 files on Windows 10 Office 365

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 97 files on Windows 10 Office 365: I know I've been very lax in sticking with Office 97 for years, but the time has finally come to go to Win 10 and Office 365. My question is regarding the Office 97 files (Excel and Word) which I currently have. Will they work under the 365 Excel and Word? They are not...
  10. Office 365 will not allow opening files in documents

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365 will not allow opening files in documents: Since the Creators Upgrade, any Office 365 app, e.g. MSWord does not have option to browse for files in the Documents folder. If I try to browse, It goes to "This PC" and to "not responding". It automatically inserts "Sky Drive" which is probably the problem but I haven't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. office 365 cannot open file from recent list

2. recent files in windows 365

3. windows 10 office 365 cannot open folders

4. office 365 cannot open recent files