Windows 10: Windows 10 on 100% Disk usage from startup - Laptop now completely unresponsive!

Discus and support Windows 10 on 100% Disk usage from startup - Laptop now completely unresponsive! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Today while working on my laptop just one MS Word document open it suddenly became sluggish, then unresponsive. On looking in the task manager I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GrahamGSME, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Windows 10 on 100% Disk usage from startup - Laptop now completely unresponsive!

Today while working on my laptop just one MS Word document open it suddenly became sluggish, then unresponsive. On looking in the task manager I can see that it is showing red "100% Disk" continuously, but nothing to indicate any process using the disk. I have restarted several times, but each time just after startup it goes straight to 100% Disk usage and the computer becomes unusable with all applications freezing and unresponsive.

I have tried:

1, Stopping superfetch

2. Performing a disk check, by running the long process: chkdsk.exe /f /r

3. Disabled search indexing

4. Stopping scheduled defrag

5. Checked for updates - it is up to date

6. Disabled all startup items

7. I tried changing power management, but there is only one option Balanced!

8. Reset virtual memory to recommended

9, Disabled MSI Mode of AHCI whatever that is - I saw this on youtube

None of these have made any difference!

A week or so I was having issues with windows update being corrupted and not being able to update, so I refreshed windows which solved the problem imediately and the laptop was fuctioning well. I don't think this is connected, but the symptom of the update issue was sluggish app response. This is way more severe! Now, just trying to bring up the CMD diallogue box takes several minutes!!! As of now my computer is completely crippled and unusable!

My system info:

Device name DESKTOP-HPD0FC5

Processor AMD A10-9600P RADEON R5, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G 2.40 GHz

Installed RAM 8.00 GB 7.46 GB usable

Device ID EB39985B-4DA1-46FA-9E3C-8D1AD58F91D5

Product ID 00325-96281-99789-AAOEM

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I really need some help!

:)

GrahamGSME, Mar 4, 2021
  2. Rohn007 Win User
    Rohn007, Mar 4, 2021
  3. ZeroMk5 Win User
    100% Disk Usage spike on Windows 10 laptop

This has probably been asked numerous times, but hear me out.

When the Creators Update first kicked in, my computer was completely dead, as it had a very slow start up, and would stay on 100% disk usage almost always.

So I then tried reflashing the laptop BIOS (ASUS laptop, N551JX), and this appeared to fix the problem. Start up was wicked fast, and disk usage stayed normal.

Unless I come back after standby or sleep. When I move my mouse to turn the screen back on, everything becomes unresponsive, and takes anywhere between 5 to 30 minutes to respond again. When the computer is able to respond again, I then immediately open
    up Task Manager, and it turns out that the Disk was at 100% usage during that unresponsive time period.

So why exactly are the Windows updates not fixing this? And why does it specifically happen only after wake up?

ZeroMk5, Mar 4, 2021
  4. Windows 10 on 100% Disk usage from startup - Laptop now completely unresponsive!

100% disk usage.

Summer has ended and my girlfriend booted her school laptop for the first time in months, only for it to be so unbearably slow that it took several minutes to log in. She handed it to me and said "fix it"... that was 3 days ago and now I am here to humbly
    ask the community what is going on with this GD laptop.

It boots and task manager reports 100%CPU usage, it then lags for several seconds and displays 100%disk usage with CPU usage bouncing between 30-60%.

If you leave it alone with task manager running it will eventually quiet down to a reasonable 0-5% disk usage, but doing ANYTHING causes it to bounce right back to 100%.

I have tried EVERYTHING.

• disable superfetch.
    • disable microsoft search.
    • disable updates and suggestive tips.
    • updated to the most current version of microsoft. (it hadn't been updated since 2018 when she bought it.)
    • reconfigured AHCI PCIE.
    • changed energy options.
    • disabled indexing.
    • reset the virtual memory.
    • ran disk defragment and disabled all scheduling.
    • updated all drivers.
    • deleted google chrome.
    • Disabled all services that weren't microsoft services and disabled all startup programs (clean boot).
    Still no change in the disk usage.

Its an HP Laptop model 15-bw0xx with Windows 10 home edition version 10.0.18362

after messing with it this long im considering replacing the HDD with an SSD but I fear that it wont fix the issue.

LucasParsons, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 on 100% Disk usage from startup - Laptop now completely unresponsive!

1. Windows 10 on 100% Disk usage from startup - Laptop now completely unresponsive! - Similar Threads - 100% Disk usage

2. 100 disk usage on startup HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100 disk usage on startup HDD: Hello!I'm getting 100% disk usage every time on startup. It usually went down after a couple of minutes. Services like sys main take up to 99% or 100%. It kinda slows down my laptop. I'm on HDD and is there a way to solve this without upgrading to SSD? I already turned off...
  3. 100 disk usage on startup HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100 disk usage on startup HDD: Hello!I'm getting 100% disk usage every time on startup. It usually went down after a couple of minutes. Services like sys main take up to 99% or 100%. It kinda slows down my laptop. I'm on HDD and is there a way to solve this without upgrading to SSD? I already turned off...
  4. 100% disk usage at startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk usage at startup: Hi, My problem is that Windows takes a long time to start despite being on an SSD, and on further investigation this is because the system disk is at 100% disk usage, slowing down the entire computer, and after using Windows Performance Analyzer, I saw that the "System"...
  5. 100% disk usage at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% disk usage at startup: Hi, My problem is that Windows takes a long time to start despite being on an SSD, and on further investigation this is because the system disk is at 100% disk usage, slowing down the entire computer, and after using Windows Performance Analyzer, I saw that the "System"...
  6. 100% disk usage at startup

7. Disk usage at 100% on startup

Disk usage at 100% on startup: Hi, I have Windows 10 and when I boot up my computer my disk usage is at 100% and it doesn't go down. Task manager is showing no one app using a lot of the disk, and I've disabled apps on startup etc, reset my computer, removed unused apps, used CCleaner and checked disk. I...
  8. 100% Disk Usage on Startup

100% Disk Usage on Startup: Hello, My problem is that Windows takes a very long time to startup despite it being on an SSD Rotating circles for a minute or so, and on further investigation it's because of the system disk having 100% disk usage which slows the entire computer down, and after using...
  9. Windows 10 100% Disk Usage on startup.

Windows 10 100% Disk Usage on startup.: I know there are many people out there who have asked same question but everyone seemed to have different issues. I bought this laptop less then 3 months ago I am unable to use it because of that issue. The 100% Disk Usage occurs every time I start the laptop or restart it....
  10. Windows 10 Disk usage 100% on startup

Windows 10 Disk usage 100% on startup: Hi, I am facing an issue with Disk usage 100% on startup. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-disk-usage-100-on-startup/ef347c7a-b2b2-4881-b45b-5eacd613b2de