Windows 10: Windows 10 on a new computer

Discus and support Windows 10 on a new computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys. Quick question: Is it recommended to uninstall Windows 10 before installing it on a new computer? My license isn't OEM but I was wondering if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darcorn, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Darcorn Win User

Windows 10 on a new computer

Hey guys. Quick question: Is it recommended to uninstall Windows 10 before installing it on a new computer? My license isn't OEM but I was wondering if Microsoft would frown if there were two copies of the same W10 license on two separate computers

Thanks *Smile

:)

Darcorn, Aug 29, 2017

2. Windows 10 on a new computer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to refer the Article created by Andre Da Costa on Jan 26,2015 for more information.

Link: How to troubleshoot Product Activation in Windows 10

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Aug 29, 2017
  3. Windows 10 on a new computer

Hello:

Apologies if this has already been covered. My question is fairly straightforward. I just got a new Mac and intend to install Windows on it. However, on my old Mac with Windows, I upgraded to Windows 10, not realizing that there may be some issues with putting
    it on a new computer.

I previously had Windows 8 (with a product key) before upgrading to 10 (where no product key exists). What would be the best way to install Windows 10 on the new machine? I imagine there are two possible paths: putting Windows 8 on the new machine and using
    the same upgrade path as before (if that is even possible), or contacting support and trying to explain the situation and arrange for a Windows 10 product key.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! I only got a taste of Windows 10 and would love to try it on my new machine without paying an arm and a leg for the privilege after already getting it for free.

Thanks.

StephanH_943, Aug 29, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Legally if you put Windows on a new PC you will need to buy a new copy

Samuria, Aug 29, 2017
  5. Darcorn Win User
    AFAIK it happens only on OEM systems. My license is connected to my MS account since it was an upgrade from a bought Windows 8

Darcorn, Aug 29, 2017
  6. You can't activate with the same retail key on two computers at the same time. It's not allowed. You can move your retail license to another PC though. You need two separate licenses to run Windows on two separate devices. The only exception is volume licensing. Or if it's a MAK key.

alphanumeric, Aug 29, 2017
  7. No. Your license is linked to your Microsoft account. But it's actually tied to the hardware it was activated on. The Digital License for that PC is tied to the hardware ID of that PC. Being linked to your Microsoft account has nothing to do with activation. I can activate my PC with it's DL with a local account. Or another account. Who logs in has nothing to do with it. It's the hardware that is checked. Plus, that license is only valid for the one device.

8. Darcorn Win User

Understood. What if I remove Windows 10 from the previous computer (by doing a format for example) before installing it on the new computer?

Darcorn, Aug 29, 2017
  9. Won't matter, the DL is already stored on the activation server. You need to do that anyway, but it won't stop the activation server from refusing to activate on the new PC with the other license. Once you install and it refuses to activate, you'll get an option to troubleshoot activation. There you can transfer the license. Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Not if it is a retail license for Windows.

NavyLCDR, Aug 29, 2017
  11. Darcorn Win User
    The slmgr /dlv command shows RETAIL channel so I guess I'm safe.

Darcorn, Aug 29, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    That does not tell you which type of license you have. That only tells you Microsoft channel it got activated through. OEM licenses will still activate through the retail channel because when the OEM license is sold with the computer to the end user, it is sold at retail. Showkey Plus from this forum will tell you what type of license you have:
    ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums

Also, to clarify @alphanumeric's post a bit, retail licenses (and their product keys) have a number of uses per specific timeframe during which they will reactivate automatically online on different computers - because, legally, they are transferrable. Rough guess from my past experience is 6 times in 6 months. So as long as you stay within that number of transfers within that time period, new Windows installs on new computers will activate as always. Once you reach that limit, then you have to use an alternate activation method such as calling Microsoft or using the Microsoft Activation Troubleshooter to transfer the license via a Microsoft Account (and that is limited, we discovered by experience, to three transfers).

Also, an interesting note about the Digital License stored on Microsoft Activation servers - there is no way for an end user to delete it from their servers. So let's say you install full retail Windows 10 Home on computer A. You reformat the hard drive on Computer A and leave the hard drive with no partition on it, thus removing Windows 10 from computer A. You install the same Windows 10 Home retail license with the same product key on computer B, and you sell computer A to Joe Smith. Joe Smith installs Windows 10 Home on the computer you sold him and skips entering the product key because he doesn't have a product key for it. That Windows 10 Home will activate on computer A with just the generic Windows 10 Home product key by retrieving the digital license that was previously stored on Microsoft Activation servers, and it will have no affect on your activated Windows 10 Home on computer B.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 on a new computer - Similar Threads - computer

2. Apps close in a few seconds after starting the computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps close in a few seconds after starting the computer: Whatever I open after starting the computer the apps will shut down in a few seconds. I've tried Edge. Chrome and some other games, the results are all the same. It seems like whatever I run in a few minutes after starting windows have the same issue.Restarting the computer...
  3. Apps close in a few seconds after starting the computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps close in a few seconds after starting the computer: Whatever I open after starting the computer the apps will shut down in a few seconds. I've tried Edge. Chrome and some other games, the results are all the same. It seems like whatever I run in a few minutes after starting windows have the same issue.Restarting the computer...
  4. Computer on but frozen on black screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer on but frozen on black screen.: Just went to turn on laptop, it started up as usual and before it got to the initial login screen it went black and is frozen. The power button does nothing even when I hold it down. How can I restart my laptop? I tried ctrl-alt-delete but can't see the optiona to select...
  5. Computer on but frozen on black screen.

Computer on but frozen on black screen.: Just went to turn on laptop, it started up as usual and before it got to the initial login screen it went black and is frozen. The power button does nothing even when I hold it down. How can I restart my laptop? I tried ctrl-alt-delete but can't see the optiona to select...
  6. I was about to buy a new computer, however, I just read that you will be running ads in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I was about to buy a new computer, however, I just read that you will be running ads in the...: I was about to buy a new computer, however, I just read that you will be running ads in the start menu or explorer. Is this true?***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***...
  7. I was about to buy a new computer, however, I just read that you will be running ads in the...

I was about to buy a new computer, however, I just read that you will be running ads in the...: I was about to buy a new computer, however, I just read that you will be running ads in the start menu or explorer. Is this true?***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***...
  8. I want Microsoft edge off of my computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want Microsoft edge off of my computer: Its constantly running in the background ive been cleaning up my pc and cannot figure out how to uninstall it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-microsoft-edge-off-of-my-computer/7c652976-2e76-457e-8581-e2acf0f49745
  9. I want Microsoft edge off of my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want Microsoft edge off of my computer: Its constantly running in the background ive been cleaning up my pc and cannot figure out how to uninstall it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-microsoft-edge-off-of-my-computer/7c652976-2e76-457e-8581-e2acf0f49745
  10. I want Microsoft edge off of my computer