Windows 10: Windows 10 on Dell desktop won't wake-up from sleep -- shuts-off or BSOD

Discus and support Windows 10 on Dell desktop won't wake-up from sleep -- shuts-off or BSOD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This is an old problem, on an old desktop, since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, several years ago: When trying to wake the PC from sleep, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Josephus Flavius, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Windows 10 on Dell desktop won't wake-up from sleep -- shuts-off or BSOD

This is an old problem, on an old desktop, since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, several years ago: When trying to wake the PC from sleep, the screen remains black and the computer shuts off and
    restarts. (It is possible the restart itself happens because the PC is set in the BIOS to start upon sensing power.)

I had no problem using Sleep Mode under Windows 7: The same desktop, same hardware and software (with minor changes over time).

A year ago and earlier, under prior versions of Windows 10, I used to get a BSOD in this wake-up from sleep situation. Nowadays, I get a shut-off/reboot. (Yes, it is possible the BSOD occurrences were the result of other issues, like drivers.)

No other computer problems of any kind: When Sleep Mode is set to Never, everything works perfectly.

I realize that having an older Dell desktop (Dec. 2010, Dell Studio XPS 9100, i7-980X Extreme; Intel X58, Tylersburg platform) combined with a current version of Windows 10 might be the problem.

The PC is fully updated: Windows 10, BIOS, drivers, and software. When running Dell Support detection, it returns the following: "No driver updates found. Your system has the most recent updates".

In addition, I manually checked for driver updates (via Control Panel) and everything was reported as up to date.

Also, I read the following (and similar) support article: Fix: Windows 10 Shuts Down Instead of Sleep

( https://appuals.com/fix-windows-10-shuts-down-instead-of-sleep/ ), pointing to a possible problem with the version of the Intel Management Engine drivers which might cause the shut-off problem.

Upon review, I found out that my system doesn't have the Intel Management Engine Interface shown under the Device Manager... Also, I found no outside information confirming that the Intel Tylersburg platform used the Management Engine software or, if it did, what version. When trying to install several versions, each attempt resulted in an error: Incompatible platform. Therefore, I do not know whether this is the problem.

Over these years, I have tried dozens of proposed solutions mentioned here and elsewhere, but nothing helped.

I live in an area where electricity is expensive and I'd like to minimize power consumption. I use the computer intermittently throughout the day, but often there are long gaps between uses. I know that using hibernation is an alternative but I believe that bringing the PC back from hibernation takes far longer than sleep mode: this is not a good solution for me.

For over 25 years, I used Sleep Mode successfully. I can't imagine that I'm the only PC user who is deeply disappointed by MS seeming inability to make this basic feature work reliably under Windows 10 -- not even several years after it has been out.

I'd be delighted to receive expert attention to this nagging problem, in the hope of fixing it.

Thank you,

JF

:)

Josephus Flavius, Nov 18, 2018

2. my computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep

these computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep ?

oscarperezvc, Nov 18, 2018
  3. itsakjt Win User
    computer won't wake up from sleep...

Update chipset drivers. Also revert all overclock settings to default and check.

A Windows update was there too regarding the BSOD while waking up from sleep on certain HDDs. So check that as well.

itsakjt, Nov 18, 2018
  4. m6soto Win User

Windows 10 on Dell desktop won't wake-up from sleep -- shuts-off or BSOD

Sleep Mode... It won't wake up!

PHEW! It can wake from sleep now!

OMFG. Poisonsnak, you are a freakin' genius. I know your post is over 4 years old, but it just saved my behind! My Dad's Dell Inspiron 530S has been having really junky wake from sleep, but now, turning the default S3 to S1, it can wake just fine from sleep!!! Now I've got to take a power meter to it and see how much juice it sucks in standby.

Thanks a million!

m6soto, Nov 18, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 on Dell desktop won't wake-up from sleep -- shuts-off or BSOD

1. Windows 10 on Dell desktop won't wake-up from sleep -- shuts-off or BSOD - Similar Threads - Dell desktop won't

2. Computer won't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't wake up from sleep: My PC won't wake up from sleep using my mouse; my mouse just turns on for 2 seconds then turns off again. If I use the power button it goes into a loop of being on for 10 seconds then being off for 10 seconds then back on etc. I just have to press the power button for 5...
  3. Sleep Mode Wakes Up Then Shuts Off and Freezes

Sleep Mode Wakes Up Then Shuts Off and Freezes: About 2 weeks ago, I woke up my computer. The screen flashed on very briefly and then back off and freezes. I have to power the computer down and then turn it back on before I can get it to come on and stay on. I have troubleshooted all possible power settings I've found...
  4. Laptop won't wake up from sleep

Laptop won't wake up from sleep: Hi Everyone, I use a HP Pavilion HP-cc-134TX When laptop is connected to power-cord and left idly for certain amount of time, Laptop doesn't wake up from sleep mode. I have to manually hard-restart the system. I tried: 1. ' powercfg -h off ' but this did not help 2....
  5. Laptop shuts off after waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop shuts off after waking from Sleep: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ipenama [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gn5aas/laptop_shuts_off_after_waking_from_sleep/
  6. Computer won't shut down, and won't wake from sleep.

Computer won't shut down, and won't wake from sleep.: The common 'Warnings' I see in event viewer are: The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device HID\VID_B58E&PID_9E84&MI_03&Col02\7&138e2f98&0&0001. & at the 'error' level: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b...
  7. Windows 10 won't wake up from sleep.

Windows 10 won't wake up from sleep.: For the past few weeks my laptop won't wake up from sleep. When I try to wake it the power light turns on red and stays red (usually it only shows red for a few seconds when waking from sleep or during POST then turns blue when windows takes over) and the screen stays dark....
  8. Laptop won't wake up from sleep (Windows 10)

Laptop won't wake up from sleep (Windows 10): Problem has started within the last month or two. My laptop, Asus Zenbook UX330UA (running windows 10), will not wake up from sleep unless I turn it completely off with the power button. I have tried, using older graphics driver, using older MEI driver, scf /scannow (found...
  9. Wake up from sleep to desktop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Wake up from sleep to desktop: I recently had to reinstall Windows. I've never used a password on my desktop PC. I can boot to my desktop. But settings hides functionality without a password. So is there a way to get windows to wake from sleep directly to the desktop without one? Perhaps with a command?...
  10. BSOD on wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on wake up from sleep: After a recent update, On wake up I am told that "attempted to write to read only memory" I have looked at the debug file and it says that a driver is at fault. How do I identify it and how do I replace it and from where? 87589

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell desktop windows 10 wont wake from sleep

2. dell laptop bsod on wake windows 10

3. dell sleep wake up windows 10

4. when dell desktop sleep,
  5. dell wont wake up from sleep windows 10,
  6. Dell/Windows 10 wont wake up,
  7. How to wake up Windows 10 inspiron,
  8. dell 530s desktop doesnt wake from sleep mode and fan spins rapidly,
  9. xps9100 bugcheck sleep mode,
  10. dell studio xps 9100 desktop wont wake from hibernation after windows 10 update,
  11. windows 10 wont wake up from sleep dell,
  12. windows 10 desktop wont wake up with reboot,
  13. inspiron desktop windows 10 problem waking,
  14. dell 3147 a12 sleep mode,
  15. dell desktop wont wake up