Windows 10: Windows 10 on external ssd?

Discus and support Windows 10 on external ssd? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I want to install Windows 10 on my ssd and be able to boot it just from it being plugged into the usb. Like a portable windows 10 submitted by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mylifewastooken, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Windows 10 on external ssd?

I want to install Windows 10 on my ssd and be able to boot it just from it being plugged into the usb. Like a portable windows 10

submitted by /u/mylifewastooken
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mylifewastooken, Oct 30, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 30, 2019
  3. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to External SSD showing as HDD when connected to the PC using USB 3.0 port. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Have you tried connecting the SSD to any other PC?
    2. Are you using any converter to connect the SSD through USB 3.0 port?
    3. Are you using a RAID configuration?

I have researched on your query and found that the SSD that you are using is an internal SSD drive, in this case I would suggest you to try updating the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from the

intel website
    and see if that helps.

In addition, this issue can occur if the SSD is connected to a SATA controller that is identified as RAID (SCSI). I would suggest you to try connecting the SSD to a SATA port that uses AHCI controller such as Intel SATA controller/chipset.

Please get back to us with the detailed information to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 30, 2019
  4. JonOff Win User

Windows 10 on external ssd?

External SSD not recognized as SSD in Windows 10

Hello community!

(this topic applies to Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 equally)

my question concerns an external 240GB SSD drive connected to my laptop via an USB 3.0 port. The SSD works fine, but when using the "Optimize Drives" utility, the drive is listed as "Hard Disk Drive" under media type. As stated by almost all SSD manufacturers,
    standard defragmentation on a SSD can actually harm the SSD and over time reduce performance and life-cycle. A test revealed that the optimization for the external SSD is actually performed like on a regular HDD and the TRIM command is not used. This would
    also indicate that the regular TRIM commands issued by Windows are not applied to the external SSD drive either. Short of turning off automatic optimization, is there a way to tell Windows that this is an SSD drive and to treat it as such (regardless of
    the information provided by the disk- or case-controller) ?

See also picture attached -

Drive C: is a SanDisk SDSSDXP480GR131 SSD drive built in the laptop and recognized properly as an SSD.

Drive F: is Lite-On LMT-256M6M SSD drive attached via one of the USB3.0 ports and classified as regular HDD.

Windows 10 on external ssd? 4fe8f444-305d-4198-837c-34fbdc8e50d7.png

JonOff, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 on external ssd?

1. Windows 10 on external ssd? - Similar Threads - external ssd

2. my external ssd won't connect in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my external ssd won't connect in explorer: Hello Everone,I need your help guys!Since I downloaded photos from my iPhone that were in HEIC format, I sent them to my external SSD, and quickly my external SSD stopped working. My external ssd E: won't connect in explorer, and is looking like this:When I plug it in, the...
  3. my external ssd won't connect in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my external ssd won't connect in explorer: Hello Everone,I need your help guys!Since I downloaded photos from my iPhone that were in HEIC format, I sent them to my external SSD, and quickly my external SSD stopped working. My external ssd E: won't connect in explorer, and is looking like this:When I plug it in, the...
  4. External SanDisk SSD Unlocker does not open or it takes 5-20 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External SanDisk SSD Unlocker does not open or it takes 5-20 minutes: Hello communityI just got new laptop Asus Proart 16 2023 with fully updated Win 11 Home and I have issues with loading my external SSD. It just takes unreasonably extended periods of time. I have tried the same SSD on my old laptop and had no issues at all. I have tried to...
  5. External SanDisk SSD Unlocker does not open or it takes 5-20 minutes

External SanDisk SSD Unlocker does not open or it takes 5-20 minutes: Hello communityI just got new laptop Asus Proart 16 2023 with fully updated Win 11 Home and I have issues with loading my external SSD. It just takes unreasonably extended periods of time. I have tried the same SSD on my old laptop and had no issues at all. I have tried to...
  6. Can I download the Media Creation Tool onto an external-SSD rather than an "USB...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I download the Media Creation Tool onto an external-SSD rather than an "USB...: I have a Samsung T7 external-SSD I'd like to download the Media Creation Tool for Windows 11 onto in order to then Clean-Install the OS onto my PC. I don't have a "USB Memory-Stick" USB Flash-Drive on me right now. This external-SSD is empty and formatted to NTFS, and is...
  7. Can I download the Media Creation Tool onto an external-SSD rather than an "USB...

Can I download the Media Creation Tool onto an external-SSD rather than an "USB...: I have a Samsung T7 external-SSD I'd like to download the Media Creation Tool for Windows 11 onto in order to then Clean-Install the OS onto my PC. I don't have a "USB Memory-Stick" USB Flash-Drive on me right now. This external-SSD is empty and formatted to NTFS, and is...
  8. External ssd file recovery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External ssd file recovery: Hi there, hoping you can help. I have a laptop with an M2 sata ssd. A recent windows update caused certain programs to cease working. I attempted to fix the issue, but somehow managed to lock my user account out of the drive. I bought a replacement ssd and installed windows...
  9. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  10. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. having windows on a external ssd

2. windows extrrnal ssd

3. windows 10 how to trim external SSD

4. how do i reinstall win 10 on my external ssd and use my internal ssd as storage