Windows 10: Windows 10 on laptop that was originally Vista

Discus and support Windows 10 on laptop that was originally Vista in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an HP laptop that was a 2008 model that was purchased at Sam's Club in 2009. It came with the Vista operating system and I have the product key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Cheshire601, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Windows 10 on laptop that was originally Vista

I have an HP laptop that was a 2008 model that was purchased at Sam's Club in 2009. It came with the Vista operating system and I have the product key and an install disk for that. I also have a Windows 7 disk that either came with the laptop or was mailed to me by HP. The laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 in 2015 or 2016. This was a high end laptop for it's time with 4 gb of RAM and all the specs to run Windows 10. Had no issues with it until a Microsoft update in Feb 2020 that was reported to have issues. The laptop locked up during the update and went to a black screen. Tried to restart Windows 10 and would hang up after a few minutes. Decided to restore from Vista and Windows 7 disks as I had product key for Vista. This worked well, but now cannot re-install Windows 10 from download as it keeps asking for a product key for Windows 10 that I never had. I have read that you should be able to re-install Windows 10 without a license if it was already on the computer from a legitimate update from 7. Microsoft should have a record that this computer had Windows 10 previously. Is there a pathway to get Windows 10 back on the computer? Windows 7 is loading a lot of security updates - 23+ at a time - but still not sure if it is secure to use the computer with such an old OS.

:)

Cheshire601, Jun 30, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Can't upgrade laptop to Windows 10

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried Windows Defender and discovered it was not turned on and when I tried to turn it on it would quickly turn itself off again. I used another anti-virus program to check out the laptop but it found no problem. Obviously this laptop has some problems.

My next step is to put the original drive back into the machine and try the Windows 10 upgrade from that and if that also fails do a restore of this laptop to the original Windows 7.

alkaufmann, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Windows 10 on laptop that was originally Vista

Vista Pre-SP1 vs. Vista SP1

I've been Windows Updating for two straight days and I finally saw SP1. If you want to troubleshoot it, follow these steps:

• Show hidden updates
    • Manually install any failed updates (google the KB_____ and install from the windows site)
    • Make sure everything in Device Manager is good to go
    I had to do step two for like 4 or 5 updates to be able to see SP1.

Any other benchmarks you guys want to see? I might try PCMark05 (I think it works on Vista).

DanishDevil, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 on laptop that was originally Vista

1. Windows 10 on laptop that was originally Vista - Similar Threads - laptop was originally

2. Vista to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vista to Windows 10: I have a computer with Windows Vista Enterprise, with a valid product key. I had some problems and got an error message saying I had to reinstall Windows. I don't have the installation disc. I contacted Microsoft to ask for help. They told me to make a bootable drive from...
  3. HP Laptop with windows vista

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP Laptop with windows vista: My wife passed a few years ago and I'm attempting to utilize a laptop she had. It has windows vista on it and For some reason I can't login to it don't know the PWD it found 106 upgrades and installed them. I can't get past the login screen it only has her nameKtisti and the...
  4. HP Laptop with windows vista

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP Laptop with windows vista: My wife passed a few years ago and I'm attempting to utilize a laptop she had. It has windows vista on it and For some reason I can't login to it don't know the PWD it found 106 upgrades and installed them. I can't get past the login screen it only has her nameKtisti and the...
  5. Old vista laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old vista laptop: So I was given an old windows vista laptop that supposedly is in good condition. Unfortunately, they could not remember the password and I haven't been able to get logged in. If I were to buy windows 10 installation, would it wipe it clean with an install so I can start over....
  6. windows 10 laptop to work like windows vista

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 laptop to work like windows vista: How do I get a windows 10 laptop to work like windows vista, with NO apps at all! I want my computer to work like a computer NOT a cell phone! wha do I do? I hate windows 10....
  7. Vista to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Vista to Windows 10: How do I do a clean install from Vista Home Premium to Windows 10? What drivers or programs will need to be loaded after the install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/vista-to-windows-10/86a6f3aa-d214-4825-93db-b4a1ae513702
  8. Anniversary Update will not run original W7/Vista games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anniversary Update will not run original W7/Vista games.: I have clean installed the Anniversary Edition of W10 (x64 pro) and can not get the old W7/Vista games to launch and run. These were the original Chess Titans, Mahjong etc. The files install as normal but the actual games will not launch from the main screen. Nothing...
  9. Updating to 10 using original key from vista to 7.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updating to 10 using original key from vista to 7.: I am getting ready to upgrade to Win 10 on my Dell Studio 1535 laptop. I have been reviewing the forum to see what issues I may encounter and I have not encountered a solution (that may mean I did not understand) . First, I do have a legal copy (3) of win 7 home premium. I...
  10. OS origin for Laptop or Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    OS origin for Laptop or Windows 10: My NE 522 came with Windows 8 64-bit but when I was informed that I could upgrade to Windows 10 for free I jumped on it. I remember having to stair-step to 8.1 then 10 during installation. Everything seemed to be fine for a few months then the BSOD. I managed to get it going...