Windows 10: Windows 10 on OLD COMPUTERS

Discus and support Windows 10 on OLD COMPUTERS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; That is not "old" hardware by any means and Windows 10 would be expected to run like a champ on it which I'm sure it does. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WiiSky70, Feb 8, 2016.

1. lgentry Win User

Windows 10 on OLD COMPUTERS

That is not "old" hardware by any means and Windows 10 would be expected to run like a champ on it which I'm sure it does.

lgentry, Feb 12, 2016
  2. CTPhil Win User

The oldest hardware I've put Win 10 on so far was about 9 years old. My general experience is that the older the hardware the more driver and other conflicts. I had to reinstall on the oldest twice, it locked up so bad I couldn't open the task manager to attempt a fix. Got it sorted eventually and it runs great. (Acer laptop) High end HP laptops with switchable graphics can be tricky, but can be worked around. I've got it running great on Dell laptops with 2.00 gHz dual cores and 2 GB of RAM. Just for fun I'd like to try it on an older P4 machine, I'll bet it will run fine. *Smile Clearly 10 wasn't designed for old hardware, but there seems to be a fix for just about any combo if you're willing to dig in and work it out. *Smile

CTPhil, Feb 12, 2016
  3. WiiSky70 Win User
    Even on this Ivy Bridge it is slow (with oc and everything crancked up)

WiiSky70, Feb 19, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

I have it installed on a Dell Laptop running a T2390 1.86 GHz. Upgraded and installed without issue. It runs about as fast as it can run.

essenbe, Feb 19, 2016
  5. Jack07 Win User
    Running pretty well on this.
    Downsides - 2 minute startup when fast startup is disabled and a little over an hour to upgrade from a build to another.

Windows 10 on OLD COMPUTERS [​IMG]

Jack07, Feb 19, 2016
  6. amtronic Win User
    Does a Dell D820 qualify as an old PC?
    Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU - Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7400 @ 2.16GHz

After the Dell D820, my next attempt will be a Dell XPS Gen5 desktop from 2005 - right now it gives me the "Your CPU does not meet the minimum requirements" reply, but we're not giving up - as old as it is, it's like a vintage Ferrari running Win7 64.

amtronic, Feb 22, 2016
  7. CTPhil Win User
    Ha ha, I'm on a D820 right now running XP. I was thinking of 10 on this machine myself, lol. Why not? It's dual core and 2GB RAM, should run fine. *Smile

CTPhil, Feb 22, 2016
  8. amtronic Win User

I had no success until I bumped mine to 4gb memory. But good luck!

amtronic, Feb 23, 2016
  9. CTPhil Win User
    Good to know. I've got others running Win 10 on 2 GB just fine, but was in fact thinking of spending $20 on a pair of used 2GB sticks for the D820. There is definitely a noticeable difference with 4GB!

CTPhil, Feb 23, 2016
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    I believe the key to running 10 at reasonable speed on 2GB is having a graphics card with WDDM drivers and with a sensible amount of its own video RAM. And then, nothing special is required - see my specs - it's not apparently slow - in fact XP, 8.1 and 10 have similar boot times of about 1 minute, and are similarly, comfortably responsive in use.

The only time it's noticeably slow is during the Windows 10 setup and upgrade, when I believe WinPE uses generic graphics drivers and dedicates 1GB of system RAM to the GPU - which is intolerable - and does not go back to dedicated graphics until the last phase of sysprep, when things speed up again.

Fafhrd, Feb 23, 2016
  11. amtronic Win User
    Got to admit failure (at this point) on putting Win 10 on a Dell XPS Gen 5 desktop system. It would not install directly regardless of the method I used, so I tried an end-run. I took a Win 10 HDD from a newer system and moved it over to the XPS. It loads the Win 10 logo but hangs there. I believe that it is related to the BIOS not supporting some needed CPU calls. The BIOS is at A04 which is the highest supported by Dell. Also, the 955 chipset on the MB may not be good enough to meet Win 10 needs. Looks like they are destined for Unbuntu since it loads and runs very well.

amtronic, Mar 1, 2016
  12. Fafhrd Win User
    Amtronic - have you tried the 32-bit version, or just the 64-bit? Being a very early 64-bit Intel processor, it may not support CMPXCHG16B - but I have no information on this.

Like the Prescott Pentium 4, the Pentium EE840 has SSE2, PAE and NX, and the LGA775 socket and Hyperthreading. The Pentium 4 runs Windows 10 x86 versions well.

I also wonder if the Graphics system on the XPS, although excellent at the time it was released, is not supported by Windows 10.

Fafhrd, Mar 1, 2016
  13. essenbe Win User

essenbe, Mar 2, 2016
  14. Fafhrd Win User
    I think I must be about 3 years before you Steve...

Finally have the Travelmate 2423 running acceptably happily by disabling the modem and wireless card which had an IRQ 21 conflict causing 100% CPU use It's only taken about 6 months to get it running acceptably!

Fafhrd, Mar 2, 2016
  15. lgentry Win User
    Depends on what one calls "old". IMO the D820 is semi-old. I've upgraded about 30 machines thus far but not a D820. You might want to take a look at this article. Seems as though it has been done successfully. http://dellwindowsreinstallationguid...nd-8-1-64-bit/ Be sure that your bios and all drivers are up to date on Windows 7 before you start the upgrade. I'd make a full system backup just in case something goes wrong.

lgentry, Mar 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 on OLD COMPUTERS - Similar Threads - OLD COMPUTERS

2. old computer had all my pics to see now window 11 has all in file and I can not see ALL OF...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    old computer had all my pics to see now window 11 has all in file and I can not see ALL OF...: My new window 11 has micro 365 and I can not see all of my pic at one time.They are in files and when I open it I just get pic # and no real pic...
  3. old computer had all my pics to see now window 11 has all in file and I can not see ALL OF...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    old computer had all my pics to see now window 11 has all in file and I can not see ALL OF...: My new window 11 has micro 365 and I can not see all of my pic at one time.They are in files and when I open it I just get pic # and no real pic...
  4. I forgot the password for an old computer, how can I reset it?

I forgot the password for an old computer, how can I reset it?: I wan to revive an old computer running 8.1 but I forgot the password, what could I do to reset it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-forgot-the-password-for-an-old-computer-how-can/2421b02d-46c6-4854-87ef-df86c49960b6
  5. I forgot the password for an old computer, how can I reset it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I forgot the password for an old computer, how can I reset it?: I wan to revive an old computer running 8.1 but I forgot the password, what could I do to reset it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-forgot-the-password-for-an-old-computer-how-can/2421b02d-46c6-4854-87ef-df86c49960b6
  6. how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having...: how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having Windows home license https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-we-transfer-our-windows-pro-license-from/870479b3-aa84-4006-9b90-8de51b666476
  7. how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having...

how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having...: how can we transfer our Windows Pro license from old laptop to our new computer having Windows home license https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-we-transfer-our-windows-pro-license-from/870479b3-aa84-4006-9b90-8de51b666476
  8. How do i transfer old computer to new?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i transfer old computer to new?: old computer has windows 10. new one has windows 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-transfer-old-computer-to-new/29155073-5779-4ac9-afcf-df07c804fc1e
  9. How do i transfer old computer to new?

How do i transfer old computer to new?: old computer has windows 10. new one has windows 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-transfer-old-computer-to-new/29155073-5779-4ac9-afcf-df07c804fc1e
  10. Transfer Win 11 Pro key after upgrading from Home OEM; and keep Home OEM on old computer

Transfer Win 11 Pro key after upgrading from Home OEM; and keep Home OEM on old computer: My old computer had Win 11 Home OEM. I upgraded it to Win 11 Pro.Is it possible to transfer the 11 Pro key from the old computer to a new computer. Then, keep running Home OEM on old computer?Thanks!...