Windows 10: Windows 10 on Old Equipment

Discus and support Windows 10 on Old Equipment in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I logged in to my insider account and downloaded Windows 10 (I think I downloaded the 10240, because I skipped entering the activation code. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jody Thornton, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Windows 10 on Old Equipment

So I logged in to my insider account and downloaded Windows 10 (I think I downloaded the 10240, because I skipped entering the activation code. I entered it later but it won't activate for now. When I run the ver command it shows as 10240.

I installed it on an HP small form factor PC with a P4 3 GHz and 1 GB of RAM. I just cannot believe how fast it runs. It boots to the logon screen in 8 seconds (I am not kidding). This machine came with XP.

I'm surprised how little you can do with the built in administrator account. I know it's bad practice, but that should be up to the user.

So is there a way to activate this build at this point? It was a fresh installation. I want to continue with insider builds on this secondary machine.

:)

Jody Thornton, Aug 3, 2015

2. Error code: 0xC004C003 Unable to validate Windows 10 from Win 8.1

You would need to go back to Windows 8.1 and unregister the serial before upgrading to Windows 10. The serial is attached to hardware ID so it needs to be unregistered with old equipment then registered and upgraded with the new equipment installed.

Cepheid46e2, Aug 3, 2015
  3. error code 0x000003ea

In reply to other users of old Lenovo equipment. This error occurs because the main drivers, written by Lenovo, have not and will not be updated to Win 10 because they wish you to update your equipment.

The parts that do not work are the new "apps" written by Microsoft for Win 10 operating system. So Edge, Photo, Camera etc do not work. However, third party programs, such as Skype, do work. If you can live with a cut down Win 10, then carry on using your
    old equipment.

RayHaswell, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Windows 10 on Old Equipment

I think you need to register that PC with Insider but I don't remember how.

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  5. badrobot Win User
    Sometimes it just takes a couple of days to get automatically activated. Just make sure you are logged in with your MS account registered with the Insider program. But on one of my test machines, I had to manually enter the generic key via elevated command before it gets activated.

badrobot, Aug 3, 2015
  6. OK, I did try the command prompt method, but received an error. Should I enter a code of any sort?

7. Sorry to bump, but I REALLY don't want this thread getting buried. I apologize.
    *Sad

8. Windows 10 on Old Equipment

Wynona got me fixed up in another thread. (at least I think so.)
    *Smile

9. badrobot Win User
    Great!

Windows Activation lately is somewhat a game of luck. *Smile

badrobot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 on Old Equipment

1. Windows 10 on Old Equipment - Similar Threads - Old Equipment

2. Migrate from Old Windows 7 Computer to New Windows 10 Computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrate from Old Windows 7 Computer to New Windows 10 Computer: I'm helping my daughters family move from he old W7 laptop to a new W10 laptop. The old one only had her user account. The new one will have additional users.I'm tried to determine the best approach to move data and programs from the old to new laptop and set up new users....
  3. Deleting an old micrsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deleting an old micrsoft account: I was a student teacher at a secondary school and was given a school email and microsoft account. I used my own laptop to access MS Teams, emails etc. I left my placement in June and the account was blocked a week after I left, which I knew would happen. But now my laptop...
  4. How to transfer my files on my old hdd to a new hdd?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to transfer my files on my old hdd to a new hdd?: My hdd is now faulty and I bought a new hdd, how can i transfer the files from my old hdd to the new hdd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-transfer-my-files-on-my-old-hdd-to-a-new/6ccd251d-5943-49aa-a6eb-a51caff732c6
  5. Transfer old windows Live email/contacts into windows 10 Mail from old computer hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer old windows Live email/contacts into windows 10 Mail from old computer hard drive: Hi,I am required to transfer old emails/contacts from a hard drive used in a Windows 7 computer that has failed, into a new computer installed with Windows 10. The old hard drive is installed into a caddy and connected to the new computer where I am able to access the old...
  6. How do I get rid of an old email being used to authenticate my account?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I get rid of an old email being used to authenticate my account?: I recently tried to change my password and microsoft put me through several authentifications which would be great security if they didn't all conflict with each other and require more authentifications. Anyway, I have had this issue in the past. I have 2 emails listed on my...
  7. New PC but previous activation key from old and broken device. How to deactivate old...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New PC but previous activation key from old and broken device. How to deactivate old...: Basically I had to buy a new pc because the old one broke completely. Now I have to activate windows on it but the activation key is not working since I didn't deactivate it on the old device. How to deactivate it? Or just buy a new license?...
  8. Delete old hotmail/outlook web based email cached attachments

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Delete old hotmail/outlook web based email cached attachments: I have a whole wrath of old attachments in older outlook online web based email account PC Windows 10 When i search and list i can only view or download one by one . I do not have any options or pull down windows to delete these files I wish to delete a wrath of these old...
  9. How to open old Sound settings panel in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to open old Sound settings panel in Windows 11: [ATTACH]Gone are the days when you could right-click on the volume icon in the system tray to open the Sound settings panel. In Windows 11, if you want to open the old classic Windows 10 Sound settings panel, you have to go through a few more steps. Here are three different...
  10. Can I transfer windows to a new hard drive when the old one is locked by a virus programme

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I transfer windows to a new hard drive when the old one is locked by a virus programme: Hi allMy mother-in-law fell victim to a scam whereby they had her download a programme onto her laptop, after also emptying her bank account. That programme has locked the laptop and the repair store says they cannot get past it to recover the drive. If I replaced the hard...