Windows 10: Windows 10 on older Dell?

Discus and support Windows 10 on older Dell? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; With the recent purchase of a new XPS13, I find myself with an older laptop at my disposal. . .my reliable XPS13, L501X model. It's been a workhorse,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Carbo, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Carbo Win User

Windows 10 on older Dell?

With the recent purchase of a new XPS13, I find myself with an older laptop at my disposal. . .my reliable XPS13, L501X model. It's been a workhorse, problem free, for about 6 years. It's always run Windows 7 Pro. It's has an i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and a 500 GB hard drive.
    Just wiped the drive and ready to install a new OS. I can certainly go with 7 again if necessary, but I'm thinking about running 10 this time around. When I went to Dell's website, however, to check for availability of drivers, it tells me that 10 is not supported on this model. So my question: is anyone running Windows 10 on an L501X and if so, how is it performing? And what are you doing about drivers?
    Thank you.

:)

Carbo, Dec 29, 2016

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Dec 29, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Dec 29, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Why not just try it? All you have got to lose is time.

NavyLCDR, Dec 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 on older Dell? - Similar Threads - older Dell

2. How do I upgrade Windows7 to Windows10 on an older Dell laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I upgrade Windows7 to Windows10 on an older Dell laptop: How can i update to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on an older Dell Inspiron Laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-upgrade-windows7-to-windows10-on-an-older/2c6226df-6b7b-4a3d-99d9-c608453d6b05
  3. How do I upgrade Windows7 to Windows10 on an older Dell laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I upgrade Windows7 to Windows10 on an older Dell laptop: How can i update to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on an older Dell Inspiron Laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-upgrade-windows7-to-windows10-on-an-older/2c6226df-6b7b-4a3d-99d9-c608453d6b05
  4. Pink tint on my new monitor, I just bought the computer, Dell 7010 older model windows 10...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pink tint on my new monitor, I just bought the computer, Dell 7010 older model windows 10...: Tried everything, YouTube no help.. May be cable.. VGA* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pink-tint-on-my-new-monitor-i-just-bought-the/d65cc9bb-2e4c-457e-a318-7f4fe6cd10bf
  5. Pink tint on my new monitor, I just bought the computer, Dell 7010 older model windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pink tint on my new monitor, I just bought the computer, Dell 7010 older model windows 10...: Tried everything, YouTube no help.. May be cable.. VGA* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pink-tint-on-my-new-monitor-i-just-bought-the/d65cc9bb-2e4c-457e-a318-7f4fe6cd10bf
  6. Pink tint on my new monitor, I just bought the computer, Dell 7010 older model windows 10...

7. An older Dell Inspiron 530 had trouble installing an update, of which led to complete...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An older Dell Inspiron 530 had trouble installing an update, of which led to complete...: This is an older Dell Inspiron 530. I have had this for 20 years and was actually my very 1st computer ever. OK, it is old but I still love it and hope I can fix it once again. It did have trouble when we installed windows 10 but I added the max memory and even got the max...
  8. An older Dell Inspiron 530 had trouble installing an update, of which led to complete...

An older Dell Inspiron 530 had trouble installing an update, of which led to complete...: This is an older Dell Inspiron 530. I have had this for 20 years and was actually my very 1st computer ever. OK, it is old but I still love it and hope I can fix it once again. It did have trouble when we installed windows 10 but I added the max memory and even got the max...
  9. An older Dell Inspiron 530 had trouble installing an update, of which led to complete...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Got an older computer running Windows 10, but Dell won't give approp. drivers

Got an older computer running Windows 10, but Dell won't give approp. drivers: I got an older, but still 64 bit computer from my mom. It's been updated and upgraded and was running Win 10 just fine before the hard drive died. She replaced the computer and gave the old one to me since I was in school for IT. I had the dead hard drive swapped out with a...