Windows 10: Windows 10 on secondary drive

Discus and support Windows 10 on secondary drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey guys, I want to format my pc but before I do, I have a question that I'm hoping to have answered. I currently have a single SSD and two HDDs, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wardarth, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Wardarth Win User

Windows 10 on secondary drive

Hey guys, I want to format my pc but before I do, I have a question that I'm hoping to have answered.

I currently have a single SSD and two HDDs, the SSD I'm using primarily for Windows. At the moment, the SSD is defaulted as the C:\ drive and this has the annoying problem where any files or programs I download automatically try to go there and take up space, requiring me to move them to one of the other drives. When formatting the computer, is it possible to assign one of my HDDs to C:\ and make the SSD a secondary drive such as E:\ or F:\ but keep Windows on it? And will doing so change the default location for anything I download or will everything still default to the C:\ drive?

:)

Wardarth, Dec 18, 2018
  2. Pavan_N Win User

apps not working on secondary drive

Hi Lomavista,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Which apps are you referring to?

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Step 1: Install all app updates from Windows Store.

Check for updates for apps and games from Windows Store

Step 2: I suggest you to download and run the app troubleshooter from the below link and check if it helps.

Run the Windows App Troubleshooter

Do let us know if you are able to use all apps from secondary drive. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Dec 18, 2018
  3. Quick search not working on secondary drives on windows 10

Hi Foxybite,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• What type of files you are trying to search in the search bar?

• What do you refer to when you say secondary drives? Is it the other partition on the hard drive/external hard drive like flash drives or etc.?
    Kindly follow the below steps and check if you are able to fix the issue.

Step 1:

You can run the Search and indexing troubleshooter
    in Windows 10 and check if it helps. Follow the below steps to run Search and indexing
    troubleshooter.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control Panel

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the
      Control Panel.

• Click on View all on the left navigation pane.

• Click on Search and indexing.

• Click on Advanced on the
      Search and indexing
      dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the
      Search and indexing troubleshooter.

Step 2:

Try to add your secondary drive in the indexing options.

• Type in the Indexing options in the start search box and click on
      Indexing options from the search bar results.

• Click on Modify on the Indexing options window. (Enter

• Check the secondary drive (which you need to fetch the results from the search box) and click on
      OK button. (If the secondary drive is not visible, click on
      Show all locations,
      enter the administrator credentials if prompted))

• Now, try to search and check if you are able to fetch the results.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Dec 18, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 on secondary drive - Similar Threads - secondary drive

2. Cannot delete folder on secondary drive - Have treid everything, Maybe there is a third...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete folder on secondary drive - Have treid everything, Maybe there is a third...: I got a new system and my old C drive became D.In the D drive, I cannot delete the old programs/windows etc folders i get the error mesage:I am the admin!I have done everythign possible including everything that is itierated...
  3. Cannot delete folder on secondary drive - Have treid everything, Maybe there is a third...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete folder on secondary drive - Have treid everything, Maybe there is a third...: I got a new system and my old C drive became D.In the D drive, I cannot delete the old programs/windows etc folders i get the error mesage:I am the admin!I have done everythign possible including everything that is itierated...
  4. Is there a way I can make my secondary storage a primary by not making it the boot drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way I can make my secondary storage a primary by not making it the boot drive?: Other than going to window settings clicking system then storage then "change where new content is saved" because even that doesnt help i need my secondary hard drive to be my primary storage hdd through file explorer not windows settings. Do I need to upgrade to windows 11?...
  5. Is there a way I can make my secondary storage a primary by not making it the boot drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way I can make my secondary storage a primary by not making it the boot drive?: Other than going to window settings clicking system then storage then "change where new content is saved" because even that doesnt help i need my secondary hard drive to be my primary storage hdd through file explorer not windows settings. Do I need to upgrade to windows 11?...
  6. Is there a way I can make my secondary storage a primary by not making it the boot drive?

7. Windows 11 not recognizing an older Win 10 HDD secondary drive. Any suggestions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not recognizing an older Win 10 HDD secondary drive. Any suggestions?: Good evening.Last month, I purchased a new desktop system Dell Inspiron 3910... though the box itself has Vostro stamped on it. Anyway, I wanted to upgrade a few things and so I cloned the SDD C: drive and swapped it out with no issue, and added another 16GB of RAM, again...
  8. Windows 11 not recognizing an older Win 10 HDD secondary drive. Any suggestions?

Windows 11 not recognizing an older Win 10 HDD secondary drive. Any suggestions?: Good evening.Last month, I purchased a new desktop system Dell Inspiron 3910... though the box itself has Vostro stamped on it. Anyway, I wanted to upgrade a few things and so I cloned the SDD C: drive and swapped it out with no issue, and added another 16GB of RAM, again...
  9. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive: Hey,I have an operating system on my C drive already and very limited space. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a secondary drive, I have the ISO file ready to go and a valid key, I just need to know what to do to get it to install on the secondary drive. How do I do this?...
  10. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive: Hey,I have an operating system on my C drive already and very limited space. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a secondary drive, I have the ISO file ready to go and a valid key, I just need to know what to do to get it to install on the secondary drive. How do I do this?...