Windows 10: Windows 10 - one PC - multi user, "local user profiles" lost access after update

Discus and support Windows 10 - one PC - multi user, "local user profiles" lost access after update in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am the admin on the shared workstation in our office (7 users) I had originally set up the system where I am the admin, (default) one other user as... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ivar Plavinskis, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Windows 10 - one PC - multi user, "local user profiles" lost access after update

I am the admin on the shared workstation in our office (7 users)

I had originally set up the system where I am the admin, (default) one other user as an admin (for back up purposes) all others as "local account".

I ran a "windows update" two weeks ago and all "local accounts" were no longer able to log in, their user name and password do not work.

I have backed up their profiles to an external hard drive while I mess around with trying to restore their profiles.

When I go to settings - other users, the only options are to "change the account type" or "remove" the account, I cannot change the name, nor can I force or change the password / pin.

I tried creating a "work account" (Asure AD) but once again I cannot create a password, therefore they are not able to log in.

I then thought that I would just make it a "common log in work station" for everyone with my admin account being separate, but although I am able to rename the account, the "user name" for log in remains as the original user for that admin account (along with the pin).

I think that the "user profile" for this account is not getting changed in the registry when I change the info in the settings page.

This is very frustrating,

Help with this issue would be greatly appreciated

I have considered doing a "system restore" to a date prior to the update but feel that the system will send the update and I will be right back to this point again.

[ Moved from: Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup ]

:)

Ivar Plavinskis, Aug 12, 2018

2. Unable to log-in to computer with error: "The User Profile Service failed login, User profile cannot be loaded" on Windows 10

Hi Ellen,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you with the user accounts on Windows 10.

Do let us know the type of user account this issue is confined with?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted user profile,
    User Profile Service or Group Policy Client service stopped working, or Antivirus software conflicts.

Method 1: I suggest you enter into safe mode and enable built-in administrator and check with the status of User profile service.

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings
    • Here select Change pc settings and then General.
    • Scroll down to Advanced startup, click Restart now.
    • Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.
    • Click Restart, select Safe mode and then press
      Enter.

Step 2: Enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
    • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open Command Prompt.
    • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
     4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Method 2: Check the status of User profile services.

Steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run command, type
      Services.msc and press Enter.
    • Search for User Profile Service, right click on it and
      start
      the service.
    • Also, set the Startup type to Automatic.
    • Now check if you are able to log-in.

if the issue still persists,

Method 3: From Built-in admin account, try to create a new user account (Local account) and check access the computer

You will have to create those local accounts on Windows 10 and provide the corresponding administrative privileges.

Refer to: Create a local user account in Windows 10

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 12, 2018
  3. Lost User profile after Windows 10 install

I have the same problem-

lost a profile when windows 10 installed.

That profile is listed in the user folder in windows.old.

What is the procedure to recover it?

John_W_Fraser, Aug 12, 2018
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Windows 10 - one PC - multi user, "local user profiles" lost access after update

'Lost' user profile after System File Cheker.

Hi,

This might happen if the profile was corrupted. We'd like to have some clarifications so we can provide a suitable solution to help you resolve the issue. Can you answer the questions below?

• Is it the local administrator account or the Microsoft account?
    • Are you logged in to your PC using the account that's missing in the laptop?
    • What account are you using to login to the laptop?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that youcreate a new local administrator
    account
    that you can use to login to your laptop, as it is possible that the profile was corrupted that's why it was removed when you run the SFC scan.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Anne Ros, Aug 12, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 - one PC - multi user, "local user profiles" lost access after update

1. Windows 10 - one PC - multi user, "local user profiles" lost access after update - Similar Threads - multi user local

2. User profile lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User profile lost: Hello, I have deleted my user profile by mistake and I was trying to get it back.I can see my profile in users folder in C driver with all its contents and I can see the SID for my user profile when I search for it in the Registry editor; however, it seems my windows can't...
  3. User profile lost

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User profile lost: Hello, I have deleted my user profile by mistake and I was trying to get it back.I can see my profile in users folder in C driver with all its contents and I can see the SID for my user profile when I search for it in the Registry editor; however, it seems my windows can't...
  4. User profile lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. lost windows user profile

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    lost windows user profile: Ill start with this, I had 2 accounts on my pc, 1 for normal use and the other i made for uploading videos to youtube. My computer was acting up, so i took it to a repair shop, they wiped it and reinstalled windows. All works well now, except i can not remember the email that...
  6. lost windows user profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lost windows user profile: Ill start with this, I had 2 accounts on my pc, 1 for normal use and the other i made for uploading videos to youtube. My computer was acting up, so i took it to a repair shop, they wiped it and reinstalled windows. All works well now, except i can not remember the email that...
  7. Multi PC replacement scenario -> user data and user profile migration

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Multi PC replacement scenario -> user data and user profile migration: We're planning to replace appr. 500 Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 PC's with new ones. The new PC's are delivered with Windows 10 and Office preinstalled and will be joined to our domain. Our goal is to transfer all their data, favorites, mail account settings etc,...
  8. Multi PC replacement scenario -> user data and user profile migration

in Windows 10 Support
    Multi PC replacement scenario -> user data and user profile migration: We're planning to replace appr. 500 Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 PC's with new ones. The new PC's are delivered with Windows 10 and Office preinstalled and will be joined to our domain. Our goal is to transfer all their data, favorites, mail account settings etc,...
  9. Multi PC replacement scenario - user data and user profile migration

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multi PC replacement scenario - user data and user profile migration: We're planning to replace appr 500 Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 PC's with new ones. The new PC's are delivered with Windows 10 and Office preinstalled and will be joined to our domain. Our goal is to transfer all their data, favorites, mail account settings etc,...
  10. Windows 10 - one PC - multi user, "local user profiles" lost access after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - one PC - multi user, "local user profiles" lost access after update: I am the admin on the shared workstation in our office (7 users) I had originally set up the system where I am the admin, (default) one other user as an admin (for back up purposes) all others as "local account". I ran a "windows update" two weeks ago and all "local...