Windows 10: Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed

Discus and support Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; hello, I have the same identical issue to this Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed, where the only difference is that i had my battery swapped.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Gabrio-81, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Gabrio-81 Win User

Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed

hello,

I have the same identical issue to this Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed, where the only difference is that i had my battery swapped. the problem never happened.

Additionally, safe mode goes to 1.80 ghz flat.

things i tried:

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]1. restart[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]2. revert all power plans to default, then only balanced was left,[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]3. created with command line high performance and power saver went OK[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]4. checked minimum processor state in high performance and put it to 100%[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]5. checked processes on task manager that have the flag Power Throttle and there's just system interrupts, nothing else[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]6. checked BIOS and everything looks ok to me, i dont see an option for power throttling[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]7. changed registry entry to 4 and was better at 1.80 ghz but looked "fake"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]8. haven't yet tried deleting intelppm.sys as somebody here suggested[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]could it be the battery not giving enough power for sustaining a higher CPU voltage or something? trying to think outside of the box![/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]There must be a bug or something going on, i think i found what the issue is but still working on a fix..[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]So with Intel extreme tuning utility i noticed that thermal throttling is active all the time, even tho i am just browsing with edge right now, ain't right. all CPU temps are fine around 45C only.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]As soon as you plug the AC, thermal throttling immediately disappears and it bumps up the CPU frequency.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]can't remember what else there's to do, quite annoying. of course great battery now but is sloowwwwwwwwwwwwwww[/COLOR]

Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed ba19cfe1-fe8c-41f3-aa9d-abb14b407fcb?upload=true.jpg

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]Laptop is ASUS VivoBook S15 S510UQ, upgraded with high performance 16 GB ram as well. Decent fast SSD.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]Win 10[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]20 H2 19042.789[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]can anyone help?[/COLOR]

:)

Gabrio-81, Feb 3, 2021
  2. Atrahasis Win User

Cpu running half speed

While playing a game few hours ago I noticed my computer suddenly became incredibly slow. The windows task manager showed that the cpu was using half its capabilities. I have been playing this game since 4 years, with this same 4 years-old laptop, and it had never happened before. I have to mention I installed windows 10 few days ago, which also changed my graphic card's drivers. I suppose it is a feature preventing CPU overheat. It may be a new feature, changed parameters that enables it sooner than before, or dust accumulating past 4 years that activates it sooner than before as @Bokan's answer suggest.

The problem is that this feature does not get disabled when I quit the game, making the computer unusable for several hours. When I first posted this question I had to wait about 8 hours before it came back.. by itself. The only other way to get this speed back is to restart windows in any safe mode, but that is not very satisfying. I have checked battery and power parameters, they are not changed and changing them does not restore the cpu speed. I have checked the graphic card's parameters, same.

What is this feature ? How to disable it or change its parameters ?

NOTE : I have an intel CPU that has the SpeedStep technology. But the normal speed is not back after reboot (as I read it does when SpeedStep reduces it), I do not see any option to enable/disable it in the BIOS, neither on the GPU desktop UI. Last time the normal speed was restored while the computer was active (see comments).

EDIT : I just completed the first reboot of the second time this problem appears, and this time it disappeared ! This is madness.

This question has also been asked on answers.microsoft.com :

You can admire how microsoft does not care about giving the **** name of this feature to its unanimous customers, not even mentionning speedstep or battery / power / cpu parameters.

Also on other website, mentionning speedstep :

Here on SuperUser but does not solve my issue :

On 'Answer Tech', live Microsoft's technicians all answer the same epic crap (they all prefer blaming the manufacturer, asking the customer to return his computer (!!!!) than answering that they do not know). This one was particularly good :

Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed iHb92.png

Atrahasis, Feb 3, 2021
  3. Cybot Win User

one thing I found out recently, is that win10 disables software based core parking by default. under windows 7 it was enabled on my laptop. when core parking is enabled, the cpu is able to reach it's max rated turbo boosted speed because the other cores
    are not being used. On my system 1 core gives 2.8ghz max speed, additional active cores give a lower turboboost ratio. I suspect this isn't an issue for those with the latest and greatest CPU's as the intel specification now calls for hardware based core parking.
    I managed to re-enable core parking using bitsums' park control software. the park control software is also built into bitsum's process lasso software.

Cybot, Feb 3, 2021
  4. pmheart6 Win User

CPU not running in full speed in Windows 10

Ok. This thread has the answer.

This time rather than do the registry entry 58, i tried the suggestion of throttestop. Downloaded it, and now im back up to the base speed. And i believe i can turn it off essier than the registry entry.

pmheart6, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed - Similar Threads - half max cpu

2. My Laptop CPU's clock speed is max but performance is low

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Laptop CPU's clock speed is max but performance is low: Hi,My Laptop is underperforming when I'm charging it. Whenever I plug in my laptop's charger, I notice a increase in the CPU clock speed which to me is normal since I want my laptop to perform better on charge however, Instead of performing better my laptop underperforms. FPS...
  3. Cpu not at max speed and capped.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu not at max speed and capped.: I have a intel i9 11900F and apparently it can go up to like 5GHz but when I bench it its capped at 4.7GHz. How do I also make it so it's always max speed? Sometimes when I'm using it it's only 2.8-3.5GHz...
  4. Cpu not at max speed and capped.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cpu not at max speed and capped.: I have a intel i9 11900F and apparently it can go up to like 5GHz but when I bench it its capped at 4.7GHz. How do I also make it so it's always max speed? Sometimes when I'm using it it's only 2.8-3.5GHz...
  5. MAX CLOCK SPEED MY CPU SUPPORTS ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MAX CLOCK SPEED MY CPU SUPPORTS ?: what is the max clock speed my processor supports CPU ?? my pc specs IntelR CoreTM i5 CPU M 580 @ 2.67GHz Base speed: 2.67 GHz Sockets: 1 Cores: 2 Logical processors: 4 Virtualization: Enabled L1 cache: 128 KB L2 cache: 512 KB L3 cache: 3.0 MB Memory 4.0 GB DDR3 Speed: 1067...
  6. Windows 10 only using half the installed RAM

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 only using half the installed RAM: Device nameDESKTOP-AJD2UQS ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor 4.10 GHz Installed RAM64.0 GB (31.9 GB usable) Device ID Product ID System type64-bit operating system, x64-based processor EditionWindows 10 Pro Version20H2 Installed on‎2021-‎03-‎15 OS...
  7. Windows 10 only using half the installed RAM

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 only using half the installed RAM: Device nameDESKTOP-AJD2UQS ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor 4.10 GHz Installed RAM64.0 GB (31.9 GB usable) Device ID Product ID System type64-bit operating system, x64-based processor EditionWindows 10 Pro Version20H2 Installed on‎2021-‎03-‎15 OS...
  8. Use only half of display??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use only half of display??: If I have a 65 inch TV, is it possible to utilize only 32 inches or so of that display and the rest black? Like basically using 50% of the total screen area as a monitor? submitted by /u/Nismo_370z [link] [comments]...
  9. cpu stuck at half speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cpu stuck at half speed: Hi everyone. This problem has been around for a while. I currently have a MSI gaming laptop, with the Intel processor i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz. My problem is that it is constantly locked at half speed, namely 1.4GHz, even during the xtu stress test when I have 100% CPU utilization....
  10. qBittorrent downloading only at half speed!?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    qBittorrent downloading only at half speed!?: Hy, I dealing with this problem for few months now, and it drives me crazy *Banghead Tried everything, different settings for qbittorrent I find on other forums so far... no luck. Downloading with browser works great, downloading at maximum speed 4-5 MB/s. But with...