Windows 10: Windows 10 opening Control Panel closes File Explorer

Discus and support Windows 10 opening Control Panel closes File Explorer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On my Surface Pro 4, if I have File Explorer open and then open Control Panel via a search from the Start menu, File Explorer will close and Control... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dvongrad, May 13, 2021.

1. dvongrad Win User

Windows 10 opening Control Panel closes File Explorer

On my Surface Pro 4, if I have File Explorer open and then open Control Panel via a search from the Start menu, File Explorer will close and Control Panel will open at the same location and windows size as the File Explorer which was closed. If I open Control Panel first, opening File Explorer will show both windows, but if I open Control Panel again, the open File Explorer will close and I’ll now have 2 instances of Control Panel. This was also happening on my desktop until I reset Windows 10, keeping documents. I suspect the same will happen on the Surface Pro but I shouldn’t have to do

:)

dvongrad, May 13, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 13, 2021
  3. windows 10 control panel

Step 2 does not work at all. Anything from File Explorer and above does not launch at all.

DeviantWolf, May 13, 2021
  4. Windows 10 opening Control Panel closes File Explorer

windows 10 control panel

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you want to know how to access the control panel in Windows 10?

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I would suggest you to try the following steps to open the Control Panel in the system.

Step 1: Opening Control Panel in Windows 10.

• Open Run command box by simultaneously pressing Windows and R keys (Windows + R).

• In the Run dialog box, type
      Control
      and then press Enter key to open the classic Control Panel.
    Step 2: Access Control Panel in Windows 10 from desktop.

• Right-click on the Start button (Windows logo button at the bottom-left corner of the desktop) and then click Control Panel to open the same.
    Step 3: Launch Control Panel using search.

• Open Start menu or screen.

• In the search box, enter Control Panel and then press Enter key to open the same.
    Note: You can quickly access the search with the help of Windows + C hotkey.

Step 4: Create Control Panel shortcut on desktop.

• Right-click on desktop, click New, and then click Shortcut.
    • In Type the location of the item box, type the following path.
    explorer shell:ControlPanelFolder

• Click Next button.
    • In the Type a name for this shortcut box, type Control Panel, and click Finish button. You can now double-click on the Control Panel icon on the desktop to quickly launch the same.
    Step 5: Pin Control Panel to Start or taskbar.

• In the Start search box, type Control Panel.

• When you see search results, right-click on Control Panel entry and then click Pin to Start to pin it to the Start menu or screen.
    Note: Clicking Pin to taskbar will pin the Control Panel to taskbar.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, May 13, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 opening Control Panel closes File Explorer

1. Windows 10 opening Control Panel closes File Explorer - Similar Threads - opening Control Panel

2. CLOSE Windows File Explorer Right Side Panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CLOSE Windows File Explorer Right Side Panel: How to CLOSE Right side panel in File Explorer? On 4/2020 SusieBartz asked this question, however Paulo GM's response to Click View > Click Details is incorrect.MSFT sent an update Now, it changed my File Explorer by adding this panel and following Paulo's response does...
  3. Control Panel Opens and Closes Itself Immediately in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Control Panel Opens and Closes Itself Immediately in Windows 10: I have had a problem for the last 2 weeks. All of a sudden, Control Panel stopped working. When I click the icon, it opens and closes itself immediately in about a tenth of a second. I've done a fairly extensive search and tried suggested solutions below: Run SFC no errors...
  4. Control Panel closes when opening printing perferences.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Control Panel closes when opening printing perferences.: I have an issue on multiple devices where if I go to Control Panel > Devices & Printers, right click on a printer and select Printing Preferences it will not respond for a second or two and then the Control Panel and all other associated windows will just close. The...
  5. Windows 10 - File Explorer file opening and closing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - File Explorer file opening and closing: When I open a file in File Explorer and then close it, after the close File Explorer does not return to File Explorer, but to some other app I have open. How can I set this to return to FE upon file close....
  6. Can't open file explorer, control panel, and task manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open file explorer, control panel, and task manager: When I go to open file explorer, nothing happens. When I go to open control panel, the window appears but no icons show up. When I go to open Task Manager, I get the error 'C:\windows\system32\DUI70.dll'. I looked up how to resolve this issue, and it says to do a sfc...
  7. Cant open control panel / explorer refreshes

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant open control panel / explorer refreshes: Not sure when this issue arrised but i tried to adjust my sound devices today going to start>control panel and the screen blinks while explorer refreshes...? I did an SFC /SCANNOW and it found some corruption and repaired it. I rebooted and same problem. Did a virus...
  8. Windows 10 can't open File Explorer or Control Panel

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 can't open File Explorer or Control Panel: Hi, I need help. About a week ago Windows 10 started working in an abnormal manner on my PC: I wasn't able to open File Explorer or Control Panel, whether from the start menu or from basically any application that calls for those (file explorer or control panel). I tried...
  9. Open Control Panel in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Control Panel in Windows 10: How to: Open Control Panel in Windows 10 How to Open the Control Panel in Windows 10 You can use Control Panel to change settings for Windows. These settings control nearly everything about how Windows looks and works, and you can use them to set up Windows so that it's...
  10. cant open file explorer, control panel...

in Windows 10 Support
    cant open file explorer, control panel...: Weird issue with Acer CB280HK 4k Monitor So, I was lucky enough to get a new monitor and new pc the other day; a dell xps 8700, and for purposes of this discussion, the video card set up is a intel hd graphics 4600 board, and a Nvidia GTX745, with 4 gigs of ram. The...