Windows 10: Windows 10 Optimize Drives -- Free space consolidation

Discus and support Windows 10 Optimize Drives -- Free space consolidation in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I know what it actually does, can i disable this process and left "defragmentation" only? Because free space consolidation cause a long time and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ho Ming Cheng, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Optimize Drives -- Free space consolidation

I know what it actually does, can i disable this process and left "defragmentation" only?

Because free space consolidation cause a long time and doesn't seems to reduce possibility of file fragments from creating.

I am just asking for any possible methods like registry or something else to disable the consolidation, thanks for answering!

I am using Windows 10 1909.

:)

Ho Ming Cheng, Jan 5, 2021

2. Disk optimization scheduling in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• In search select Defragment and optimize drives

• Click on change settings

• In optimization schedule

• In frequency select the options accordingly.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

`

Divya Murugan, Jan 5, 2021
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Windows 10 Optimize drive question

Hello,

I would recommend you to run check disk (chkdsk). To do so, follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Open an administrative Command Prompt window.
    • At the command prompt, type the following command.
    Chkdsk volume: /f /r

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be
    lost.

You may also follow these articles for more help:

Optimize your hard drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/optimize-hard-drive#1TC=t1

Improve performance by optimizing your hard drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

(Note: All links applies to windows 10 also)

Hope this helps.

Arul_D, Jan 5, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Optimize Drives -- Free space consolidation

Optime Drive - Doesn't Recognize External Hard Drive

When I Select "Defragment and Optimize Drives" my external USB 3.0 hard drive is not among the drives listed that can be analyzed or optimized. The reply to another similar post suggested reading and following the recommendations in a separate
    article "Optimize Windows for better performance" which I did but found no useful information there. Any other suggestions
    or alternatives?

RonKockler, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Optimize Drives -- Free space consolidation

1. Windows 10 Optimize Drives -- Free space consolidation - Similar Threads - Optimize Drives Free

2. Free up drive space in Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Free up drive space in Windows: My computer gave me stopcode error messages, so I went to Windows Recovery and used Startup Repair and Chkdsk commands. The computer performed many Chkdsk functions automatically. I did a clean install. Windows Update could not download both The KB5005033 and KB5005110. I...
  3. Freeing space on C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freeing space on C drive: Version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1110 I am trying to free up space on my C drive which is a 500Gb SSD. I install all programs to my 2Tb HD. Windirstat tells me Tom Tom the sat nav takes up 153 Gb on my C drive. So I want to uninstall it. Windows said it was uninstalling it from...
  4. Freeing space in the backup drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Freeing space in the backup drive: I have created a backup when I did a reformat last year using youtube tutorials. I have no idea what I was doing but I somehow ended up successful and it now works fine. Please take note that I do not have a background in software troubleshooting of this sort. The problem is...
  5. Freeing up space on C Drive Windows 10

Freeing up space on C Drive Windows 10: I have tried Ccleaner. File scan. Storage Sense. Malware scan. Virus scan. Optimize c Drive. None of it worked all that well. I don't want to partition, etc. I am afraid I will mess it up. There was a simple solution I saw a while ago, but I can't seem to find in...
  6. Free up drive space

Free up drive space: I'm in settings trying to remove disk space to Free up drive space and it has been over an hour and still is not done. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-drive-space/6444bfde-0eb1-4c41-a966-7bf7ca496634"
  7. Freeing Space in this Small Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freeing Space in this Small Drive: Hi! I've got 1.45GB free of 28.6GB in my computer. How do I free up space (like 6GB more) so I can install a program? I tried to find programs that take up additional spaces but I couldn't find any. Is Windows 10 occupying most of the 28.6GB of this computer? What can I do...
  8. Freeing Space in this Small Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeing Space in this Small Drive: Hi! I've got 1.45GB free of 28.6GB in my computer. How do I free up space (like 6GB more) so I can install a program? I tried to find programs that take up additional spaces but I couldn't find any. Is Windows 10 occupying most of the 28.6GB of this computer? What can I do...
  9. New SSD optimization and leaving free space at end

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New SSD optimization and leaving free space at end: I just installed a new 1000GB ssd in my laptop (only drive) and it's working great. I am guessing this is where I should ask questions about optimization. Based on what I read on the web I have Disabled indexing on all drives disabled hibernate (powercfg -h off) checked that...
  10. Free Up Drive Space in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Free Up Drive Space in Windows 10: How to: Free Up Drive Space in Windows 10 How to Free Up Drive Space in Windows 10 If your Windows 10 PC is running low on storage, here are a few ways to free up some drive space. You can pick and choose from within the options below that best fits your needs....