Windows 10: Windows 10 OS reading steam games as being larger than they actually are

Discus and support Windows 10 OS reading steam games as being larger than they actually are in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have no idea why this is happening, but Steam's installed games are causing my Desktop to think it has less space than it actually does. All games... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Korvas, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Korvas Win User

Windows 10 OS reading steam games as being larger than they actually are

I have no idea why this is happening, but Steam's installed games are causing my Desktop to think it has less space than it actually does. All games installed by it, regardless of their size, are registering on my desktop as being 11.2 GB in size. To illustrate how bad it is, Geneforge is a game released in the early 2000's and has a size of about 50MB when installed with the original installation files. But installed through steam, it magically has a size of 11.2 GB.

Could someone please help me figure this out?

:)

Korvas, Nov 3, 2019

2. Windows 10 Steam game crashes

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• Does the issue occur only with Steam games or all games?
    • Are you able to view videos?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you to update the Graphic Card driver by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update the driver.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 3, 2019
  3. Steam games won't launch on Windows 10?

Hi Oaasfari,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Which are all the Steam games you are unable to launch?
    • Do you get any error message/code when you try to launch the game?
    If the Steam games are not working in Windows 10 then, I would suggest you to contact the Games manufacturer for further assistance and check if the Game is compatible with Windows 10.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Reply with necessary information and we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Nov 3, 2019
  4. Windows 10 OS reading steam games as being larger than they actually are

System restarts while accessing games from Steam on Windows 10

Hi Alex,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the games using Steam on Windows 10. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates and driver updates on your device?
    • Have you checked with the game compatibility and system requirements to access the games?

Try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

I suggest to check with the system requirements to play the game.

Step 1: As you have already installed Steam in compatibility on Windows 10, I suggest to install the games in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Download the updated gaming software from the manufacturer's website.
    • Right click the gaming software
      installation file and select Properties then tap or click the
      Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click
      OK.
    • Try installing the game and check.

Step 2: Update Graphics Driver.

Download the latest drivers from manufacturer's website, try to install them manually and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right click on the Display Adapter and click on
      Update driver software.
    • Click on Browse my computer for driver software and click on
      Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
    • Follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 OS reading steam games as being larger than they actually are

1. Windows 10 OS reading steam games as being larger than they actually are - Similar Threads - reading steam games

2. Having problems with DirectX and steam games not actually running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having problems with DirectX and steam games not actually running: Hello,So I like to play games from steam but as recently as three months ago, I finished my first year at college but I decided not to take my computer for the year, so I didn't really have the opportunity to keep up with updates. My system specs are as follows:CPU: Ryzen 5...
  3. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  4. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  5. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

6. Disk size in sub-folder larger than the actual disk capacity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk size in sub-folder larger than the actual disk capacity: I would like to request for some assistance in regards to a file sizing issue I have experienced. I randomly checked through my folders and discovered one of them showing weird size properties. It is a sub-folder within the HDD partition and it is showing sizes way larger...
  7. Disk size in sub-folder larger than the actual disk capacity

Disk size in sub-folder larger than the actual disk capacity: I would like to request for some assistance in regards to a file sizing issue I have experienced. I randomly checked through my folders and discovered one of them showing weird size properties. It is a sub-folder within the HDD partition and it is showing sizes way larger...
  8. Disk size in sub-folder larger than the actual disk capacity

9. Size on disk much larger than actual size - how to fix ?

Size on disk much larger than actual size - how to fix ?: My folders of photos are showing properties of a much larger size than is physically possible on my laptop, this is not showing up as an issue on the laptop, but I can't back them up effectively as have already used up a 2TB drive for a small portion of them ! I've seen some...
  10. Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is: I have a 3 TB WD Red, which I have had for around 2 years and it has been working fine, though in these last few weeks I have been experiencing weird issues with my torrent client that downloads to this hard drive. Originally I reinstalled my torrent client but that didn't...