Windows 10: Windows 10 Parental Controls don't block microsoft.com on Edge

Discus and support Windows 10 Parental Controls don't block microsoft.com on Edge in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I whitelisted all the sites my child needs for school and microsoft.com is not one of them. Every other site is blocked. I blocked the Microsoft Store... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by testing3434, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Parental Controls don't block microsoft.com on Edge

I whitelisted all the sites my child needs for school and microsoft.com is not one of them. Every other site is blocked. I blocked the Microsoft Store app and associated website and that works. But my child can still access microsoft.com through Edge. From there it's very easy to install Roblox and other garbage.

Is this the way Windows Parental controls is designed to work? Always allowing access to their own site microsoft.com? If so, that's really too bad. My only solution was to install a 3rd party parental control program called Qustodio and that blocked microsoft.com.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

:)

testing3434, Oct 28, 2020

2. Windows 10 Parental Controls not working properly

I recently installed Windows 10 and set up a Microsoft account for my son, with parental controls. This works only partly, however: sites that I have asked to be blocked are indeed blocked on Edge, and I did receive a request from my son to access one of
    them. BUT:

1. I get NO Recent Activity reporting. When I access my Microsoft Account and check my son's activity in Family, it shows nothing, even though he has been accessing several websites and has been using several apps.

2. He can get around blocked sites by using Internet Explorer - even though Parental Controls state that sites are blocked on both Edge and Explorer.

Any suggestions on how to fix these two issues?

Many thanks

Constantine P, Oct 28, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Microsoft is developing a built-in ad blocker for its Edge browser

"One of the first browser add-ons many people install to improve their online experience is Adblock Plus or something similar. Until recently, Microsoft Edge's lack of support for add-ons put off a lot of would-be users, but reports from Build 2016 suggest that native ad blocking is on its way to the Internet Explorer successor.

Adblock Plus is coming to Edge, but built-in ad blocking would negate the need for such an add-on. A slide shown off and snapped at a Build presentation shows that the next version of Edge, in response to user feedback, will feature ad blocking capabilities. There's no word on delivery timescale, but the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update would seem a likely candidate.

ZDNet's Ed Bott photographed the slide which shows Microsoft's development roadmap built around feedback from testers. Right at the top of the list is reference to plans to create a plugin and extension store for Edge, but it's entry number four that's more intriguing.

"Build ad blocking features into the browser" is listed as a Feature Request from users. But the good news is that it is not only listed as being "Deliverable 4682811", but as "Targeted for the next version".

This will no doubt come as good news for those who have fallen in love with Edge, but it's not something that will be welcomed by the likes of Adblock Plus. It does seem that, particularly in the mobile arena, there is a move to baking ad blocking into the browser so it makes sense that Microsoft is following the trend. But it is the fact that Edge straddles Windows 10 on the desktop and Windows 10 Mobile that makes this a particularly interesting move.

Keep an eye out for Insider builds in the coming weeks as the feature may be just around the corner.
    "

Forget extensions, built-in ad blocking is coming to Microsoft Edge - [UPDATE... no it's not!]

P4-630, Oct 28, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

Windows 10 Parental Controls don't block microsoft.com on Edge

Parental Controls aren't working

Hi,

The issue could be because of corrupted files. I suggest you to delete the corrupted files yourself and see if it helps

to resolve the issue, please follow these steps:

1) Make sure your children are signed out of any monitored accounts.

2) Sign in with an administrator account and find the folder that contains the corrupted files.

There are two ways to do this. The easiest way is to enter the complete file path:

• On the Start screen, type C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls and press Enter.

• If you’d rather open each folder individually, follow these steps:
    a. Go to This PC

b. Open C:, open the
    ProgramData folder, open the Microsoft folder, open the
    Windows folder, and open the Parental Controls folder.

3) Delete all contents of the Parental Controls folder.

This will delete any corrupt files. Your settings will be downloaded again from familysafety.microsoft.com the next time you sign in.

Hope it helps. Reply with the result and I'll be happy to help you further. Thank you

Arul_D, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Parental Controls don't block microsoft.com on Edge

1. Windows 10 Parental Controls don't block microsoft.com on Edge - Similar Threads - Parental Controls don't

2. Microsoft Store - Parental Controls - Block Install of Any Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store - Parental Controls - Block Install of Any Apps: Setting up parental controls for a child's account. Works as intended, but there are multiple apps e.g. web browsers that can still be downloaded that when installed and used aren't blocked by either the Microsoft family protection or by a third party parental controls...
  3. Microsoft Store - Parental Controls - Block Install of Any Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store - Parental Controls - Block Install of Any Apps: Setting up parental controls for a child's account. Works as intended, but there are multiple apps e.g. web browsers that can still be downloaded that when installed and used aren't blocked by either the Microsoft family protection or by a third party parental controls...
  4. Parental control on Mycrosoft Edge

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Parental control on Mycrosoft Edge: How do I remove the parental restrictions on my Mycrosoft Edge ? I'm an adult already, i removed myself from the family group, but whenever i open the profile section on the settings in my Microsoft Edge it tells me that the device is used by the family group, and whenever i...
  5. Windows 10 parental control

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 parental control: So I was trying to limit the time I spend on some applications I use on windows 10 but the thing is all the articles I've read refer to parental control where you have to create a child account and set limit to it, is there a way around that for adults, some kind of option...
  6. Microsoft parental controls

Microsoft parental controls: Hello all! i just made a parental confrol account, ive logged onto the childs account and accepted the invite myself. I set up the app settings and internet settings. Now my child has to log onto their computer. Do they have to log into the settings part to actually...
  7. Windows 10 Parental Controls Don't Work With Microsoft Edge Incognito Mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Parental Controls Don't Work With Microsoft Edge Incognito Mode: Hi All, I am having difficulty with parental controls in Windows. Specifically, even though I have forbid the children's account from accessing any websites on Microsoft edge and have blocked inappropriate websites, they can easily bypass this by opening up Edge's...
  8. parental controls app blocking not working on windows 10

parental controls app blocking not working on windows 10: The ability to block apps under Family Settings > App & Game limits is not working properly on Windows 10. I have configured my son's account to totally block Roblox as well as the Microsoft Store app. Both show up as blocked on the "App and Game limits" web page even...
  9. microsoft parental control cannot block apps like Skype and Microsoft store

microsoft parental control cannot block apps like Skype and Microsoft store: I recently created a MS child account and I've setup blocks for apps and websites. The blocks to websites work perfectly fine however, I realized that the blocks for apps are not really working...eg Skype and Microsoft store. I suspect my child was able to "work around" the...
  10. FH-4 feature is blocked because of parental control. Parental control is disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FH-4 feature is blocked because of parental control. Parental control is disabled: i have removed parental control can acces every online feature except multiplayer anyone know why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fh-4-feature-is-blocked-because-of-parental/24cfc45a-a0bf-4d5f-96d3-ffb2471be0de