Windows 10: Windows 10 (partial) crash

Discus and support Windows 10 (partial) crash in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Having started my computer, just upgraded to w10, the desktop appeared, without the apps eg MS edge showing in the lower taskbar. On pressing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jampit, Nov 30, 2015.

1. jampit Win User

Windows 10 (partial) crash

Having started my computer, just upgraded to w10, the desktop appeared, without the apps eg MS edge showing in the lower taskbar. On pressing the windows button (bottom left) nothing appeared! I was unable to shutdown, sleep, restart, get settings etc. The only way to power off was to use the physical power button, but on switching on again the same position was reached. While I was able to see some shortcuts on the desktop, a number gave "file system errors (-2018375670)" . I was able to access the program file folder and get Internet Explorer working (as now) but when I closed it, it did not appear at the bottom - same problem??
    Any ides on how to get round this.
    Computer is an Acer V5-571, Intel i3 , 1.5 GHz, 8G RAM.
    The machine had been working OK earlier!!
    Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I am having difficulty getting anywhere.*Sad

:)

jampit, Nov 30, 2015
  2. TomOpiela Win User

Partially Crashed Win10?

The functioning of the W10 Icon has quit working?

Now I get a Win 7 Control Panel only when I right click mouse.

Can I get a Reinstall to cure this issue?

Tom

TomOpiela, Nov 30, 2015
  3. Windows 10 scaling display causing explorer crashes

Let me be more specific. On 2/16/17 Windows 10 updated with an Nvida video driver update. (Video card G-Force 740) Immediately had erratic crash problems. Screen went blank and computer crashed. Problem related to windows scaling and certainly involves
    update. Turned off scaling. Problem partially resolved. Still get occasional blank screen but computer doesn't crash and eventually recovers without reboot. Updates are to improve performance? If so you folks have big problems.

NancyEuclid, Nov 30, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Are you able to get to the command prompt and run system file checker?

Right-click the Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”. Type the following command into the Command Prompt window and press Enter to run a full system scan: sfc /scannow

philc43, Nov 30, 2015
  5. jampit Win User
    I can't get Command Prompt- No Start button- no buttons at the side either so no search etc. It is not behaving properly at all! (This is being accessed on a different machine)

jampit, Nov 30, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    I am not sure system file check will solve your problems.
    My personal opinion only. I think you should run the Reset this PC option.
    However, I'll show you both ways and you can decide which way to go...........................

Reset this PC:
    Restart your computer > do NOT sign in.
    At bottom right, there are 3 icons, the one on the extreme right is the Power icon > left click at it will show you Restart option.
    Press Shift key and hold > click Restart > click Troubleshoot > click Reset this PC

Command Prompt :
    Same steps as above > after Troubleshoot, click Advanced options > Command Prompt

davidhk, Nov 30, 2015
  7. jampit Win User
    After a difficult time trying to find out how to shut down, I managed to get things going- only problem is (as I watch it resetting) is:- which OS will it go back to? It had been upgraded from 8.1 to 10! The difficulty I had was that there were no programs etc appearing on the list- no shutdown button etc, so I has to find out how to get into the control panel and change the power settings when the power button was pressed- from Hibernate- to Shut Down! (No hibernate in W10?) I have just realised I should have tried a system restore first- if I was able to find it! Will let you know what happens - if I can!! I'm using a older machine in safe mode as it has been crashed by an upgrade!! About to restart it. Bye for now!

jampit, Nov 30, 2015
  8. davidhk Win User

The Reset option I gave you is to reset to Windows 10 back to when it was first installed, not to your previous operating system.

Re: system restore
    You can also find it in the 2nd instructions I gave you. Same place where you'll find the Command Prompt.

davidhk, Nov 30, 2015
  9. jampit Win User
    Alas - as I wrote earlier, the reset was under way. All my own programs have been wiped- not even put into the "Windows.old folder"
    The data seems OK.
    As I had indicated there was no easy way to find anything- the search had disappeared as well as everything else .
    Can I go to a previous restore point now ?? Hmmm?

jampit, Nov 30, 2015
  10. jampit Win User
    Windows makes it difficult to see emails in their old format. I had to restart Gmail from Google.com to get back here!
    Where is the link to the control panel- very difficult to find in W10 so far!
    I need to reset the power settings to prevent a shut-down when closing the lid again - it did the job originally but isn't what I want now! :-(

jampit, Nov 30, 2015
  11. philc43 Win User
    Both these settings can be found by right clicking on the windows start button.

philc43, Nov 30, 2015
  12. jampit Win User
    Got that- now the start button is working again. Pity about the programs!

jampit, Nov 30, 2015
  13. jampit Win User

And thanks or the help! Lots to download must get busy! lol

jampit, Nov 30, 2015
  14. davidhk Win User
    Good. Reset option brought you back to a working Windows 10.
    Yes, the downside is to reinstall all the apps you had before. A price to pay, I suppose.

My last suggestions :
    1. Have the habit of manually creating restore point whenever your computer appears to be running fine. About once a week, and before/after Windows updates are installed.
    2. Periodically create a system image backup to an external hard drive. This will save you from doing what you had done today. If you had an image backup saved to the external hard drive, you would be able to use it to restore your system WITHOUT reinstalling Windows 10 and reinstalling all your programs.

davidhk, Nov 30, 2015
  15. jampit Win User
    Yes now got a backup dvd. The trouble is that Microsoft upgraded this at the weekend (I clicked on the wrong button) so I was surprised to have a problem SO fast! That's Life- That's Microsoft!*Smile
    The initial upgrade did keep the old programs - spread out between the main program file folder and the Windows.old folder, I was surprised some were not in the 'new' windows.old folder.

jampit, Nov 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 (partial) crash - Similar Threads - partial crash

2. Partially Installed Python End Task Now Not Installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partially Installed Python End Task Now Not Installing: I'm running Windows 11. I started downloading Python on my computer but realized I forgot to click the button Add puthon.exe to PATH so I cancelled out of the partially installation by pulling up the task manager and ending the task. Now when I try to re-install python it...
  3. Partially Installed Python End Task Now Not Installing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partially Installed Python End Task Now Not Installing: I'm running Windows 11. I started downloading Python on my computer but realized I forgot to click the button Add puthon.exe to PATH so I cancelled out of the partially installation by pulling up the task manager and ending the task. Now when I try to re-install python it...
  4. Windows 11: changing language works only partially

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: changing language works only partially: Hello,I have Windows 11 installed on this laptop, which I purchased in Italy.Previously, I had Windows 7 on a desktop computer, and changing the language was very easy and natural. The entire system was in English, and I had three keyboard settings English, German, Italian....
  5. Windows 11: changing language works only partially

Windows 11: changing language works only partially: Hello,I have Windows 11 installed on this laptop, which I purchased in Italy.Previously, I had Windows 7 on a desktop computer, and changing the language was very easy and natural. The entire system was in English, and I had three keyboard settings English, German, Italian....
  6. Win Key not working partially working while the hardware works fine, how to solve?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win Key not working partially working while the hardware works fine, how to solve?: My win key is not working or partially working, more precisely.When I press Win key alone, the start menu doesn't show up; however, when I press Win + G, which is the shortcut for Xbox game bar, it works; when I press Win + L, which is the shortcut for Lock the screen, it...
  7. Win Key not working partially working while the hardware works fine, how to solve?

Win Key not working partially working while the hardware works fine, how to solve?: My win key is not working or partially working, more precisely.When I press Win key alone, the start menu doesn't show up; however, when I press Win + G, which is the shortcut for Xbox game bar, it works; when I press Win + L, which is the shortcut for Lock the screen, it...
  8. No internet (partial) after GPU crash

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No internet (partial) after GPU crash: Hello, I got a problem with my pc and hopefully someone can help me. My problem happened twice. My gpu crashed randomly and then I got only a black screen and I pressed the reset button but after the restart I have an internet connection and not. Yeah thats weird but all...
  9. Partial crash requires hard reboot to fix - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Partial crash requires hard reboot to fix - Windows 10: Hi, For the last couple of weeks I have been having a particular issue. The issue is difficult to describe, and so searching online does not yield relevant results. Several times a day quite often around the same time of day my PC partially locks up. The symptoms are: *...
  10. External HDD cases not working and partially crashing Windows External HDDs work fine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD cases not working and partially crashing Windows External HDDs work fine: I bought an external USB 3.0 HDD case adata ex500 for an HDD I had lying around, and it was working correctly, however, one day I was going to transfer some files from another external HDD case that I had to my said new HDD and case, so I pluggied in both of them one being...