Windows 10: Windows 10 Partition Confusion

Discus and support Windows 10 Partition Confusion in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. Recently I installed a new SSD, onto which I cloned my Windows 10 OS and files as it was on the original HDD that came with my laptop. As far... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Boundless84, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Partition Confusion

Hi all.

Recently I installed a new SSD, onto which I cloned my Windows 10 OS and files as it was on the original HDD that came with my laptop. As far as I can observe, the cloning process worked properly, as I write this from the Windows booted off the new SSD.

However when I looked at the disk management, I am confused by what I see. Disk 0 is the new SSD. Disk 1 is my old HDD. Originally before installing and cloning the new SSD, my laptop HDD was partitioned this way:

Windows (CWindows 10 Partition Confusion :) - 450GB
    RECOVERY (DWindows 10 Partition Confusion :) - 28.9GB
    Sean (FWindows 10 Partition Confusion :) - 399GB
    Other (XWindows 10 Partition Confusion :) - 50.2GB

Now when I look at Disk Management, this is what I see:

Windows 10 Partition Confusion [​IMG]

On Disk 0 (which was identical to what Disk 1 shows above), I chose to "Delete Volume" for both Sean (HWindows 10 Partition Confusion :) and Other (IWindows 10 Partition Confusion :), which accounts for the 450.22GB unallocated on Disk 0, as I want to extend the C Drive on Disk 0. However as you can see, it shows 958 MB NTFS partition. I cannot assign this a Drive letter, and so I don't know what this partition is.

How can I determine is this is safe to delete? Without deleting this, I cannot extend the C Drive. Any advice or input is appreciated! Thank you.

UPDATE: Using a command prompt I was able to assign it a Drive letter. When I view the properties of that partition, it shows that 601MB of 957MB is used - but browsing the folder in Windows Explorer shows an empty folder. The "Show hidden files, folder, and drives" folder view option is selected.

:)

Boundless84, Feb 6, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 6, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 6, 2020
  4. Scrizz Win User

Windows 10 Partition Confusion

Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Partition Confusion

1. Windows 10 Partition Confusion - Similar Threads - Partition Confusion

2. need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,: My C drive is nearly full. My data D drive has lots of space. Seagate is external drive. I want to increase C drive space. I used Easus partition master but its one click step says "‘your disk {Disk 0} is almost full, so adjustment operation cannot be executed".I attach my...
  3. need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,: My C drive is nearly full. My data D drive has lots of space. Seagate is external drive. I want to increase C drive space. I used Easus partition master but its one click step says "‘your disk {Disk 0} is almost full, so adjustment operation cannot be executed".I attach my...
  4. need to increase c drive space. EASUS partition master says I cannot. Confusing.,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I'm very confused on why there are so many partitions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm very confused on why there are so many partitions: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/NinFanBoi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jne0rf/im_very_confused_on_why_there_are_so_many/
  6. How to do partition of disk in new system on windows 10 getting confused

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to do partition of disk in new system on windows 10 getting confused: I got new laptop and want to have partition from C drive, did from help videos from disk management and now its not showing partition or have done a smaller, really confused in doing this process and need help from first step. please help thanks....
  7. Confusing partition after upgrade from Win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confusing partition after upgrade from Win 7 to win 10: hi.. I Need advice about the partition after i upgrade from win 7 to win 10. i have some issue : 1. there is a disk "System ReservedH" in my drives list, i cant delete it because it used for boot the pc. I search info that i can hide it with remove the drive letter. is it...
  8. Windows 10 Partition Confusion

Windows 10 Partition Confusion: Hi all. Recently I installed a new SSD, onto which I cloned my Windows 10 OS and files as it was on the original HDD that came with my laptop. As far as I can observe, the cloning process worked properly, as I write this from the Windows booted off the new SSD. However when...
  9. i confused with my bios mode, it's said uefi but have legacy partition

in Windows 10 Support
    i confused with my bios mode, it's said uefi but have legacy partition: [img] so as can you see in the picture it said uefi bios mode but when i checked to disk management it have a legacy partition. it is even possible? and how i could change the partition to uefi partition? for information i instaled windows 10 on disk 1 if that helps thanks...
  10. Confusing partitions on HDD

Confusing partitions on HDD: I have 2 HP laptops running Windows 10. The nice thing about having two is the ability to compare them when something looks a little off or suspicious.One of my laptops had a terrible time with upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 (Computer A). The other was very smooth (Computer...