Windows 10: Windows 10 partition installs?

Discus and support Windows 10 partition installs? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have windows 10 build 1511 on a USB stick made by windows media creation tool now when install windows the drive has zero partitions. When i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by David9723, Dec 21, 2015.

1. David9723 Win User

Windows 10 partition installs?

I have windows 10 build 1511 on a USB stick made by windows media creation tool now when install windows the drive has zero partitions.

When i install the copy from the USB stick i end up with 3 partitions one is 450MB (recovery partition) and another partition at 100MB called (EFI System partition) and last partition is windows 10.

Now if i delete all the partitions and install windows 10 from the USB drive again i get two partitions one at 500MB called (System Reserved) and the windows 10 partition.

Why if i install windows 10 multiple times i get different partitions being made?

I would like it to only make the two partitions every time.

:)

David9723, Dec 21, 2015
  2. neilpzz Win User
    neilpzz, Dec 21, 2015
  3. lth3po Win User
    Recovery Partition upgrading to Windows 10

My laptop came with windows 7 installed with 3 partitions:

System, Active, Primary Partition (200MB)

Recovery Partition (16GB)

Windows Partition (Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

I replaced the hard disk and did a clean installation of windows 10. It created 3 partitions by default:

Recovery Partition (450MB)

EFI System Partition (100MB)

Windows Partition (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Do I need to migrate the 200MB and 16GB partitions in windows 7 to windows 10 manually? Thanks!

lth3po, Dec 21, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

The first time you installed Windows using GPT partition scheme, therefore you'd get 4 partitions, not 3:

• 450MB Recovery partition ===> Contains Reovery tools
    • 100 EFI System partition ====> Contains boot code. Without it, Windows won't boot
    • 16MB MSR partition ====> hidden from Disk Management, Required for GPT disk type
    • C: drive.

The second time you installed Windows using Legacy MBR, therefore you'd get 2 partitions:
    • 500MB Reserve partition ===> Contains Recovery tools and Boot code
    • C: drive.

topgundcp, Dec 21, 2015
  5. David9723 Win User
    How do you select GPT or MBR when installing windows? I have seen no choice in the windows 10 install screen.

Thank you for the quick reply! *Smile

David9723, Dec 21, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    From the boot menu, there are 2 selections for the USB: 1 started with prefix UEFI-USB..., the other is just USB...
    Example is from my PC, Yours might look different:

Windows 10 partition installs? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Dec 21, 2015
  7. David9723 Win User
    So it depends on what mode your USB device is in does that apply to only USB? What about a DVD drive. Here's a pic of my boot option.

Thanks again!

David9723, Dec 21, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

Same for DVD. From your sreen shot: 1 is for MBR, 2 is for GPT

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 partition installs? - Similar Threads - partition installs

2. After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data: Below is all the data from System Information, just the machine and the drives.Basically, I reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD drive. It had two partitions that I had made, one for windows and one for programs that run faster from the SSD. I have two Seagate hard drives, one...
  3. After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data: Below is all the data from System Information, just the machine and the drives.Basically, I reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD drive. It had two partitions that I had made, one for windows and one for programs that run faster from the SSD. I have two Seagate hard drives, one...
  4. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  5. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

"KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  6. I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...: I'm trying to follow the Instructions to manually resize the partition to install the WinRE update and I'm stuck at the place where I enter "sel disk". I got the error 0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE when I attempted to install the updates. When I enter the command...
  7. I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...

I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...: I'm trying to follow the Instructions to manually resize the partition to install the WinRE update and I'm stuck at the place where I enter "sel disk". I got the error 0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE when I attempted to install the updates. When I enter the command...
  8. I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...
  10. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...