Windows 10: Windows 10 password, including Windows Recovery Environment

Discus and support Windows 10 password, including Windows Recovery Environment in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My wife is marginally technically literate and I am trying to help solve a problem with her computer. A few months after she bought her computer in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tree.mosey, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Windows 10 password, including Windows Recovery Environment

My wife is marginally technically literate and I am trying to help solve a problem with her computer. A few months after she bought her computer in 2018, she set up login details for her user account which is the only one on the computer. First she set up the fingerprint identification, and then she set up a PIN. She doesn't think she set up a password, but it's also possible that she doesn't remember or she set one up accidentally without realizing it.

Now her computer is having serious problems with the BSOD and constantly crashing. I went into safe mode and tried to uninstall some recent installs, like Avast and McAfee WebAdvisor. It seemed to improve but is still crashing.

Multiple times we went into Windows Recovery Environment and tried to enter things like "Reset". Unfortunately it asks for a password. The PIN that she normally uses to log in to her computer doesn't work wrong password. So at this point we are really confused what this pass word is. I can only see the following options:

-The WinRE is somehow corrupted and isn't accepting the PIN, even though she can still log in to Windows with this.

-The computer is confused, it is blocking entry because it knows that there is a PIN and fingerprint on this computer, but there is actually no password set. Even though there is no password it still doesn't allow entry.

-My wife accidentally set a password and doesn't realize it.

I assume that this password it is asking for is not the same as the Microsoft password that you use to log in to Skype, or this community, for example. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help you can provide as we need to access the Windows Recovery Environment.

:)

tree.mosey, Jan 22, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

Windows Recovery Environment password

It's not an 'assertion', it's a fact. Brink says so in his tutorial...
    Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

...and so does Microsoft.

3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 22, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Windows 10 password, including Windows Recovery Environment

Windows Recovery Environment password

When booting to to the WinRE Advanced Startup from the installed Windows it requires you to choose an account that is an administrator, then supply its password even when the password is blank. For a blank password is should accept just clicking on Continue. This behaviour only occurs if you are booting from the WinRE of the installed system, as it requires you to sign into the system before proceeding. No account or password is required when booting from a Recovery USB.

Windows 10 password, including Windows Recovery Environment [​IMG]

Windows 10 password, including Windows Recovery Environment [​IMG]

That is normal, and it should accept your blank password, but I did have one system on my test machine where it refused to accept any correct password...

...unfortunately I could not find out why or how to fix it, so I rebuilt the system.

Multiple System Images using Backup & Restore - advice?

Thema:

Windows 10 password, including Windows Recovery Environment

1. Windows 10 password, including Windows Recovery Environment - Similar Threads - password including Recovery

2. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recovery environment: I have been struggling for a few days/weeks now on enabling/recovering windows recovery environment as I have been experiencing odd issues of random crashes/freezing, restart not happening, shutting down not finishing, and repairing not happening, my Pc also will not install...
  3. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows recovery environment: When I turn on my pc, it says please wait then it goes to a menu shown in the screen shot and when I press "exit and continue to windows recovery system" it just restarts and goes back to the same menu. How do I fix this?...
  4. Recovery Environment Password Incorrect

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recovery Environment Password Incorrect: Hello all, For the past few weeks I've been having issues with booting my Asus laptop. There has been a few ongoing problems with drivers and windows update. But thats another story. Ultimately I'm in the recovery environment trying to refresh the windows install on my...
  5. Windows Recovery environment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Recovery environment: I booted my pc today to a bsod with the error code Bad_system_config_info i have no idea what to do im kinda just lost https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-recovery-environment/90f7bd3e-2ad9-4618-a966-ed7545fb7dd4
  6. Windows Recovery Environment

Windows Recovery Environment: Recently my asus fx 505 laptop had errors so i decided to reinstall a new windows 10 with a flashdrive. I was wondering if there was any way i could recover my previous windows recovery environment or factory reset point from the windows.old after reinstalling a new windows...
  7. Windows Recovery Environment password

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Recovery Environment password: Windows Version 1903 Build 18362.175; Dell 8930 Please note I have searched through past postings on Windows passwords but none answer my problem. A month ago my Win10 Dell computer wouldn't boot. It took me to Windows Recovery Environment that required a password. Trouble...
  8. Windows Recovery Environment Does Not Accept Passwords

Windows Recovery Environment Does Not Accept Passwords: When accessing a tool like Command Prompt or System Restore in Windows Recovery Environment, I click my user name, type in my password, and then an error message says "The password is incorrect". This is because I sign into my PC using my Microsoft Account, which Windows...
  9. Windows 10 recovery environment

Windows 10 recovery environment: As of last night, my Lenovo ideapad 320 hasn’t been able to start. Any time I try to turn it on, it shows the Lenovo logo and says “Preparing automatic repair”, and then “Diagnosing your PC”. Then it goes to a blue screen with the text “Automatic Repair”. Under that it says...
  10. Windows Recovery Environment

Windows Recovery Environment: @Saltgrass just not sure what setting some of the Reagentc entries to "0" actually did. Both Winre.wim and Reagent.xml are under: C:\Windows\System32\Recovery If contains all 0's. ReAgentc will search for the Recovery Partition identified by ID type...