Windows 10: Windows 10 PC locking up at random times

Discus and support Windows 10 PC locking up at random times in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm not sure why my PC is locking up,when it does,there is no sound, I have to hit my reset button..Let me know what I need to post to fix this 89835 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AsheStrachan, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Windows 10 PC locking up at random times

I'm not sure why my PC is locking up,when it does,there is no sound, I have to hit my reset button..Let me know what I need to post to fix this

:)

AsheStrachan, Jul 25, 2017

2. Paint pops up at random times

Hi Larry,

We acknowledge that you would like to remove an application from your computer. However, MS Paint is one of the built-in applications of Windows 10 and cannot be removed. As for the issue regarding your email, kindly provide us the information we need below
    for us to effectively assist you.

• Are you getting any error messages when opening your emails?
    • If yes, tell us the exact error message.
    • When you stated that "No matter what I try to download paint pops up" are you meaning that the Paint application is the one opening your image files?
    • Which version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Have you made any significant changes to your computer that may have triggered the issue?
    • To remove the possibility of your programs being blocked, are you using any third-party antivirus programs?
    • If yes, have you tried to disable them and check for any pending updates and see if it helps?

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should
    re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

We are looking forward to your response.

Jomel_Santos, Jul 25, 2017
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Paint pops up at random times

Is it on your Start screen? If so un-pin

Also Bold is a little loud.

lacrumb, Jul 25, 2017
  4. benedict Win User

Windows 10 PC locking up at random times

There isn't much info to go on. It could be overheating - whats going on when it locks up. Or it could be a bad drive - check the SMART data. A good thing would be to check the windows log files.

benedict, Jul 25, 2017
  5. When it locks up, everything just stop responding,my CPU temp is usually at 60C when I am gaming, downloaded the SMART checker thing, to check my SSD and HDD..How can I check/post my windows log files?

[edit] SMART says the drives are Good,not 100% sure what I should look for other than the good on it

6. zbook New Member
    Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) chkdsk /scan

4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread

5) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

6) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows
    How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

7) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

Evaluate the performance on your computer in clean boot during typical use.
    Are the boots faster or slower?
    Are the shutdowns faster or slower?
    How has the audio video performance changed? Is it better, worse, or the same?
    Continue using clean boot indefinitely to monitor performance.

8) type control in the left lower corner search > click on control panel > click on large or small icons > click on troubleshooting > on the left pane click on view all > run the following windows troubleshooters:
    Hardware and Devices
    Video Playback
    For each troubleshooter make sure that advanced is clicked to apply repairs automatically.
    For each troubleshooter click on view detailed information.
    Report any problems with images that were fixed or not fixed.

These are some additional links to run through steps to fix audio:

https://www.kapilarya.com/audio-not-...sound-problems

Run HDTune to check the health, and scan for errors,

no quick scan but full scan

run a benchmark

It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.

When above is done please make screenshots of the following
    the health,
    the error scan,
    the benchmark
    include the following: transfer rate,access time,burst rate, and cpu usage.
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

zbook, Jul 25, 2017
  7. benedict Win User
    I use crystaldiskinfo to lookup the SMART info. The useful SMART attributes are things like reallocated sector count, reallocation event count. Ideally they should be 0.

Are you only experiencing lockups mostly during gaming?

Edit-- ok you title says "locking up at random times".

benedict, Jul 25, 2017
  8. Windows 10 PC locking up at random times

Any preferred benchmark programs?

9. benedict Win User
    benedict, Jul 25, 2017
  10. Info from the first three admin cmds
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /scan
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    394496 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    14325 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    511688 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    58597 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    37613784 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

243618815 KB total disk space.
    114855428 KB in 279815 files.
    143960 KB in 58598 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    708711 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    127910716 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    60904703 total allocation units on disk.
    31977679 allocation units available on disk.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

11. 5) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)
    Went there an my boot is set to selective to start,wondering why its like that

12. zbook New Member
    If you did not make any prior modifications of the system configuration view all of the services boxes and see if there is one that was unchecked. If not continue with the steps and we can come back to that at a later time. It may take an in place upgrade repair to fix it without knowing the underlying cause.

zbook, Jul 25, 2017
  13. Windows 10 PC locking up at random times

Defraging both my HDD today so won't get much more than I got done

AsheStrachan, Jul 26, 2017
  14. SSD-C drive HDTune screen shots

Windows 10 PC locking up at random times [​IMG]

AsheStrachan, Jul 26, 2017
  15. FIrst HDD HDTune Screenshots

AsheStrachan, Jul 27, 2017
Thema:

Windows 10 PC locking up at random times

1. Windows 10 PC locking up at random times - Similar Threads - locking random times

2. PC Locking up/becoming unresponsive randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Locking up/becoming unresponsive randomly: GPU: RTX 2060 Super CPU: Ryzen 7 3800xRAM: 32g Corsair MoBo: MSI x570 Recently I have been having an issue where my computer will begin to become unresponsive. At first I thought that it was totally at random but I have narrowed it down to when I am watching a youtube video....
  3. Windows kinda locks up randomly

Windows kinda locks up randomly: Hello, Since a few days my OS keeps freezing at random points. I can still use the mouse and do some things, but I can't access the Taskbar. Windows key doesn't work, but alt+tab does. Task manager does show up after some time, but I can't interact with it until it crashes...
  4. Windows 10 randomly locks up

Windows 10 randomly locks up: Hi, I have a Windows 10 problem. My PC is randomly locking up. Sometimes while using and sometimes while I am away. I have to power cycle to get it back. There are no responses to the mouse or keyboard. I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue, and only have the...
  5. Windows randomly freezing and locking up

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows randomly freezing and locking up: Hi, Recently my windows has started to randomly freeze and lock up. My browser will no longer be able to access the internet or search anything, file explorer will stop responding and any active applications open will also stop responding. I am able to access the start menu...
  6. pc locks up randomly in 1909

pc locks up randomly in 1909: my hp probook 6555b keeps locking up after start up its 15 to 45 min after start up i amon 1909 latest build in preview ring. pls help windows home ed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-locks-up-randomly-in-1909/a1d99e1e-ce44-46db-81ff-f567bbfdb64c
  7. windows 10 locking up randomly

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows 10 locking up randomly: soo everytime i run my laptop after a serveal minuites the windows turn in sleep mode surprisingly and also this happens randomly and i don't know why and i literally didn't have any solution for this problem but i don't know exactly if the laptop sleeps or locks up cause...
  8. Windows 10 randomly locks up

Windows 10 randomly locks up: Hi, I have a Windows 10 problem. My PC is randomly locking up. Sometimes while using and sometimes while I am away. I have to power cycle to get it back. There is no responses to mouse or keyboard. I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue, and only have the event...
  9. PC locks up randomly (No BSOD)

PC locks up randomly (No BSOD): Not sure if my title is too vague, but here is my issue. Recently built a new PC, running Win 10 pro. Had issue with graphics card and removed to RMA it. Got new CPU to utilize integrated graphics ports. Every once in a while (about once or twice a week) PC will lock-up,...
  10. PC Randomly locks up and freezes

PC Randomly locks up and freezes: Hey guys, first off I hope you all had a great Xmas and New Year... So since the update for windows that's recently dropped, I keep having random crashes, well more of a freeze, I can still see everything on the screen but nothing will respond I have to power my system...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 locking at random times