Windows 10: Windows 10 PC locks up/freezes when gaming. I have to hard restart.

Discus and support Windows 10 PC locks up/freezes when gaming. I have to hard restart. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Since I built my PC back in 2016 I have had a reccuring problem in which when I'm playing certain high-performance video games, my PC will suddenly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mattyb_98, Sep 8, 2020.

1. mattyb_98 Win User

Windows 10 PC locks up/freezes when gaming. I have to hard restart.

Since I built my PC back in 2016 I have had a reccuring problem in which when I'm playing certain high-performance video games, my PC will suddenly freeze/lock up. I then have to hard reset it to get it going again. Because of the hard reset, I am not getting a BSOD and of course that means no dump files to analyse which makes things so much harder to pinpoint.

Between 2016 and now, I have gotten a new CPU, GPU, Memory, SSD, HDD and WiFi adapter. I feel its safe to rule those components out due the problem still persisting after all those changes. I've done numerous memory/disk scans along with stress tests which all come back as good. I've tried disabling services that I don't need along with updating chipsets, BIOS, drivers and Windows updates.

This problem used to happen with another high performance game until I upgraded my GPU which solved the issue for that game. I have noticed that my CPU is reaching up to 90 degrees in game, not sure why thats happening as the CPU's fan is connected properly and there is the right amound of thermal paste applied.

Specs

Windows 10 Home 64-bit version 2004

Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
    16.0GB RAM
    Gigabyte B150M-D3H-CF
    GTX 1070 4095MB
    SSD: Apacer AS340
    HDD: WD 1863GB

PSU: HEXA 500

:)

mattyb_98, Sep 8, 2020
  2. little cat, Sep 8, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 8, 2020
  4. Naki Win User

GPU-Z (driver?) causes Windows 10 PC to hard lock (freeze)

Yes, I know Windows 10 Insider Preview is not 100% stable by default.
    However, it seems even with RTM/Release version of Windows 10 this one PC of mine - only it, the others are fine - still has issues.

My other PCs - 3 of them - run and get Windows Insider Preview updates and can reset/restart/etc without any such reboot stalling issues.
    There is something specific to this 1 PC that fails, but I do not know what it is, nor do I need help with that here.
    IF I needed help with this, I would post to the proper forum section, i.e. not this one.

The section here discusses GPU-Z and I only ask for help - such a fix or maybe giving some more info GPU-Z maker may need from me to identify the issue/etc - with that hard lock issue and not my booting issue.

Naki, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 PC locks up/freezes when gaming. I have to hard restart. - Similar Threads - locks freezes gaming

2. PC Hard freezing when closing games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Hard freezing when closing games: Specs:Ryzen 5 5600xRTX 3060 Ti2x8GB DDR4 3200MHZA520MT Biostarsince approximatively 1 week, my pc has been having this issue where everytime i close a game after a 5min+ gaming session the pc would either hard freeze causing me to reboot it from the case buttons or the screen...
  3. PC Hard freezing when closing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Hard freezing when closing games: Specs:Ryzen 5 5600xRTX 3060 Ti2x8GB DDR4 3200MHZA520MT Biostarsince approximatively 1 week, my pc has been having this issue where everytime i close a game after a 5min+ gaming session the pc would either hard freeze causing me to reboot it from the case buttons or the screen...
  4. PC Hard freezing when closing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 freezes, restarts when gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 freezes, restarts when gaming: Hello everyone, I recently put together some components for my new gaming build and have been getting hard freezes when playing games. I've already tried updating all my drivers and I'm on the newest version of Windows 21H2. I'm not really sure what to do. Whenever I'm...
  6. Windows 10 freezes, restarts when gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 freezes, restarts when gaming: Hello everyone, I recently put together some components for my new gaming build and have been getting hard freezes when playing games. I've already tried updating all my drivers and I'm on the newest version of Windows 21H2. I'm not really sure what to do. Whenever I'm...
  7. Windows 10 freezes, restarts when gaming

8. PC hard freezes when I am NOT gaming

PC hard freezes when I am NOT gaming: System:CPU: Ryzen threadripper 2950x 16 coreGPU: EVGA RTX 2080TI blackMemory: 32GB ballistic DDR4Motherboard: X399 phantom gaming 6BIOS version: 1.30Ok so this problem started a few days ago after I updated my bios to version 1.30.The PC will hard freeze when doing anything...
  9. Windows 10 PC freezes/locking up. Have to pull out the plug to restart it

Windows 10 PC freezes/locking up. Have to pull out the plug to restart it: Ever since I first built my PC in early 2016, I have been having a problem where my PC would completely lock up/freeze on its current screen and the only way to switch it off/restart is by physically pulling the plug out the wall. This error only happens when I am gaming,...
  10. Windows 10 PC freezes/locking up. Have to pull out the plug to restart it

Windows 10 PC freezes/locking up. Have to pull out the plug to restart it: Ever since I first built my PC in early 2016, I have been having a problem where my PC would completely lock up/freeze on its current screen and the only way to switch it off/restart is by physically pulling the plug out the wall. This error only happens when I am gaming,...