Windows 10: Windows 10 PC - not booting and c: drive is not recognised

Discus and support Windows 10 PC - not booting and c: drive is not recognised in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a question regarding the recent failure of my Windows 10 PC which now will not boot at all. The PC is a Toshiba Dynabook A55 i5 with 8 mg... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Lotrfan_1, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Lotrfan_1 Win User

Windows 10 PC - not booting and c: drive is not recognised

I have a question regarding the recent failure of my Windows 10 PC which now will not boot at all.

The PC is a Toshiba Dynabook A55 i5 with 8 mg RAM running Windows 10 Home 64 bit Build 19041. It is up to date regarding Windows updates. It is rigorously scanned on a daily basis with McAfee and HitmanPro.

When the failure occurred, I was using the PC and scanning through my emails. It froze.

I tried a reboot and it failed. It then restarted itself and failed again. Each time it gets past the Windows logo but the windows login screen does not appear.

It restarts again and enters Window Repair. I am given the following options. 1 Startup repair 2 Cmd Prompt 3 Uninstall updates 4 UEFI Firmware settings 5 System Restore 6 System Image Recovery.

I tried 1 first with a message given that it cannot fix the problem

I then wanted to see what was being recognised on the computer so I tried 2. At the cmd prompt, used diskpart to have a look at the partitions. All is says it recognises is a volume 0 which it is calling d: not there before crash that has a size of 0. There is no other partition/volume showing. I thought I could do a reassignment of a volume back to c: is there was a volume number showing a size that was large enough to be my old c: drive but clearly can't.

I exit diskpart and try options like DISM , recboot at the command prompt. DISM is not recognised and recboot runs as long as I do not enter anything deal with drive c:

I then tried option 4 to see what the UEFI says is present. No information partition shows but when I do a disk and memory test both pass. The disk diagnostic takes about 30 minutes and the disk is meant to be about 2TB.

Does this data suggest that the problem is a complete failure of the C: drive hardware or is a software boot issue still a possibility? Or am I missing something else? Any guidance would be much appreciated and thank-you for your time reading this.

:)

Lotrfan_1, Apr 8, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 8, 2021
  3. sttubs Win User
    Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, Apr 8, 2021
  4. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 boot drive

Why do u even want a HDD/SSD that's 3TB for a operation system?

puma99dk|, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 PC - not booting and c: drive is not recognised - Similar Threads - booting drive recognised

2. Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive: Earlier today my pc crashed, upon restarting my computer booted from my hard drive rather than my ssd, showing old files, wallpapers etc. When looking on device manager, my ssd can be seen by my pc, however when looking in file explorer there is nothing to be seen. Is there...
  3. Windows Repaired drive C on boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Repaired drive C on boot: Hello, I noticed on boot that Windows did some sort of repair to drive C: I didn't manage to see it completely because I came exactly when it finished. It said something about Repairing or Fixing drive C: Now it's a new Samsung 970 Evo NVME. And this drive is already a...
  4. PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up.: I did something very stupid and had to check every component on my PC to find out what was defective. Turns out the MB battery was dead as a doornail! Replaced it. I had been trying "fix startup problems", "restore", "recover", etc. from a rescue disk. Nothing would work. In...
  5. Windows 10 PC not recognising the external Seagate Drive

Windows 10 PC not recognising the external Seagate Drive: i plug this seagate drive in a blut tooth external connection. But the PC doesnt recognise the drive.. it recognises other drives but not this one...
  6. My PC stopped booting to C: drive and now boots to Boot Manager

My PC stopped booting to C: drive and now boots to Boot Manager: This morning i woke up and turned on my computer to start on my schoolwork and realized that my PC didnt boot properly. Instead of booting from my normal C: drive, my PC booted to Windows Boot Manager. I can access all the data from my C: drive but when the PC starts up now...
  7. Windows 10 not recognise USB drive except for first boot

Windows 10 not recognise USB drive except for first boot: USB 64Gb stick works fine. The first time the 1Tb drive was plugged in it worked. However, since being unplugged I have to restart the computer before the drive would be recognized again. I have been through hard drives and USB devices and uninstalled each device and...
  8. PC does not recognise external drive

PC does not recognise external drive: I have an external drive with USB connection which is no longer recognised by my Windows 10 PC. When I switch it on there is the expected beep but it does not appear in File Explorer. Also it is no longer "powered down" after a period of non-use. When I attach the drive to...
  9. USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10

USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10: I have just updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and when I plug in a any USB drives are not recognised. I have tried a USB stick which worked but not drives do not. Any suggestions as all worked in Windows 7. Thank you. 11589
  10. PC doesn't boot from C:/ drive

in Windows 10 Support
    PC doesn't boot from C:/ drive: Don't know if this goes here or not but I have a PC that I installed a new mobo and memory on and added a HDD. Ever since the new mobo has been installed, the PC will not boot from the C:/ drive no matter how it's configured in the BIOS of the board. If I boot the PC and...