Windows 10: Windows 10 Per-app Audio Device Selection Resets to System Default Audio Device When...

Discus and support Windows 10 Per-app Audio Device Selection Resets to System Default Audio Device When... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In my day to day use I use a Virtual Audio Mixer VoiceMeeter Potato and a handful of Virtual Audio Cables abbreviated to VAC, in combination with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Flyin Squid, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Per-app Audio Device Selection Resets to System Default Audio Device When...

In my day to day use I use a Virtual Audio Mixer VoiceMeeter Potato and a handful of Virtual Audio Cables abbreviated to VAC, in combination with Windows 10's native per-app audio device preferences to control where the audio is sent. For example I would be watching a video in my browser, and playing a game. Windows would send the audio output of my browser to VAC #1 and the audio output of my game to VAC #2. Both virtual cables are fed into my virtual mixer where post processing effects are applied and mixed then sent to my speakers. In the past when reopening an app Windows would send it to the proper output, however recently Windows has disregarded the set device and routed the audio to whatever is currently set as the system default audio device while still displaying on the settings screen that it is being sent to my designated output device. The only working fix I have for this issue is to change the output device to something else then change it back to the device I want. This is highly frustrating since it is required every time I close and open an app. I have determined this problem is not caused by the mixer or the VACs but by Windows's per-app device preferences. For clarity I have added some screenshots below to better illustrate the issue.

Windows 10 Per-app Audio Device Selection Resets to System Default Audio Device When... e1e79674-5b76-44c5-b6e3-19fa112beba8?upload=true.png

In the above screen capture you can see that the audio output for Google Chrome is set to be sent to "Line 1" my first VAC however in reality it is being sent to the system default audio device, in this case my system default audio device is set as the Voicemeeter VAIO 3 and the screen capture below shows the audio is being sent there rather than the intended Line 1 VAC

Windows 10 Per-app Audio Device Selection Resets to System Default Audio Device When... 3af5c384-92a8-40cd-912e-8b570b653eaa?upload=true.png

I would consider this issue resolved when: I reopen an app that I have set a designated output for and it sends the audio to that device and not to the system default audio device

:)

Flyin Squid, Jun 29, 2020
  2. Jessen P Win User

Problem with audio devices

Hi Marcello,

I appreciate you for trying some steps in order to get the issue resolved.

If you're connecting to an audio device using USB or HDMI, you might need to set that device as the default.

Open Start, enter Sound, select it from the list of results, and then, on the
    Playback tab, select a device, then Set Default.

I would also suggest you to turn off Audio enhancements.

• Go to Start, enter Sound, and select Sound Control Panel
      from the list of results.

• On the Playback tab, right-click (or tap and hold) the
      Default Device and select Properties.

• On the Enhancements tab, select the Disable all enhancements
      check box and try to play your audio device.

• If that doesn't work, select Cancel and, on the Playback
      tab, select another default device (if you have one), select the Disable all enhancements check box, and try to play audio again. Do this for each default device.
    Please revert if you face any issues with Audio.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Audio device missing or inoperative in windows 10

All sound is inoperative in my windows 10 system. Happened when I reset the system using a Windows 10 download. Device manager lists " Audio device on high definition Audio Bus". Attempting to reload the driver for this device results in an error "IDT
    high definition Audio Codec error", a device attached to the system not operating" Is my Windows operating system download corrupt? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I tired downloading the Realtek Audio Manager as a substitute per a suggestion
    on this site. Installation appeared to be successful but I don't see it anywhere in Device Manager. Also got an error message that a cable was missing, needed plugged in. Seemed like it was looking for a game controller.

AdministratorKeeley, Jun 29, 2020
  4. t260g Win User

Windows 10 Per-app Audio Device Selection Resets to System Default Audio Device When...

no audio device

i reformatted my computer yesterday, and i began the process of re-installing everything. when i got to soundcard drivers, i have problems. i use onboard realtek ALC888, after downloading the latest drivers (R1.96) and installing them i have a "no audio device" showing up in the control panel.

i tried "add hardware" and manually selected new hardware device and went through that whole process. after setting up the realtek high definition audio, i went to device manager. it shows a warning sign and the details show Code 10, which then tells me to unistall and reinstall the drivers for the device which i have already done. none of this helps.

i also tried validating windows and got all the recent updates for XP and retried this whole process and i still have the same problem. any ideas?

t260g, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Per-app Audio Device Selection Resets to System Default Audio Device When...

1. Windows 10 Per-app Audio Device Selection Resets to System Default Audio Device When... - Similar Threads - Per app Audio

2. Default audio device resetting to default when system boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default audio device resetting to default when system boots: Headset - Steel series arctis 1 wirelessThe headset has a number of options for audio output chat, gaming, speakersTo allow me to hear people in discord and use them as general sound output it has to be set to speakers headset speakers when booting the system the audio output...
  3. Default audio device resetting to default when system boots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default audio device resetting to default when system boots: Headset - Steel series arctis 1 wirelessThe headset has a number of options for audio output chat, gaming, speakersTo allow me to hear people in discord and use them as general sound output it has to be set to speakers headset speakers when booting the system the audio output...
  4. Automatically change Default Audio Recording/Input device when the Default Audio...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatically change Default Audio Recording/Input device when the Default Audio...: I currently have a gaming headset w/microphone connected to my PC via USB, and another wireless headset w/microphone connected via Bluetooth. I frequently change between the two headsets depending on my current task. However, it's a minor annoyance to have to manually switch...
  5. Automatically change Default Audio Recording/Input device when the Default Audio...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatically change Default Audio Recording/Input device when the Default Audio...: I currently have a gaming headset w/microphone connected to my PC via USB, and another wireless headset w/microphone connected via Bluetooth. I frequently change between the two headsets depending on my current task. However, it's a minor annoyance to have to manually switch...
  6. Audio device is disabled by the system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio device is disabled by the system: Here's the thing.First of all, I get a lot of BSODs related to somewhat incompatible RAM etc.My audio suddenly stopped working, I'm certain that if I restarted the PC the audio would normally return. Instead though, I attempted to run the sound problems troubleshooter. Upon...
  7. External audio device detected when no audio device is plugged

External audio device detected when no audio device is plugged: My pc detects audio device when no audio device is plugged.I have not plugged any audio device but there is speaker in playback. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-audio-device-detected-when-no-audio/1e426f44-a7eb-478f-a523-2eb923a2eb12
  8. When Windows detects a new audio output device, it automatically selects it as the audio output

in Windows 10 Customization
    When Windows detects a new audio output device, it automatically selects it as the audio output: Hello, my issue lies with sound settings. Specifically, the fact that when a new audio output device is detected by Windows, it changes the system's audio output to the new device. However, this is irritating for me as I would rather do this myself as and when I need to....
  9. Audio device selection by keyboard shorcut

Audio device selection by keyboard shorcut: In Anniversary Update the fast selection of audio devices via the audio icon in the notification area has been added. It is a very useful solution. it would be also great to have the ability to switch from an audio device to another (set it as primary) through a combination...
  10. Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10 How to Change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10 The default audio playback device is the device that Windows uses to output (play) sound. When you connect speakers, headphones, Bluetooth headset, or...