Windows 10: Windows 10 Performance Degradation

Discus and support Windows 10 Performance Degradation in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, My PC is now 5 years old and its performance has been gradually degrading over the last few months until it is almost unusable. I am trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Oliver Lippold, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Performance Degradation

Hi,

My PC is now 5 years old and its performance has been gradually degrading over the last few months until it is almost unusable. I am trying to determine if this is just because of its age, whether it's a hardware problem, a problem with Windows, or with some third-party software. Symptoms are:

1. My secondary drive (DWindows 10 Performance Degradation :) runs at 100% on the Task Manager performance tab for ages after it has booted. However, I am unable to see any particular app on the Processes tab that might be causing this.

2. Occasional System Interrupts running at 100% CPU for several minutes.

3. Often Windows freezes up when trying to open the Start menu, run task manager, log out or shut down. I have to physically unplug it and start again.

4. Often Windows is unable to find my user profile when I log on.

5. WiFi often starts incredibly slowly (e.g 0.5 Megabits per second) until I disconnect and re-connect, at which point it is usually okay.

6. Sometimes when it boots, it doesn't even get as far as the login scree, but just hangs forever with the booting screen. Other times it shows it has booted, but doesn't show a login and hangs when I press a key, or hangs when I enter my password.

7. Even if I leave the computer on for a while so that any busy startup processes should in theory have completed, I still find the same problems occurring.

I've run various tools such as chkdsk and defrag and tried to locate problem applications via Task Manager and Resource Monitor, but I can't see any single thing that might be the cause of all these issues. I can't even determine if is hardware or software related. I'm considering buying a new PC anyway, but would like to pass this one down to a family member, but not if it is beyond usable.

Any advice on steps to take to determine the root cause would be appreciated!

Oliver

:)

Oliver Lippold, Apr 25, 2019
  2. pranav19 Win User

GPS performance degraded ol of a sudden.

It's not even a month when i got lumia 920, its gps isn't able to catch direction as it used to when it's new, its performance degraded ol of a sudden since 2 days, wat can be the reason, please suggest as GPS is very important for me.

pranav19, Apr 25, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 25, 2019
  4. Cr00zng Win User

Windows 10 Performance Degradation

Startup performance degradation...

There's an app on my system that causes startup performance degradation:

Windows 10 Performance Degradation [​IMG]

The file name in the event viewer is "Devic" and in details tab, the folder name displayed as "C:\Devic". This performance degradation does not happen every day and presumably, during the other days the start up is normal.

The issue is that there's no such file or folder name on my system. Neither the file search with Windows Explorer/TreeSize, nor registry search, running both standard and admin account could find it.

Windows Explorer is set to show hidden items, but beyond that, I don't know how to find these files and folders. Are there other ways to find these items on the system?

TIA...

Cr00zng, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Performance Degradation

1. Windows 10 Performance Degradation - Similar Threads - Performance Degradation

2. Due to Windows Updates, my taskbar disappeared & performance degraded. how can I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Due to Windows Updates, my taskbar disappeared & performance degraded. how can I...: Earlier this year, my taskbar suddenly disappeared after an update. I have never changed the update settings before. So after an EXTENSIVE WASTE of my time, I googled for a fix and managed to uninstall the update and restore to a previous point. I turned off updates and...
  3. Due to Windows Updates, my taskbar disappeared & performance degraded. how can I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Due to Windows Updates, my taskbar disappeared & performance degraded. how can I...: Earlier this year, my taskbar suddenly disappeared after an update. I have never changed the update settings before. So after an EXTENSIVE WASTE of my time, I googled for a fix and managed to uninstall the update and restore to a previous point. I turned off updates and...
  4. Degraded Performance of MS Access Runtime Application after January 2024 Patch Release

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Degraded Performance of MS Access Runtime Application after January 2024 Patch Release: We have an application we distribute using the MS Access Runtime for Office 365 as a front-end application connecting to a MS-SQL backend Database. Since the patch release on Tuesday, we are seeing a growing number of customers experiencing serious performance issues. Using...
  5. Degraded Performance of MS Access Runtime Application after January 2024 Patch Release

Degraded Performance of MS Access Runtime Application after January 2024 Patch Release: We have an application we distribute using the MS Access Runtime for Office 365 as a front-end application connecting to a MS-SQL backend Database. Since the patch release on Tuesday, we are seeing a growing number of customers experiencing serious performance issues. Using...
  6. Why does upgrading to W11 from W10 degrade startup performance significantly?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does upgrading to W11 from W10 degrade startup performance significantly?: On an Acer laptop, I upgraded to W11 from W10 after several "suggestion" messages from Microsoft to do that. Big mistake. Bootup now takes significantly longer as well as intermittent sluggishness on the internet. Sorry I upgraded. Is there any easy fix to this?...
  7. Why does upgrading to W11 from W10 degrade startup performance significantly?

Why does upgrading to W11 from W10 degrade startup performance significantly?: On an Acer laptop, I upgraded to W11 from W10 after several "suggestion" messages from Microsoft to do that. Big mistake. Bootup now takes significantly longer as well as intermittent sluggishness on the internet. Sorry I upgraded. Is there any easy fix to this?...
  8. Enormous degradation in Windows Explorer performance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enormous degradation in Windows Explorer performance: Hello,I ran into big problems when performing the simplest operation that worked just fine 20 years ago.I wanted just to find .pdf files in folders/subfolders of a particular folder. For that I just taped .pdf in search field.Althought it contained quite a lot of folders, it...
  9. Enormous degradation in Windows Explorer performance

Enormous degradation in Windows Explorer performance: Hello,I ran into big problems when performing the simplest operation that worked just fine 20 years ago.I wanted just to find .pdf files in folders/subfolders of a particular folder. For that I just taped .pdf in search field.Althought it contained quite a lot of folders, it...
  10. Enormous degradation in Windows Explorer performance

in Windows 10 Customization

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 performance degradation