Windows 10: Windows 10 Permissions Issues

Discus and support Windows 10 Permissions Issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, hoping someone can help, as this is driving me insane and I have Googled all over for a solution but with no success so far... I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by glastolover, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Permissions Issues

Hi there, hoping someone can help, as this is driving me insane and I have Googled all over for a solution but with no success so far...

I have multiple applications which refuse to save into a certain folder - I get an error message that permission is denied. I believe this is because that folder has an old/defunct owner - the disk drive has moved across different PCs. I think the solution to this should be to reassign ownership of that folder to the main admin account I am logged into on my PC. However, when I try doing this, by going to Properties of the folder, going to Security tab, clicking on Advanced and then clicking Change next to the owner name, I get a dialog box asking me to select a user or group to assign as owner, but the list is blank. I don't understand why this is, can anyone help?!?

I have a temporary fix of running the applications as admin, but this is probably not good practice (!) and also means you have to click Yes at the UAC prompt every time you start the application, which is quite annoying. Would really love to get this fixed, very grateful for any help anyone can provide!

Am running the latest Windows build (1809). Sorry if haven't described the issue well enough, can post more details/screenshots if required...

Thanks!!!

:)

glastolover, Apr 2, 2019
  2. cdawall Win User

Windows 10 permissions...

Ok so I feel officially dumb I am trying to copy my steam library to my NAS. Both are on windows 10 pro and both have full control in the file manager. Neither windows nor fast copy will allow me to copy, both list a permissions error? This was never an issue with windows 7...so first off thank you microsoft god forbid I want to back up my data, second off what the heck do I need to do to make this work. All I could fine online was to set full control and that obviously didn't help.

Also robocopy doesn't apparently work with network locations?

cdawall, Apr 2, 2019
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    Windows 10 permissions...

How is the NAS on windows 10 Pro? Is it software or a share? Did you check ntfs vs share permissions?

Solaris17, Apr 2, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Windows 10 Permissions Issues

Permission issue

Presumably because TrustedInstaller is the owner (hence you need its permission), suggesting that img3.jpg was installed by Windows at some time.

Presumably that also means it can be uninstalled. How did you get it in the first place? Where is it located?

If you really want to delete it yourself, then taking ownership would seem a logical first step.

Bree, Apr 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Permissions Issues

1. Windows 10 Permissions Issues - Similar Threads - Permissions Issues

2. Windows 10 Account Permission Issues

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Account Permission Issues: So I was recently attempting to change my monitor color profile. I tried opening color management and it prompts me with the standard "you may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item". I went to my user accounts and I made sure that I was an administrator...
  3. "no write permission to specific location" issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "no write permission to specific location" issues: have windows 10 unfortunately, and using Kodak printer to scan docs and pics-getting message "no write permission to specific location". NOTHING has been changed by me to my system, but seems EVERY time windows sneaks in to do an upgrade I have another annoying problem. How...
  4. Windows 10 Permissions Issues

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 Permissions Issues: Hi there, hoping someone can help, as this is driving me insane and I have Googled all over for a solution but with no success so far... I have multiple applications which refuse to save into a certain folder - I get an error message that permission is denied. I believe this...
  5. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.: Hello, I recently purchased a new Dell laptop with W 10 and my PC is running W 7. I have several HD on my PC that I would like to share with my laptop W 10. I seen to be having a problem with that, because when on the laptop in my network I see the HD I want to access and...
  6. Permissions issue with a User account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions issue with a User account: I followed advice on a thread I posted and set up an account for my every day activities on Windows 10. It it just a local account and I used the instructions here. Everything is working well apart from I can't delete files in my Music folder! When I try to delete a file...
  7. Permission issue on working with network drive, Error message: An error occurred while...

Permission issue on working with network drive, Error message: An error occurred while...: Another problem out of nowhere. A USB stick on a Linksys router used as a network drive. Suddenly, can not save to the drive, and PC says "permission denied." Can find no way to change permissions. Get error message: "An error occured while applying security information -...
  8. Permissions issue while launching game, X3 Reunion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permissions issue while launching game, X3 Reunion: HI, loaded game, x3 reunion, ran fine for 2 days, now, asking for permissions before start, error3.5.10.6; Any ideas, website no help. ***Modified Title from: permissions,***...
  9. Cannot install some non W10 software updates - Permissions issue?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot install some non W10 software updates - Permissions issue?: Hi there - I have a couple of Dell XPS systems running W10 Pro, x64. When I try to update them with new applications or drivers downloaded from Dell's website, they fail. For me, the way around this is to create a blank local user account, install/update then go back to my...
  10. Cannot install some non W10 software updates - Permissions issue?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot install some non W10 software updates - Permissions issue?: Hi everyone - I have a couple of Dell XPS systems running W10 Pro, x64. When I try to update them with new applications or drivers downloaded from Dell's website, they fail. For me, the way around this is to create a blank local user account, install/update then go back to...