Windows 10: Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan

Discus and support Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The Error message I get when trying to access the shared drive is "You do not have permissions to access <drive>. Contact your network administrator to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jstar333, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Jstar333 Win User

Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan

The Error message I get when trying to access the shared drive is "You do not have permissions to access <drive>. Contact your network administrator to request access."

Current windows 10 version is 1803 build 17134.345 x64.

None of the computers on the network have passwords and everything worked fine when using homegroup.
    Since home group was pulled in Windows 1803, I have setup network sharing following this Guide "option Seven"
    How to Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10
    Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

This tutorial works just fine when sharing individual folders, but does not work when sharing an entire drive. I am not trying to share the system drive (CWindows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan :) but I am sharing a local data Drive E: installed on one of the Intel Internal SATA Ports.

I actually got this to work by watching a "You tube" video but I do not understand why I need the extra step. I am hoping someone will have the answer.

In order to get drive sharing to work I had to Setup Advanced Sharing for the drive plus I had to add this extra step:

Under the drives properties: Security Tab: Group or usernames I had to add Everyone as one of the users and set permissions for Everyone.

Why do I need to setup Advanced sharing and the Security Tab to give permissions for an entire hard drive? This extra step is not needed when sharing individual folders.

Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan [​IMG]

:)

Jstar333, Oct 25, 2018
  2. Solaris17 Win User

Windows 10 permissions...

How is the NAS on windows 10 Pro? Is it software or a share? Did you check ntfs vs share permissions?

Solaris17, Oct 25, 2018
  3. cereberus Win User
    Can't Share an Entire Drive

Google is still your friend

How to Share an Entire Drive in Windows 10 - Quehow

cereberus, Oct 25, 2018
  4. Mike0409 Win User

vistas sharing permissions... help needed

What I don't understand the following:

Firewalls= Off
    Ownership = Him
    NTFS Security Permissions = Allow user, full control set
    Share permissions = allow user, full control set
    Password Protection = Off

What the fuck is stopping the authentication??

Fit for shit's and giggles, add the user you want to the Security permissions of the Hard drive the share is on.

Meaning if the share is on your C: Drive, go into the Security Tab in the C: drive and add that user. But don't share that Drive out, just set those NTFS permissions.

Mike0409, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan - Similar Threads - Permissions problems can't

2. Drive Sharing Problem with Inconsistent Credentials and Permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Sharing Problem with Inconsistent Credentials and Permissions: I apologize for the length, but I think the information may be useful in solving the problem. I am experiencing network file sharing problems. I’ll describe them, then at the end I’ll lay out what I’ve already tried. Any help is appreciated.BACKGROUNDSituation: One desktop...
  3. Drive Sharing Problem with Inconsistent Credentials and Permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive Sharing Problem with Inconsistent Credentials and Permissions: I apologize for the length, but I think the information may be useful in solving the problem. I am experiencing network file sharing problems. I’ll describe them, then at the end I’ll lay out what I’ve already tried. Any help is appreciated.BACKGROUNDSituation: One desktop...
  4. Windows 10 file sharing permissions problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 file sharing permissions problems: I am trying to share folders between two laptop computers on the same network. I do not want to use OneDrive, just want to use Windows File Sharing. The network is set to type "private" on both machines. Neither laptop is on a domain. One is running Windows 10 Pro...
  5. Windows 10 Home LAN and Network Shares Problems

Windows 10 Home LAN and Network Shares Problems: I am at my wits end. What in the world has Microsoft done to the networking and shares access in Windows 10. I have spent days of research trying to solve the "access not allowed", "cannot access network path", cannot map to my NAS, cannot see other computer on my network....
  6. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.: Hello, I recently purchased a new Dell laptop with W 10 and my PC is running W 7. I have several HD on my PC that I would like to share with my laptop W 10. I seen to be having a problem with that, because when on the laptop in my network I see the HD I want to access and...
  7. Permissions and sharing problems

Permissions and sharing problems: Hi, This is a 2 part question which derived from the same even, but I'll ask the more important question first. My main hard drive which has windows installed suddenly died so I replaced it, reinstalled everything including Windows 10 pro again. I have 4 other HDD's...
  8. Share entire drive in 1803?

Share entire drive in 1803?: I've read a lot of threads and articles on the weird new sharing principles in Win 10 v.1803. I've managed to be able to share individual folders successfully, but I'm still stuck when it comes to sharing the entire drive. When I try to do so via the only available option...
  9. "Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers

"Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers: I've got a LAN in my home/office with 5 machines now running Win 10 and I've not been able to transfer files between them due to "permission problems". These were all running Win 7 and sharing files with no problems but now I'm blocked. I've made every "advanced" change I can...
  10. Can't Share an Entire Drive

Can't Share an Entire Drive: I have a small home network. I do not use HomeGroup. I can happily share folders, but I can not share an entire drive. Whenever I do that, and set access permissions, the drive appears on the network, but nothing can access it. It always just says that I do not have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 share entire drive

2. windows 10 permission to hard drive