Windows 10: Windows 10 Photo App - File Info Page Misrepresents Date Taken Field

Discus and support Windows 10 Photo App - File Info Page Misrepresents Date Taken Field in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When using the WIndows 10 Photo App and looking at the File Info inside the app, the "date taken" field represents the "date modified" metadata rather... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by smcl2017, Mar 4, 2021.

1. smcl2017 Win User

Windows 10 Photo App - File Info Page Misrepresents Date Taken Field

When using the WIndows 10 Photo App and looking at the File Info inside the app, the "date taken" field represents the "date modified" metadata rather than the "date taken" metadata. Because I have renamed a number of my photos, it is frustrating to see the "date modified" date in that field. However, when using the OneDrive photo viewer which displays photos by date, it is the "date taken" field that is being used.

How can I get the Windows 10 Photo App to point to the "date taken" metatdata so the correct information is displayed when looking at the File Info.

In all the searches I've done, I can only find suggestions on how to change the metadata. I don't need to do that -- the metadata is correct. It is how Windows uses two different metadata fields to display date information on photos. The Windows 10 Photo App uses the "date modified" but labels the field "date taken" on the File Info page. In OneDrive, the photo viewer correctly uses the "date taken" field.

:)

smcl2017, Mar 4, 2021
  2. randybw57 Win User

Is 'Date Taken' field available?

Here is what I believe is going on:

1. There is no Search function. For this field or anything else.

2. The Date Taken field is available for viewing under some conditions.

a. If the Date Taken field is not blank, then the Photos app displays this field as 'Date'.

b. If the Date Taken field is blank, the Photos app substitutes data from another field for 'Date'. Not sure what that field is. Could be the Windows file system date. Or maybe the Date Modified field from the jpeg data.

I'd like to see the 'File Info' information extended like this:

1. Make all the jpeg data available.

2. Use an approach like File Explorer/View/Add Columns so we could select which fields to see.

3. Save our selections across sessions.

I'd like to see the Search function added with enough function to do this:

1. Let's says I have a large number of jpegs and I want to find all of the pictures that have all of these:

a. Keyword Tag = Ross

b. Keyword Tag = Rachel

c. Date Taken = 5/15/2003

2. I could start by clicking the tag for 'Ross'.

3. That shows me all of the images with that tag.

4. And also shows me the tags in that subset.

5. I click the 'Rachel' tag.

6. Now I see all the photos with both Ross and Rachel.

7. Finally, I click the Date Taken of 5/15/2003.

8. Giving me just those images taken that day of Ross & Rachel.

9. From there I could create something. Collection, Album, etc.

Those would make for some very nice enhancements.

randybw57, Mar 4, 2021
  3. randybw57 Win User

Is the jpeg 'Date Taken' field available for viewing/searching?

This field is available as a Column choice in File Explorer.

I did a right click/File Info while looking at an image.

I see some of the jpeg related info - like Dimensions, Shot, ISO.

I'd like to see the Date Taken field if it available somewhere in the app.

Thanks for any help or advice.

randybw57, Mar 4, 2021
  4. randybw57 Win User

Hi, Kristine,

Yes, that is absolutely correct.

But that isn't my question.

My question is:

"Is the jpeg 'Date Taken' field available for viewing/searching?"

Looking at the example I provided you can see that File Explorer is showing the 'Date Taken' field

as blank. As well as the fields like ISO Speed, Location, Device Category.

That's all exactly as it should be for this sort of jpeg.

What's unclear is what fields the Photos App is displaying. And what the Photos App is calling those fields.

Can you answer my original question?

I provided the requested information.

Let me know if you need more.

randybw57, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Photo App - File Info Page Misrepresents Date Taken Field - Similar Threads - Photo App File

2. Date Taken field not showing seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Date Taken field not showing seconds: I'm trying to organize photos from different devices, and I'm a bit "finicky" about date/time accuracy, I'm using third party software but it crashes often, and would like to know if there is any possible way to see the seconds of Date Taken Pictures, or Media Created Videos...
  3. Date Taken field not showing seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Date Taken field not showing seconds: I'm trying to organize photos from different devices, and I'm a bit "finicky" about date/time accuracy, I'm using third party software but it crashes often, and would like to know if there is any possible way to see the seconds of Date Taken Pictures, or Media Created Videos...
  4. Date Taken field is cleared when editing with Windows Photo in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Date Taken field is cleared when editing with Windows Photo in Windows 11: I recently moved to a new computer that has Windows 11. After downloading pictures from my camera, I look at them in a File Explorer View->Details that I've added the "Date Taken" field. I double click on the photo to bring it up Microsoft photos. I edit the photo control-e...
  5. Date Taken field is cleared when editing with Windows Photo in Windows 11

Date Taken field is cleared when editing with Windows Photo in Windows 11: I recently moved to a new computer that has Windows 11. After downloading pictures from my camera, I look at them in a File Explorer View->Details that I've added the "Date Taken" field. I double click on the photo to bring it up Microsoft photos. I edit the photo control-e...
  6. Windows 11 Photos App will not sort by Date Taken.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Photos App will not sort by Date Taken.: I purchased PC with Windows 11 April 2022. When photos transferred from W10 they were organized by Date Taken which is what I have preferred for many years. When the automatic upgrade occured in Oct 2022 ALL of my photos are unorganized. Even if I click on option to sort by...
  7. Windows 11 Photos App will not sort by Date Taken.

Windows 11 Photos App will not sort by Date Taken.: I purchased PC with Windows 11 April 2022. When photos transferred from W10 they were organized by Date Taken which is what I have preferred for many years. When the automatic upgrade occured in Oct 2022 ALL of my photos are unorganized. Even if I click on option to sort by...
  8. Photo App ignoring Date Taken of pictures

Photo App ignoring Date Taken of pictures: I file my Pictures in folders for Year. Within the Year, pictures are filed by Date Taken. When I open the Photo App, the pictures are listed by Year, but not in Date Taken sequence. Win 10 up to date Bill...
  9. Photos not displayed by Taken Date

Photos not displayed by Taken Date: I've scanned photos into my laptop and used File Explorer to correct the Taken Date. I file them by Year and some Years have Folders for Month. Some of them have been changed and refiled. The Photo app doesn't display them by Taken Date. File Explorer has a Folder for My...
  10. Photos taken on today's date in the Photo App?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Photos taken on today's date in the Photo App?: My Windows 10 Photo App used to have a featured box that automatically displayed all the photos I took or downloaded on today's date in past years. I think I accidentally deleted that box and I see no option to bring it back. Is there a way to restore this feature so that...